PDA

View Full Version : Attn Mat and any other Tokyo KFO'ers

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Exactly how much flack would I encounter in Tokyo with the production name SifuBeats?

joedoe
10-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Given that sifu is a Chinese term, I would suspect not that much.

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 07:07 PM
I've heard that Japanese harbour bad feelings towards the chinese

joedoe
10-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Really? I have never come across that, but then I wouldn't really know. I know a lot of Chinese harbour ill feeling towards the Japanese because of the occupation, and the atrocities at Nanjing. I know some Japanese still harbour ill feeling towards the USA over the Bomb.

Maybe you should call yourself SenseiBeats? :)

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 08:11 PM
LOL! thats what MeatShake said. I just doesn't have zing of SifuBeats.

joedoe
10-27-2004, 08:16 PM
What about MasterBeats? Or MasterBates? :D

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Or MasterBates?

Well...it would be name everyone could relate to.:D

IronFist
10-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
Exactly how much flack would I encounter in Tokyo with the production name SifuBeats?

What's a production name?

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 08:44 PM
The name I produce music under....

Mr Punch
10-27-2004, 09:14 PM
None whatsoever.

1) They don't speak Chinese: they wouldn't know what it means.

2) Nor do you, and nor is it written in Chinese: they wouldn't know what it means.

3) You're a gaijin (and not Chinese) so they'll just assume it's because you're odd.

4) This is the land of meaningless logos and meaningful logos (like the Union Jack) appropraited for fashion purposes in the name of cool or foreign chic.

5) Most of them harbour ill-will to the Chinese because a perceived criminality among the Chinese population here. Don't sell drugs or women and you should be OK (!) - they still love white people, although their suspicion of Americans is of course growing (not voting George Bush, and wearing a pin saying you hate him might help here! :D :D ;))

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2004, 09:40 PM
3) You're a gaijin (and not Chinese) so they'll just assume it's because you're odd.

Good. Good. I am slightly odd, so I'll just go with that. As for me not selling pot or women; I share my pot but always sell my women:D

SevenStar
10-28-2004, 04:27 AM
I've been told they have animousity toward koreans, but haven't heard anything about chinese.

some koreans share the sentiment. A friend of mine says

"God created the Japanese, then He realized He could do better, so He created Koreans"

Shaolinlueb
10-28-2004, 06:42 AM
you can find out usefull information from this guy about japan.

http://www.ghettocitiesclothing.com/gforum/index.php

no im not registered there :p

Mr Punch
10-28-2004, 06:47 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of animosity towards the Chinese because of the crime gangs that have moved into Roppongi and Kabukicho, which is course overbolwn in the media over here, and after a couple of high-profile murders the Chinese are the new Koreans. The old Koreans are still pretty Korean too, and they are much more hated by many Japanese!!!

But CPA could call himself ('Korean for teacher')-beats and he'd still just be regarded as a weird white guy...

CaptinPickAxe
10-28-2004, 06:48 AM
Let me once again reiterate that I will have absolutely no problem filling the shoes of Odd White Guy.:D

Mr Punch
10-28-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
you can find out usefull information from this guy about japan.

http://www.ghettocitiesclothing.com/gforum/index.php

no im not registered there :p That is some ****ing offensive ****.

Mr Punch
10-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
Let me once again reiterate that I will have absolutely no problem filling the shoes of Odd White Guy.:D No worries geez... did I say you had a choice?:D :D

Welcome to the club!

When you thinking of coming over?

Kristoffer
10-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Mat, what if he called himself 'Yakuza Beats'? Wouldn't they react then? I've heard people look down on tatoos and stuff

Shaolinlueb
10-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Mat
That is some ****ing offensive ****.

i know tell me about it.

unkokusai
10-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Mat

5) Most of them harbour ill-will to the Chinese

That's over stating it a bit.

Mr Punch
10-28-2004, 09:05 AM
I bit maybe but I dunno, I'm talking in the last couple of months or so.

Two Chinese guys stabbed someone outside a drugstore in Mitaka for some dollar from an ATM, and it wasn't a popular move.

There has been a rise in reported Chinese and Mongolian drug and vice gang incidents in the last couple of years, which through a typically racist press has escalated prejudice. When I was working for the govt two years ago, I saw the figures with my own eyes that said that foreigner crime rates had fallen at the same time as reading in the press that they'd gone up, esp among the Chinese and Mongolians.

The Japanese government passed a new law last week to make sure that Chinese people, Koreans and I think Thais, have to register their trip and do all the immigration/passport control that people normally do after the plane trip before they come to Japan. It's blatantly racist but there you go. That was a popular move, just according to feedback from a lot of students.

unkokusai
10-28-2004, 09:10 AM
To be sure in any ****geneous society there will be a certain degree of mistrust of foreigners. Its even more pronounced in China and Korea than it is in Japan ironically enough. But let's not forget that not everyone lives in Tokyo or Osaka where this type of crime (and hence the perception) is most pronounced. And Korea and things Korean are all the rage now in popular culture in Japan so there can't be all that much universal dislike, right?

Mr Punch
10-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
Mat, what if he called himself 'Yakuza Beats'? Wouldn't they react then? I've heard people look down on tatoos and stuff They'd probably still just think he was a weird white guy!!!

Of course, older folk wouldn't like it, but I assume his audience ain't gonna be obachan!

Same goes for tatoos. I have a tat, though admittedly a small one, and my western friends who tats no longer have any problem getting in anywhere like sento (public baths), swimming pools or onsen (hot springs). It's best to call and check beforehand tho. In some really rural areas I've heard of some folk having grief but...

Also, among twentysomething Japanese people or whoever, tats are becoming more popular in a lot of chic areas of Tokyo like Harajuku, Shinjuku, Shibuya and Roppongi... even Ginza. Can't speak for Kansai but I assume it's the same there too.

Basically he could call himself just about anything, providing he doesn't use the most offensive Japanese words, and probably get away with it.

Mr Punch
10-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by unkokusai
... But let's not forget that not everyone lives in Tokyo or Osaka where this type of crime (and hence the perception) is most pronounced. And Korea and things Korean are all the rage now in popular culture in Japan so there can't be all that much universal dislike, right? ... agreed, but the thread is addressed to Tokyoites... I can't claim to speak for anyone else, and obviously I'm not claiming to speak for all Tokyoites either...! Just in my exp.

As for the Korean boom, it does seem to have held after the generally pleasant World Cup experience. But, apart from a few thirtysomething young ladies, it's mostly the older 'fuyu-sona' crew getting some middle-aged lust on for Pei Yon Jun. Ugh! Not yet a groundbreaking movement.

Kristoffer
10-28-2004, 09:20 AM
oh, I see. Nice to know it's getting better then.
btw this site is kinda good. Anyone who wanna visit Japan might find it useful

http://www.tokyodv.com/

unkokusai
10-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Mat

As for the Korean boom, it does seem to have held after the generally pleasant World Cup experience. But, apart from a few thirtysomething young ladies, it's mostly the older 'fuyu-sona' crew getting some middle-aged lust on for Pei Yon Jun. Ugh! Not yet a groundbreaking movement.

There is a great parody of the whole yon-sama thing on One Night Rock n' Roll. Have you seen it?

Mr Punch
10-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Nope.

I'll check it out... but usually I find anything Yonsama no kankei aru no ha tsumaranakute kimochi warui... He makes me wanna puke or punch someone... if the parody's good it will too!!! :D

Gotta go to bed.

Oyasumi nasai.

unkokusai
10-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Nope.

I'll check it out... but usually I find anything Yonsama no kankei aru no ha tsumaranakute kimochi warui... He makes me wanna puke or punch someone... if the parody's good it will too!!! :D

Gotta go to bed.

Oyasumi nasai.

'yasumi~

Shaolinlueb
10-28-2004, 01:57 PM
to CPA my friend just sent me this link 2 minutes ago.
http://www.j-girls.org/index.html