PDA

View Full Version : what would make a good wing chun book

ng mui rules
08-19-2001, 08:48 PM
what would everyone like to see in a new wing chun book. most of the wing chun books out there have fairly basic stuff in them like sil lim tau, basic chi sau, stances and blocks. but for us more advanced WC practitioners those books don't help a whole lot. so what would everyone like to see more of in new wing chun books comming out. history, chi sau, drills, philosphy, self defence, chi kung, what would good to see in a new book. i would like to see more drills and trapping patterns. bye the way, the book yeun kay san wing chun kuen is a great book, it is my favorite.

whippinghand
08-20-2001, 01:11 AM
the truth

Mojo
08-20-2001, 01:14 AM
How about a pop-up cardboard Yip Man when you open the book ?

:D

Martial Joe
08-20-2001, 02:35 AM
That would be cool...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

Scott
08-20-2001, 03:00 AM
If you think you know everything, its time to go back to the basics.

-Scott
(Is Whipping Hand rubbing off on me?)

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

Gluteus Maximus
08-20-2001, 03:10 AM
Internal Wing Chun. There is just such a book on the way, to be published before the end of 2001.

Max

To know the unseen, you must first learn to see.

whippinghand
08-20-2001, 05:44 AM
Well put.

Gazza
08-20-2001, 06:14 AM
Are you whipping off on rubbing hand?
Ha Ha :D

Gazza
08-20-2001, 06:41 AM
Just kidding by the way, I also agree.
Keep cool. :cool:

Gary.

burnsypoo
08-20-2001, 05:32 PM
There's a book like this available already. It's written by Sifu Scott Baker. If memory serves me, you can read a sample of the book online, and take a look at the table of contents. I think it was at www.insidekungfu.com (http://www.insidekungfu.com)

I bought/read it. Really interesting stuff.

-BP-

Gluteus Maximus
08-21-2001, 04:35 AM
Thanks burnsypoo, that's the one I'd heard of. I didn't know it was available yet. I'll check that website and order it now.

Cheers,

Max

Yooby Yoody

jesper
08-21-2001, 03:42 PM
I think that most books are very superfacial (spelling). They describe technics, but dont go into details as to how and why to use it.
For instance I am doing a private book to give to my students and have found that a "simple" thing like showing the basic steps takes 5 pages to describe without pictures. on top of that I spend 20 more pages arguing the pros and cons, the when and where :)

Of cause this is only for people who wants to truly understand the mecanisme of WT, like me

bert.nes
08-23-2001, 04:01 AM
Heres a bit of a story

5 yrs ago I was a trainee instuctor I had trained on and off for 5 yrs I started when I was 14-15 anyway, we started training another trainee instructor he had had fight experience before a (bluer) you might say tall skinny type of man about 19-20yrs old he picked up wc quickly but liked to drink and boast in pubs about how good he was by the time we figered we had a potenial problem he was already quit skilled when I say skilled he liked the fact that 1punch can knock apponent after apponent down with ease (we live in a tough town) well one night he was harrsed I wont go into details but out side the situation had esulated 1right elbow broke eye socket and nose 1left wc punch broke other check bone and poped an eye 2 blows $50 thousand NZD worth of damage 2yrs in jail never had a record before, this could have been avioded this is the true power of wing chun plus I know for a fact that he had a long way to go in his power development how do I know this well I still train him he pumped Iron for three years solid while running from the law when he turned himself in he was 5x bigger than hes was before he pumped iron in jail and when he got out he was very strong now I have to be responsible ofcourse so I am trying to teach him the more controling aspects of wc this a dorrman or bouncer should know how to get out of situations with causing minimum damage even againt multible attackers I always said to my freind to look at how he got himself into that situation in the first place as well as how he was going to get out of the situation without thinking at all offcourse anyway Id like to see a book that cover concepts for real life situations using the right force and when. Cherrs.

chi-kwai
08-23-2001, 04:58 PM
Do they have punctuation in New Zealand? ;)

serioualy though, your friend might have been a bit overzealous. sorry to hear about that.

--
chi kwai

HuangKaiVun
08-23-2001, 08:42 PM
The 3-volume Joseph Wayne Smith WC series is exactly what you're looking for, ng mui rules.

The writing itself doesn't have much internal emphasis, but the style taught in the book most certainly does when done PROPERLY.

That bookset even includes the pole form and butterfly swords.

Printer
08-24-2001, 01:14 AM
A good Wing Chun Book?

I know everyone is tired of seeing only the basics out there.....but.

I am very new to this. I have seen three differnet books and none of them even covered basic footwork, stances and the like.

I have also researched sil lim tau. I have found several versions in books, on the net and even seen one in video. None of them were the same. Yes, they had some of the same moves but none were the same and none are like the one being taught in the school I goto.

As for what to put in a book. At this point, I find it impossible to look into it any further. Any attempt to research, learn or reinforce any training received just gets me totally confused and frustrated.

mun hung
08-24-2001, 07:57 PM
IMO, I have'nt seen a WC book out there that really impressed me. I feel that there is entirely too much information to be covered in just a few volumes - which most try to attempt.

What I'd like to see is about twenty GIANT volumes covering everything.

Any takers?

whippinghand
08-25-2001, 12:11 AM
hang on to your pants... there will be one.

HuangKaiVun
08-25-2001, 05:56 PM
C'mon guys, check out the books I told you about!!!

Try first, complain later.

hunt1
08-26-2001, 06:35 AM
the smith books are all most worthless.(there is always something to be learned from anyone but i wouldnt waste your money on them.best WC books so far are the Choe(sp0 weakland books.they do a nice job for books that are 20 years old.cover footwork,kicks all 3 forms and even a few nice techniques not often shown.

HuangKaiVun
08-27-2001, 08:33 PM
Why are those books worthless, hunt?

I learned quite a bit from them, and what they did was actually more refined than the stuff I learned from my sifus.

hunt1
08-27-2001, 10:19 PM
worthless may be to strong however the books are very superficial.I am sorry to hear you learned a great deal from them,not because they helped you ,that is good but because of what it tells me about what you learned from your Sifu.Just look at the body structure of both smith and Felix.That alone explains my comment.
If you get a chao/weekland book you will understand the difference.If you learned from the Smith books then you will really learn something from these books.

dzu
08-27-2001, 11:05 PM
A WC book is like a roadmap. It can show you one route to the destination, but there may be other ways. Some roadmaps lead to nowhere, and others take you the long way. Ultimately, you have to strap on the seatbelt and drive to find out yourself.

Dzu

HuangKaiVun
08-28-2001, 02:58 PM
Of course I can see the imbalances in the body structure of those two guys.

Their EXPLANATION is better than their form, in my opinion.

HuangKaiVun
08-28-2001, 03:01 PM
Nor do I bother with Smith's "Sun Tzu Quan" stuff that unites Muay Thai and White Crane into a single system. Wing Chun is good enough as it is.

All books have good and bad points.

It is the novice practitioner who cannot fish out the good points from the bad ones, hunt1. Remember that and you'll improve from a variety of sources.

But I will check out your book. Thanks!

chongnoi
08-28-2001, 07:58 PM
IMHO below are listed some of my favorite books: (this does not mean i endorse any particular orgaization, agree with all the techniques, or practice the forms exactly the same!_just saying that they are pretty good books!)

All three of Ling Ting's books
the Wing Chun collection (6 books) by Randy Williams
And Wing Chun Gung Fu by Lee )technical editor Bruce Lee)

Taking it to the Street by Mac Animal Macyoung
and finally "Living the Martial way"