PDA

View Full Version : Sword defense

SLC
10-17-2001, 04:44 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0110/17/national/national111.html

A guy used a samauri sword to fight off some house breakers. He won... if the law backs him up.

wu_de36
10-17-2001, 05:07 PM
Yeah, he would been in the right if he'd just given them all his money and possessions and prayed they didn't need anything else.

Just sit in the corner in a little non-threatening fetal ball and for god sakes don't fight back. That's only going to get you hurt.

And when they rape your wife, tell her not to resist so she doesn't get hurt.

As the intruders leave, thank them for not killing you.

I'm sorry to hear that Australia has reached such a pitiful low. Apparently when armed thugs break into your house it is rude to defend yourself against lethal force with the only means your government has left you (gun ownership is seriously restricted in Aussie)

I'm sure it will happen in the US soon. And there are people on this board who will openly welcome it. For the safety of children, you know.

Taoist Disciple
10-17-2001, 05:13 PM
A guy on a train journey was sitting by himself in his own compartment. Suddenly two guys entered, and attacked him. With the last ebbs of his strength, he drew his sword cane, and stabbed one of the intruders, killing him.

He thereby saved his own life.

And was promptly sent to prison.

Where is justice?

Seek naturalness. Act without forcing.

Stumblefist
10-17-2001, 05:58 PM
TDisiciple:
Do you have source for this news item on train: Web url or newspaper, whatever?
Anybody hear of Bernard (getts?), memory fails me, he shot some young thugs armed with sharpened screwdrivers that tryed to mug him on the subway in newyork. Their mommas were quite angry about it. Poor Bernard had a devil of a time with the media, the public, the trial etc.
I think he shot one in the back, like so what?
I think during it he said "here's on for you too" to one of the guys or he said "i got something for each of you" as he was getting his gun out.
I like to keep track of sword usage defence stories.
Hope that guy gets off. Police departments got all kinds of political/social reasons for not wanting John Q. to defend themselves. So he always gets caught between the system and the crooks. I think it's better to make sure the perp is dead, that way he can't sue you afterwards, although his family might.

"This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

Taoist Disciple
10-17-2001, 06:04 PM
Sorry, dont have any info about the train thing. My father told it to me.

He was disgusted.

Seek naturalness. Act without forcing.

Chang Style Novice
10-17-2001, 06:08 PM
> I think he shot one in the back, like so what?

I hope you don't mean this...

Dragon Warrior
10-17-2001, 06:10 PM
chang novice, i agree with you, there is no reason to shoot someone in the back of the head while they are running away.

But this story is different. If i was getting attacked by thugs with weapons, i'd use a sword if i could, and i'd cut anywhere i could.

For years, religion did nothing but divide. (killa priest)

Religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom. (killa priest)

KC Elbows
10-17-2001, 06:20 PM
The Bernard Getz thing was entirely different. He situation was not at the "point of no return", and he shot not to defend himself, but because he wanted to. The media trashed him, but he was really easy to trash. He lived in a Death Wish IV kind of mentality, and that's what got him in trouble. Every actor will tell you, don't be Charles Bronson. It just doesn't pay.

Chang Style Novice
10-17-2001, 06:21 PM
Dragon Warrior -

Yes, the home invasion by multiple assailants is definitely a different scenario than the Bernhard Goetz situation.

It's been a long time, but if memory serves, Goetz drew his gun before his victims drew their screwdrivers. Even if they had drawn first, shooting someone in the back is just reprehensible - you've prevented the crime, once they're running away. Continuing to use deadly force is mere bloodlust in that case.

Edit - Get out of my head, Elbows!

Dragon Warrior
10-17-2001, 06:24 PM
i agree chang novice

i hope this guy doesnt get charged with anything.

For years, religion did nothing but divide. (killa priest)

Religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom. (killa priest)

KC Elbows
10-17-2001, 10:27 PM
Your mind is an open book to me, Chang...
(pause to pet Mr. Bigglesworth)

...soon you will no longer be needed on this forum, as I will completely replace you...minnie me, watch the teeth....er...anyway, soon you will no longer be needed on this forum, and you will have to fill the time you use posting with deep stretches, plyometric push-ups, and very deep stance training. Yes, I might even start calling myself...Pain Style Hummice? Lattka Style Gravis? Hanging File Thomas?

Stumblefist
10-18-2001, 05:48 AM
"> I think he shot one in the back, like so what?
I hope you don't mean this..."
er. yes? ... from the bottom of my heart?...
But that's just me talking....
Ok, that guy was the guy who never mugged anyone else or placed anyone else's life or freedom at risk again.
Ok, forget about "anyone else", just me. Can't bother me, that's fine with me. Get them off the planet, i'm happy.
Sherrif: "You just shot an unarmed man!"
Clint: "Well he should have armed himself!"

"It hurts to set you free

joedoe
10-18-2001, 06:03 AM
Well, apparently 6 men stormed into his house in the middle of the night. I would have taken to them with a sword as well!

Thankfully in the past, juries have always acquitted the people that have been charged in this way, and in fact the police are more reluctant to even charge these people.

No need to feel sad for us down here in Oz - life is still good and a lot of Aussies don't see the gun laws as restrictive at all. Crime happens everywhere in the world, and I don't think it is all that bad here in the grand scheme of things :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Budokan
10-18-2001, 06:26 AM
ROFLMAO @ KC Elbows!!!

K. Mark Hoover

dedalus
10-18-2001, 08:24 AM
I just wanted to back up what ABandit said - Australian culture generally isn't a gun culture like it is in the US, and besides farmers nobody here needs guns or misses them. If handguns were legal for the public I reckon we have more deaths from accidents and trigger happy cops than from assaults. Come to think of it, I'd kinda like to see police patrols unarmed too, like they are in the UK.

As far as the guy with the samurai sword is concerned, we have home invasion laws that tend to balance out weapons laws. Except for the stuff about the crime being drug related (which, like being a martial artist, never looks good to the jury) I wouldn't expect this guy to have major problems.

I guess that if there's any take-home message from this thread, it's that you don't want to be involved in mortal combat regardless of your perceived rights. Everyone loses.

dedalus
10-19-2001, 03:37 AM
I heard an update on the news last night - that guy was attacked in a warehouse, not his own home. Its starting to look dodgy...

Stumblefist
10-19-2001, 07:28 AM
Here's the news item from the posted url. Doesn't sound dodgy to me. Are you hearing things? "rumours" or have facts: news sources?
-----------------------------------------
"A man may face charges after using a samurai sword to fight off a gang of intruders in his Adelaide home, killing one and seriously injuring another.

Police have questioned the 27-year-old man, who was also injured, but today had not decided whether his actions were reasonable in the circumstances.

Police said four to six people armed with sticks, iron bars and possibly a knife broke into the Devon Park house just after midnight last night, attacked the occupant and demanded money and drugs.

A fight broke out and one of the intruders suffered two stab wounds to the chest.

He was later found dead in a hallway."

"It hurts to set you free

dedalus
10-19-2001, 10:06 AM
I think the source you've quoted above is wrong. On the local TV news they gave an update on the intruders who had (now) all been apprehended and showed visuals of the warehouse where the event took place. I guess its possible that the guy also lived there...

I'll post something to clarify when I've heard more.