PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Randy Williams seminar

vertical fist
08-19-2001, 10:20 PM
Great seminar here in MD yesterday. Warmed up with some self-structure training; several blocks in cho ma then paired up for some applied structure in open stances; defending against jab/jab/cross using pak/pak/tan da, bong/bong/lon da, etc. We then went into lop sau drills and some "combat lop sau" which is lop sau with an improvisational twist. This was followed by chi sau, "sticky hand" training with emphasis added on "sticky feet" :)

I met Sifu Randy the day before and I gotta say, what a great guy. The man's got a "sweet spirit". He really cares about the individual. And looks to "break the ice" with new students making them feel truly welcome at CRCA. He's got a good heart. I bought a couple shirts from him, the total was 24 bucks, I gave him a 20 and a 5.
He said "Hold on, lemme give you your change."
I said, "Naw, it's cool Sif, forgetta bout it."
"No. Here." He insisted. A little thing like that impressed me. And then, during the seminar, I had to roll out early, due to a family emergency ( which turned out, praise God, not to be serious). I left like halfway through the seminar. He made sure I got 30 bucks back from a $54 seminar. ****, I didn't expect that. I didn't hope for it either. I thought that was very cool of Sifu Randy.
It's no wonder so many of his students jump to his defense.
He doesn't treat you like a customer. He treats you like a friend and like a student only when appropriate. He's an excellent teacher, explaining theory and technique very well.

Overall it was a great time, one which I look forward to experience again.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."

aelward
08-20-2001, 12:58 AM
I also did a Randy Williams seminar in Virginia a couple of years back, and I share the same opinions as you do. He is really a great guy!

JK-
"Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

Tap Man
08-22-2001, 04:08 PM
Hey it was cool talking with you. glad nothing was too serious with your emergancy. Let me know what you think of the chalk powder suggestion for the knife training we talked about during one of the breaks. It was a great Sem.

TAP MAN out

aelward
08-23-2001, 07:30 AM
Hey Tap Man,

Are you from Rick McGee's school in Richmond?

JK-
"Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

Tap Man
08-23-2001, 03:51 PM
I have trained with Rick in BJJ and in CRCA WC. Due to personal reasons I don't not train with Rick anymore. I now train exclusively with Randy Williams and with my instructors of the respective arts that I had been training with prior to my training with Rick. His BJJ classes were great and I learned an amazing amount while we were training together.

perhaps we have met?

Tap Man out