PDA

View Full Version : Question about weapons sparring.

phantom
10-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Some schools have two man sparring weapons set, like sword vs. spear, double hooks vs. sword, sword vs. sword, etc. How do you avoid the risk of getting stabbed when using bladed weapons? It seems to me that no matter how careful you and your opponent are, that risk is there, causing both one or both of you to not only get hurt, but also wind up getting you into legal trouble. Thanks in advance.

joedoe
10-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Blunt weapons are always good. Also learning them at a slow pace first, then speeding them up is advantageous.

FngSaiYuk
10-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Use blunt, wood or padded weapons. Wear protective gear.

norther practitioner
10-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Screw it, if you don't get cut, you won't learn...

I'm kidding, chill out, we only do that to the new people.

gfx
10-26-2004, 08:13 PM
get a hockey helmet
some lacross gears

get a shinai,
you can modify the shinai to your liking

have fun.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by phantom
How do you avoid the risk of getting stabbed when using bladed weapons?

stop being such a *****. in my school we used to spar with live blades all the time and we found it was the only way to build real skill. i dare anyone in here to take on drew the one legged bandit.

IronFist
10-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Just use PVC instead.

gfx
10-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Just use PVC instead.

I agreed, PVCs are awsome.

wrap them in those foam tube insulation things is even better.

but shinais really give you that "umgh" in the strikes, whereas PVCs will bounce all over the place.

Mr Punch
10-26-2004, 10:12 PM
There isn't a completely safe way but starting slowly and wearing protection and dull edges would be a good idea.

I don't think shinai are so great. Although the weight of a shinai and the kendo gloves is supposed to be equivalent to a katana, the weighting is completely different, as is the feel.

Cutting straw targets is good too. The density will cause a serious impact on your wrist which sharpens up your tech. You could try lumps of meat too I guess.

My friends and I used to spar with bokken, suburi bokken and sticks. We used to hurt each other. We were very reckless and very lucky.

phantom
10-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Guys, is there any brand of hockey, lacrosse, or other protective gear that you would recommend? Thanks in advance.