PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Spar?

Reggie1
10-25-2004, 02:05 PM
With the huge number of posts I've seen in the last couple of days, I was just curious as to how often different people spar, and how much of it they include in their training. I'm a total noob to the MA world, and was just curious what different people thought as 'good' sparring time.

And I was thinking of 'sparring' as working against active resistance.

FatherDog
10-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Three to five times a week, depending on how busy I am.

SimonM
10-25-2004, 03:37 PM
2-3 15-30 minute long bare hand matches per week.

1-6 2-4 minute long kick-boxing or boxing matches per week.

Depending on how and when I have to work and the availability of training partners.

wiz cool c
10-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Push once a week and box once a week.

FngSaiYuk
10-25-2004, 04:30 PM
1-3 times a week depending on my partners' schedules.

'good' sparring time = developing/improving technique. If I'm able to nail down the timing for a particular technique and apply it or improve, then it's good. Technique can be just about anything - it's especially good if the technique is a counter for something I couldn't deal with too well in the past.

Dark Knight
10-25-2004, 04:36 PM
I was sparring 5 time a week when I taught full time, now its 2 times a week.

Experience is the best teacher, fight with as many people as you can. A good instructor will coach you.

Enforcer-
10-25-2004, 08:26 PM
most thai boxing gyms spar on wednesdays but in my current gym I ask people if they want to spar sometimes so I do it mroe often 2-3 times per week. And in Thailand they play fight or spar slowly (like systema) so they dont egt injured since they fight all the time. So hard sparring in essence isn't needed if you fight enough (hence back in the day kung fu masters would fight all the time as well vs bandits and challenge matches).

joedoe
10-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Once a week until I got injured.

MoreMisfortune
10-25-2004, 08:30 PM
im pizzed off, my bro kick my ass 4 times in a row using Terry on SNK vs Capcom Chaos (its emulated, if any wanna i pass it to you, the bong).
i ended his stream of victories using Sagat finally
but before that i beat him 3 times in a row using Zero
so i guess its fine after all
I admire my bros video games skills
The only one higher than him is myself

Shaolin Dude
10-25-2004, 09:27 PM
we and my friend spar once in a while, so maybe once a week

Dark Knight
10-26-2004, 04:19 AM
Dude, try to find a couple people to spar with. The more you can the better rounded you will be.

You live in Boston, there is a martial arts school on every corner. I am sure you have friends who want to spar.

Ming Yue
10-26-2004, 04:48 AM
once a week, 2-3 rounds

Reggie1
10-26-2004, 07:17 AM
This is good stuff.

Meat Shake
10-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Once or twice a week. Was up to 4 or 5, but the SC group isnt currently meeting...

Reggie1
10-26-2004, 07:37 AM
MS, give me some more time to learn my style and I can come down to SA so you can toss me around some. I really want to try and spar people of different styles than myself.

Meat Shake
10-26-2004, 07:51 AM
"MS, give me some more time to learn my style and I can come down to SA so you can toss me around some. I really want to try and spar people of different styles than myself."

Better come soon bro, I move to minneapolis on december 17th.
Im down any time you feel like comming down until then. If you arent ready to spar, just come down and Ill teach you some throws or work with you on whatever style it is you do. Im always interested to see how other people approach different problems. Ive got pretty much a full gym at my house including several specialized shuai chiao training tools.

Water Dragon
10-26-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm just getting back into training again beginning Thursday, but I think the training schedule is the same.

We'll do some combination of Boxing/Muay Thai twice a week for about 3-4 rounds. Of course when I play, it ends up being San Da.

We'll spar in BJJ for about 45 minutes every class, so about 4 times a week for me. My coach is not a big takedown fan, so I don't get to work my throws as much as I'd like. I just use what I already have in Kickboxing and BJJ.

Dark Knight
10-26-2004, 08:11 AM
I really want to try and spar people of different styles than myself.

Thats a great way to go, meet people who want to work out with you (not prove something) and you learn alot.

katrina_stearns
10-26-2004, 08:19 AM
when ever opportunity and partner schedule allows. Grappling seems easier to train at the mo, and most recently with chinese police, but for some reason, can't find boxing partner??? :confused:

optimistic for soon.

David Jamieson
10-26-2004, 09:18 AM
1x and occaisionally 2x per week.

you doing a survey or something?:p

MasterKiller
10-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by katrina_stearns
when ever opportunity and partner schedule allows. Grappling seems easier to train at the mo, and most recently with chinese police, but for some reason, can't find boxing partner??? :confused:

optimistic for soon. I think Ego_Extraordinarre was also training with the Chinese police. You should look him up.

Ray Pina
10-26-2004, 09:26 AM
I mix it up with my friends. Sometimes we spar twice a week, each of us going for two or three rounds against each other so you have about 3 or 4 fights a night.

Other times we chi sau, 2 or 3 times a week, the same deal, everyone working with everyone else.

Sometimes we just box using hands and no kicking. Sometimes punching with light kicking. Sometimes all out.

This week we're doing something new. We start sitting on the floor back to back wearing caged headgear. Lot's of fun. Now when I grapple I like using the headgear so I can pin and strike. I prefer this to locking.