PDA

View Full Version : Top Shaolin Training in the USA?

Theoderic
10-25-2004, 06:07 PM
What are the top Shaolin Training schools in the USA? I have ran across a few so called schools in my travels that have been anything but Shaolin.

Best regards
Theoderic

Brad
10-25-2004, 06:16 PM
What sort of Shaolin are you looking for?

norther practitioner
10-25-2004, 07:23 PM
And where are you looking for it?

Shaolinlueb
10-27-2004, 08:09 AM
yeah where you looking and what ar eyou looking for.

Theoderic
10-27-2004, 01:43 PM
I am looking for study with a tradional instructor of the northern shaolin style that directly decends from what was taught by Ta-Mo.

I currently live in Texas but I would move to a place that offered great instruction.

I am also looking to study chinese healing arts, such as herbal practices for healing and internal healing exercises.

Thedoeric

norther practitioner
10-27-2004, 05:49 PM
OK, well, I concider the martial arts of damo mostly legend. But away from that, Songshan as it is now, and Bak Siu Lum are probably the two closest to old school.. There is also Northern Shaolin Long Fist as an option. Texas is a big state bud. There is chin woo in Dallas area, and plenty of Shaolin (both songshan and northern longfist varieties) in houston.

Theoderic
10-27-2004, 06:33 PM
I am a new transplant from Michigan and not quite used to the enormity of Texas :)

I live in the DFW area just north of Dallas.

Thanks for the information.

Theoderic

norther practitioner
10-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Jimmy Wong's school (http://www.jkwongkungfutaichi.com/)

A Chin Woo school. There are a bunch of people on the board from that area...

MasterKiller
10-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Just stay away from the Shaolin-Do schools in the Dallas area.

There aren't any Songshan style schools closeby. The closest "monk" run establishments are Houston. But Dallas has some good schools. Lots of praying mantis, especially in Ft. Worth. Jimmy Wong's students are sharp as well.

If I were you, I'd check out this Lost Track school. They are solid:

http://www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.com/

omarthefish
10-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
[B]...and Bak Siu Lum are probably the two closest to old school.. There is also Northern Shaolin Long Fist ...

um....you do realize tat "Bak Siu Lum " and "Northern Shaolin long fist " are the same tin don't you?

bak = north
siu = soutern pronounciation for 'shao'
lum = southern pronounciation for 'lin'

'long fist' = a slang term for "northern shaolin"

norther practitioner
10-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Um, no they are not...

not in what I'm describing

Nanjing stuff in comparison to bsl....

MasterKiller
10-29-2004, 06:10 AM
I study Northern Shaolin LongFist, but it ain't Bak Sil Lum.

Indestructible
10-29-2004, 09:47 AM
From what I understand, in California, there is a shaolin wushu school in the LA area and also a Shaolin Temple around Santa Cruz.

norther practitioner
10-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Four main schools of northern shaolin

Bak Siu Lum.. like what Northern Shaolin does (Wong Jack Man KYC et. al.)

Songshan Shaolin.. What the monks are doing now... Hong chuan, tong bei, Yin Shou gun, etc...

Northern Shaolin Long fist.. From Nanjing. Yang, Jwing Ming is probably the biggest name in the US for this style.

Northern Shaolin Long fist *.. This is the 5 northern families stuff. Hong, Cha, etc...