PDA

View Full Version : Psi of martial artists

Quick step
10-26-2004, 11:06 AM
I have read on the Internet that heavyweight boxers can generate around 700-800 psi with their punches.

For the purposes of comparison, how much can martial artists, large and small, generate with punches and kicks?

Bruce Lee, 120 lbs., was able to generate around 550, right?

One article on the Internet said that, for martial artists, psi up to 2000 has been measured.

red5angel
10-26-2004, 11:08 AM
why would other martial artists be different from boxers in how much they can generate? Do boxers have muscles I don't know about?

Quick step
10-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Actually, I think the psi of martial artists should be higher than that of boxers. Martial artists use chi and they can break a lot of boards and concrete blocks and ice and baseball bats.

MasterKiller
10-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
why would other martial artists be different from boxers in how much they can generate? Do boxers have muscles I don't know about? Structure and alignment. Kung fu punches don't necessarily look like western boxing; therefore, there can be a difference in force generation because of differences in alignment and body structure.

For example: CMA roundhouse is not as strong as a MT roundhouse.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Quick step
Actually, I think the psi of martial artists should be higher than that of boxers. Martial artists use chi and they can break a lot of boards and concrete blocks and ice and baseball bats.

rolls?