PDA

View Full Version : Splashing Hands Kung fu......

Ghostface
10-26-2004, 06:58 PM
is the most dominant street fighting art.

http://www.littlenineheaven.com/spintro.html

joedoe
10-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Uhuh.

norther practitioner
10-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Is homey pullin' that dudes ear...

Meat Shake
10-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi KKM.

red5angel
10-27-2004, 07:33 AM
WTF is KKM?

MasterKiller
10-27-2004, 07:35 AM
If you don't know KKM, you are KKM. Plus, you get kicked in the kegel.

red5angel
10-27-2004, 07:40 AM
someone told me a couple of years ago but I forgot it.

David Jamieson
10-27-2004, 07:41 AM
"dominant street fighting art"

man and here i was all this time thinking is was the cotinuous windmilling haymaker followed by a curb stomp when victory was imminent.

I'm pretty certain that the amount of "street fighters" out there is not well represented by any martial art specifically. Most of the guys who street fight are home grown bangers who have neither the time nor inclination to actually study a martial art.

red5angel
10-27-2004, 07:43 AM
are you denying the power of the windmilling haymaker?

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 03:33 PM
I wasted money on these videos. Lemme say this...It had one or two good theories, but in practice where actually akward. Now, one or two good THEORIES out of 9 DVDs isn't something to brag about. I'm attempting to sell my DVD at half price....but so far no luck.

CPA was shafted in short:(

Meat Shake
10-27-2004, 03:40 PM
James Mcniels ancient taoist love making secrets seminar is really just about shafting people.

MonkeySlap Too
10-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Actually, I know a guy who cleaned out a roadhouse in Chico using Splashing Hands - saw the police report as evidence of the fact...

I'm not convinced it's the greatest fighting art, but it looks no worse to me than most pseudo cma... You can get pretty good if all you practice is *****-slappin, trippin', and stompin'... but limted in scope/strategy

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 03:49 PM
it has interesting mechanics, but I'm not much for the gist of it. You friend was proficent in other arts, correct? If so, it proves it can be used as a supplement, but lacks the base to be more expansive art.

Meat Shake
10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Kinda counter productive to shuai chiao at least...

May work with taiji though.

A bit too slappy also...

joedoe
10-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
I wasted money on these videos. Lemme say this...It had one or two good theories, but in practice where actually akward. Now, one or two good THEORIES out of 9 DVDs isn't something to brag about. I'm attempting to sell my DVD at half price....but so far no luck.

CPA was shafted in short:(

Correct me if I am wrong CPA, but I seem to remember a post of yours saying that Splashing Hands was the duck's nuts?

Meat Shake
10-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey, in all fairness I used to think shaolin-do worked.
:eek:

joedoe
10-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
Hey, in all fairness I used to think shaolin-do worked.
:eek:

I rest my case :D

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 04:29 PM
thats when I just started it and was just begining shuai chiao. Correct me if I'm wrong, JoeDoe, but I'm intitled to my opinion and if it changes with time and more education on the subject, sue me.

I now find slap boxing to be shyte.

Meat Shake
10-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
I rest my case :D

Im confused...
Rest what case? Im not CPA, and Im in shuai chiao now. Sometimes people just need to get thrown around to realize that their previous training is cr@p.

MonkeySlap Too
10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm not saying I'd do it, or even think much of it.

Just stating somebody used it well. No other skills. Just the 'ol SP.

Frankly, if you got one thing down, that will do for most fights. But note I didn't jump up to go learn it. Didn't interest me a bit really... too many 'leaks'... like most MA, I think a lot of what I saw relies on your opponent being unsophisticated.

joedoe
10-27-2004, 04:53 PM
thats when I just started it and was just begining shuai chiao. Correct me if I'm wrong, JoeDoe, but I'm intitled to my opinion and if it changes with time and more education on the subject, sue me.

I now find slap boxing to be shyte.

Im confused...
Rest what case? Im not CPA, and Im in shuai chiao now. Sometimes people just need to get thrown around to realize that their previous training is cr@p.

You boys need to get a sense of humour. I would have thought with all the dope you guys smoke you would have been able to see the funny side of those comments.

Meat Shake
10-27-2004, 05:02 PM
"You boys need to get a sense of humour. I would have thought with all the dope you guys smoke you would have been able to see the funny side of those comments."

You crazy aussies with all of your extra U's. Humor. :p
You should have thought that with all of the dope we smoke we wouldnt understand.
;)

I still dont get it. :(

Meat Shake
10-27-2004, 05:03 PM
"thats when I just started it and was just begining shuai chiao. Correct me if I'm wrong, JoeDoe, but I'm intitled to my opinion and if it changes with time and more education on the subject, sue me.

I now find slap boxing to be shyte."

This came after your post. Now I really dont get it.
:(

:confused: :confused: :confused:

joedoe
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
"You boys need to get a sense of humour. I would have thought with all the dope you guys smoke you would have been able to see the funny side of those comments."

You crazy aussies with all of your extra U's. Humor. :p
You should have thought that with all of the dope we smoke we wouldnt understand.
;)

I still dont get it. :(

I can't help it if you guys are too inept with the English language to be able to use it without simplifying it :D

Don't worry about it man. :)

phantom
10-27-2004, 05:21 PM
I think I read somewhere that splashing hands derivd from Lima LlAma.

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 05:30 PM
wait....what?!?

Pot makes you lackadazacal, not enlightened. Sarcasm is hard to pick up on over the internet, just like you missed my sarcasm;)

joedoe
10-27-2004, 05:52 PM
wait....what?!?

Pot makes you lackadazacal, not enlightened. Sarcasm is hard to pick up on over the internet, just like you missed my sarcasm;)

I thought pot helped you to see the funny side of things, even if they are not funny? ;)

Otherwise, point taken. :)

FranklinFick
10-27-2004, 06:00 PM
just curious how long you studied splashing hands, who was your teacher, and what about it you felt was aukward?

also i would be curious to find out what you thought were good theories and why?

phantom: splashing hands did not come from Lima Lama. Haumea F. Lefiti (Tiny) who started teaching splashing hands in the US was involved with Lima Lama but they are not the same thing.

here is a link to read more about his life:
http://www.littlenineheaven.com/spteacher.html

Franklin

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 06:17 PM
About a year. I dropped it because is was hard to couple it with Shaui Chiao. The theories I like: The rolling block and "chain punching". We use rolling block in shuai chiao but call it cloud hands.

Straight leg front kicks really strikes me as useless.

FranklinFick
10-28-2004, 10:07 AM
ok i just typed a responce but it timed out and i lost everything. this really sucks... so i am just going to write the jist of what i had before:

i was curious if you had a teacher or if you were just learning from the dvds. (not a dis either way)

also when you get to the advances there are alot of throws and setups for throws. They should be similar to shuai jiao but since i never studied shuai jiao i can not make that statement with authority.

straight leg kick:
theory: when you see the knee come up you have already been hit with the kick.

regular front kick: you see the knee first then the foot extends and you get hit with the kick.

to practice the straight leg kick you need a partner with a cup. the targets are the knee and groin (do not kick your partner,s knee) also if you change the angle of the kick slightly you have a nice kick to the thigh. (this is seen in brown 4)

practcing the straight leg kick also helps to condition the body. (my teacher Sifu McNeil had one class doing up to 1000 kicks a day.)

also i had written that splashing hands is not all slapping. You need to get a teacher to show you this though.

for the first couple years that i was practcing splashing hands- it was only the basics with shuffles and close the gaps and Brown 1,2 and 3. and combos of all of the above. The idea was to have the body move into the next thing without the mind having to think about what was coming next. Then about making everything faster.

if you have any questions i will try my best to answer them.
Franklin

David Jamieson
10-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Sometimes people just need to get thrown around to realize that their previous training is cr@p.

I disagree.

It is not your previous training that is crap, it is simply that any style doesn't have all the answers.

It is equally observable that the person getting thrown around has not completely grasped their previous style to start with. It's easy to blame something else for our own inability to succeed. The hill was too high, the floor was too hard, always something.

just an observation

Meat Shake
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
"I disagree.

It is not your previous training that is crap, it is simply that any style doesn't have all the answers."
"It's easy to blame something else for our own inability to succeed. The hill was too high, the floor was too hard, always something."

Hmm... Or not. The techniques were not efficient. The training methodology was not cohesive to fighting, although they do have pretty good cardio vascular work.
On the second part I quoted you... Riiiiiight..... Is that why I went to a more difficult style and after only one and a half years can use a good majority of what I know against someone who doesnt want to be thrown? Maybe shuai chiao was "just right for me" huh? No. Better coaching, better training methodology, better training in class.

David Jamieson
10-28-2004, 11:41 AM
The techniques were not efficient. The training methodology was not cohesive to fighting, although they do have pretty good cardio vascular work.

How do you know? You were a student who didn't finish his studies? Maybe you just never came to fruition? I understand there are others in the SD org who can fight fine and use what they learned there to do so. All lineage mumbo jumbo aside, it's in the hands not the certificates.

and what you are doing now is not necessarily harder, it is more likely it is just different and new and ergo seemingly more difficult.

Or maybe your last class had a lot of sitting on the floor? :p I dunno, it all requires discipline and that's where the difference in people shows when it comes to exercise or study. 50 people in a class and only one has discipline, then it's hard for the one guy and seemingly not hard to the other 49. see what I'm saying? :D