PDA

View Full Version : World Wushu Competition of South Shaolin

South Paw
10-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Date: Dec. 17 to Dec. 20, 2004
Place: Quanzhou City, Fujian, China.
Hosted by: Chinese Wushu Association, Fujian Provincial Bureau of Physical Culture.
Closing date: Nov. 20, 2004
Information and contact: Wu Shaojie at wushaojie38@sina.com / wushaojie38@hotmail.com

Anybody going?

joedoe
10-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Yup. The annual Nan Shaolin Wu Chu Chuan conference is being held concurrently with that, and I am attending both.

South Paw
11-04-2004, 05:41 AM
joedoe,

Nice to hear from you.
What style are you doing?

I have got regular invitations for Fujian based tournaments or festivals.
For this tournament they informed me too late so I was not able to put this into our calendar. A pitty.

Can you tell me something about the conference?

Kind regards,
KPE

joedoe
11-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by South Paw
joedoe,

Nice to hear from you.
What style are you doing?

I have got regular invitations for Fujian based tournaments or festivals.
For this tournament they informed me too late so I was not able to put this into our calendar. A pitty.

Can you tell me something about the conference?

Kind regards,
KPE

Well, I practice Wu Chu Chuan under the Chee Kim Thong lineage. I train under the late GM Chee's son in Sydney.

The conference is held every year, usually in Quanzhou, and is an invite-only conference. The aim of the conference is to bring together all the Wu Chu Chuan lineages and try to create a standardised core for the style. Member schools are invited to discuss the various techniques and philosophies that make up the art and to try to broaden the understanding of the art across the lineages, and to identify the common elements to form a standard.

This year is the first time a competition has been organised, however I believe it is limited to forms competition, no sparring.

South Paw
11-07-2004, 03:47 PM
joedoe,

I practice Hung Gar under Chiu Lineage.
Two years ago I have been in Quanzhou City. Saw some great performances at the local Shaolin Temple.

Please keep me informed.

Kind regards,
KPE

joedoe
11-09-2004, 03:48 PM
I visited that temple back in 1998 or 1999 I think. I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to train with the monks there for half a day, and the share a meal with them.

I will try and take photos and give a report here after I get back :)

South Paw
11-09-2004, 11:34 PM
We just stayed for a short time.
Some local masters were given very solid performances, as did the monks. All traditional. Our group also performed.
It was one of the most impressive visits we had on our tour.

Please keep me informed.
Have a nice stay.

joedoe
12-22-2004, 04:22 PM
OK, just got back yesterday.

The competition was ... interesting. There were some magnificent performances, however the judging left something to be desired. I am not saying this out of bad sportsmanship but the some of the judging decisions were very inconsistent, and the fact that the judges occasionally got into a huddle and conferred on a decision was also a little disconcerting.

The other curious thing that has been discussed here before was that everyone gets a medal of some sort (unless you are disqualified). While I can understand why this is done, in a way it takes away from the competition itself.

Overall though, it was an amazing experience. Ultimately the competition itself was secondary to the experience. I had the opportunity to meet many people from other schools and hopefully started many friendships. I will post pictures and hopefully video clips as soon as I can.

South Paw
12-23-2004, 08:13 AM
So you're back in town?

Nice to hear from you.
I'm very curious about the pics and clips.
Hope to see them soon.