PDA

View Full Version : Thought Process During Confrontation

Water Dragon
10-28-2004, 06:42 AM
On Tuesday night, we won a special mayoral election in our city. We took down what was probably the last Old School political machine in America. This guy was in power for 32 years and turned my beautiful city into a ghetto. He stole millions, bankrupted the city, had political opponents killed back in the 1980’s, bought votes, intimidated citizens, etc. The guy was evil. Just on Election Day they cut my boys transmission line and the engine started on fire. They pulled a gun on another of my guys at the poll, and sent 5 thugs to jump 2 of my other guys. But we won the election by 65 %! We took down the giant.

After the election, we all had a HUGE party in the Hood. There must have been over 500 people there at one point, and this is a small little spot in the ghetto. We were getting rowdy! Everyone was psyched, you could feel the electricity in the air, and we had hope for the first time in 32 years. Do you know what that feels like? It’s beautiful.

After the results were in, we all went downstairs for drinks. The spot was bumping. Everyone was having a good time. I’m kicking it with my guys, we’re talking to a few females, and we’re drinking just a little too much; just a little though. Then this sexy little Mexican nurse I’m hollering at shows up and I start rubbing up on her just a bit. Life was GREAT!

I go to the bar to get a drink for me and la chulita, and the bar is CROWDED! I had to wait about 10-15 minutes just to get to the bar. When I get there, I politely squeeze in and some wannabe looking Pimp decides he’s gonna get hard with the white guy, lol. I look at him like he’s a punk and say, “My bad man. I’m just getting a couple of beers.” About the same time, this other Cat I know who is apparently friends with him tries to calm him down. I walk away with my beers and go back to my boys and my hottie.

So here’s the relevant part of the post. When old boy started talking ****, I had this quick little internal conversation that went something like:

“Hmmm, this guys might swing, if he does, it’s coming on my left hand side. Can’t kick, too crowded. Can’t throw, too crowded. Boxing? No. That’s going to start a bar brawl and someone’s gonna get hurt. I have my knife, but there’s no need for that here. Besides, we don’t really need this $hit tonight after we just won the election. Hey! He’s got a jacket on, I’ll just pull him down into a collar choke and strangle him. When he’s out, I can just slip away like nothing happened. If I’m lucky, no one will even notice. Quick, efficient, discrete, OK tough guy, go ahead and swing. You’re about to get a big surprise.”

That was my thought process during this whole conversation. I thought that it was interesting that I didn’t even get the adrenaline rush that I always remember getting when $hit starts. It was more of a matter of fact, what’s the best way to deal with this problem thing.

I just thought this might be a somewhat interesting conversation.

red5angel
10-28-2004, 06:50 AM
when I work security I catch myself thinking alot about my position in relaiton to my opponent and how I'm going to react to anything he might try. I've got in the habit of trying not to think too hard about it because I may make assumptions about what the guy will do that are totally incorrect and in that case I may be as bad off as if I weren't thinking about it at all.
Instead I just try to think in terms of defense. Try to maintain my calm and realxed state so I can react to whatever may come. Try to think of my position to him and the environment around me so I won't become trapped or in a more dangerous situation because of the environment.

Is the rest of that sh!t for real? You seriously had guys cutting transmission lines and pulling guns? It sounds like a bad B martial arts movie.

Shaolinlueb
10-28-2004, 06:53 AM
so did you score with the mexican chick? the hel with the fight.

Water Dragon
10-28-2004, 06:53 AM
Of course it's true Red. Go ahead and read about it yourself. (http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2004/10/28/news/lake_county/4290fbb5c4e042ba86256f3b00184e12.txt)

Judge Pen
10-28-2004, 07:03 AM
To have an internal conversation like that is the product of good training. It's also a product of the circumstance. When people talk **** they give you time to size them and the environment up. It also usually means they're bluffing. If someone's really wanting to jack you, they'll do it in a way you don't have time to react until it's on.

Meat Shake
10-28-2004, 07:16 AM
lol
nice sig jp. :)

WD - I know what you mean. A while ago I was up in austin, and needless to say I was pretty innebriated... Anyhow, some rich white kid had been smoking crack or some ****, and just starts talking sh!t to me out of nowhere. Confused, I listen for a few minutes. Drunk, I spill margarita on his shoes. He freaks out, "You spilled sh!t on my shoes! Oh my god! My shoes! I cant believe you spilled your drink on my shoes! look! My shoes!"
I look at him smugly, lean forward a little, and pour more out on his shoes. He says "Oh my god! What the f*ck! You did it again!"
I scoff and say "yeah I did." (Im not a nice drunk sometimes). At this point, one of his large friends walks over to diffuse the situation, but being as drunk as I was, I thought he wanted to fight. So I think to myself, "Okay, this is a pretty big mother f*cker. He will be more trouble so I need to get him out of the way first." So I scooted over just enough to line him up between me and the other guy, and I just planned on throwing an elbow in his jaw the second he twitched (he was pretty close), and commence to beat down the crackhead once the big guy was out of the picture. Big dude sees me step over and I probably was looking a little crazy by this point, and starts telling me to calm down. I realize that he doesnt want to fight, and there is no point in beating up a crackhead. I decide my time will be better devoted to getting laid and that was that.
:)

Btw WD, glad to hear it. (bout the election and the senorita) ;)

SanSoo Student
10-28-2004, 07:38 AM
At least you were only lightly buzzed and still able to predict an outcome and possible moves. With me, after a couple more shots I would just have no self-restraint and punch him for looking at me funny. Thats why I dont get wasted in clubs and bars anymore...:(

But more importantly, when there is a possiblity of getting laid with a hot girl your talking to, it is always better to apologize and continue on with your action back at the honies. Smart move Water Dragon.

One question, you never thought of breaking the beer bottle on his head?
In every bar fight I have never thought about this either, wonder why... :confused:

Water Dragon
10-28-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
Btw WD, glad to hear it. (bout the election and the senorita) ;)

Bro, you have NO idea how hyped I am about that election. We brought down the Giant! People have been trying to do this for 30 years, and it was us who did it. Granted, I just played a small part, some of guys put in WORK! But I did write the economic re-development plan for the campaign, so I'm proud too.

Yeah Dawg, I'm taking this little hooch to The Crowbar in the city manana. It always gets you good points to take a girl from the hood to a nice club, especially when you're on the VIP list.

You should have seen this other girl I was trying to holler at though. Young, sexy, about 23-24. Probably 5'1" and 115. Nice tight big booty, perky little handsized tetas. She had that light brown skin that looks like coffee with too much cream in it, long red hair. That's the kind of girl I could mess around and fall in love with. This girl was amazing. Had a little shorty, just one, and didn't look like she goes out, but I'm gonna have to hunt her down. Daddy be good to a girl like that, real good.

Judge Pen
10-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

You should have seen this other girl I was trying to holler at though. Young, sexy, about 23-24. Probably 5'1" and 115. Nice tight big booty, perky little handsized tetas. She had that light brown skin that looks like coffee with too much cream in it, long red hair. That's the kind of girl I could mess around and fall in love with. This girl was amazing. Had a little shorty, just one, and didn't look like she goes out, but I'm gonna have to hunt her down. Daddy be good to a girl like that, real good.

It's good to be single.

Water Dragon
10-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by SanSoo Student

One question, you never thought of breaking the beer bottle on his head?
In every bar fight I have never thought about this either, wonder why... :confused:

Bro, that was the first thing I thought of. That's a classic move where I come from. Old boy was drinking Cognac, so he had a small little glass that wouldn't do much damage. I didn't have my drinks yet.

MonkeySlap Too
10-28-2004, 11:39 AM
What goes through MS2's head in a confrontation:
"You are standing in my spot,"

In the bar:
"You are standing in my spot."

On the train:

In the street:

When confronted with drunk crackheads:

Water Dragon
10-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Question Joe. What would you have done in that situation? The bar was so crowded, EVERYONE was back to back. It was one of those times you had to physically push through the crowd to get anywhere. We were at the bar, with a crowd pushed up behind us trying to get to the bar. if I would have moved his structure, it would have started a full scale riot.

I figured a strangle would be the best way to deal with all of that. What would you have done? Also, you know my strengths and weaknesses better than most. What should I have done?

MonkeySlap Too
10-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Same thing as you bro. Choke his @ss and try to keep him in place. Keep him from moving too much by joining my center with his. I'm still 'taking' his space, even if I'm not standing there. In addition to the fast choke, by making him carry my weight, I'm ensuring his mind has a lot to fight against.

My first choice is to apologize and get the f@ck out.

FatherDog
11-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Congratulations on the political victory, WD. It's always good to see people making a genuine difference in their communities.

unixfudotnet
11-04-2004, 07:20 AM
I would prefer a quick strike to the throat (with a leopard paw for example), takes less than a second, and he will not be able to react fast enough to help himself.

Plus someone bent over choking/gasping for air or something in a bar may not seem to out of place... "maybe he is just sick or his drink went down the wrong pipe". :)

I am not a fan of fighting, or fear or anything like that really, but having someone take your breath from you in an instant and be done with you is really scary and odds are you will just count your losses and move on :)

One thing I do know is that too much thinking is dangerous. Staying relaxed, and attack a hole/weakness is most important. While you were thinking about throwing and grabbing his coat and all this, his adam's apple was probably staring at your the whole time :) Need the killer instinct to just attack and not be nice about it.

-----------------------

Congrats on the win! It must feel awesome. Winning and beautiful women are some of the best things sometimes :)

scotty1
11-04-2004, 07:53 AM
"Daddy be good to a girl like that, real good."

Am I the only one who finds that a little bit creepy?

Water Dragon
11-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by scotty1

Am I the only one who finds that a little bit creepy?

Considering that we are talking about grown women, probably.

Thanks to everyone for their congrats on the election. It was a real big deal to us and we're all still hyped about it.

scotty1
11-04-2004, 08:26 AM
*shrugs*

WD, no offense intended.

:)

And congrats.

SevenStar
11-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by unixfudotnet
I would prefer a quick strike to the throat (with a leopard paw for example), takes less than a second, and he will not be able to react fast enough to help himself.

Too risky. What if you miss? Now a huge brawl has started.

Royal Dragon
11-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Do it with a "Cutting slice" then. It archs enough to compensate for his reaction, and it's better in close over a leopard paw. Plus you can use your body structure to really pop it in so any on lookers don't see alot of movement. you could get away with saying you just pushed him by his collar bone, and deny the throat shot all together.

It's one of my favorites from the Southern Tai tzu.

Mutant
11-04-2004, 04:43 PM
1st off, congrats to you and your guys for playing a part in an important political victory. fighting the good fight and finding success, thats what i like to hear. And **** man, youre quite the player chasing all that tail around, good 4 you.

As far as the potential altercation went, i think you handled the situation the right way by playing it cool and not getting dragged into something potentially stupid and dangerous. As far as potential physical responses, yeah choking him out in tight w/ his own jacket would be ideal. Stand up grappling locks would be best if you could get it. If you couldnt get a quick choke or a lock, or especially if he starting going and suprised you (& not as neat as putting him to sleep like on the spot), i would likely get in real close and take his center, keep him off balance and stick tying up his movement and keeping check on his hands, getting short strikes in as called for, knees elbows headbutt if he didnt get frustrated and chill. who knows, thats the kind of situation where you'd just have to ride with it and see where it went and at the same time try to contain it if possible, hope he doesnt have lots of friends around.

The most interesting part, the mental response in that kind of situation, seems to depend on how shocked or nervous you are, which depends of the degree of danger that youre accustomed to dealing with. You were calm, cool and thinking it thru like a technician. This is indicative of someone who's done a lot of hard contact training and sparring and is comfortable with their abilities. But one thing I realized (the hard way) is that there is always another level of terror and resulting stress that can affect your state of mind and coordination of response. The situation you were in was not shocking to your system, you were still comfortable with it. When the stakes go up and the present danger suprises you and is more than youre used to, like if there were weapons, a large group or a loved one in jeapordy, it may still be enough to shake you up, even if you train a lot of full contact with good people. For a screw-ball example, if a dude in a hockey mask and chainsaw busted in and suprised you, you would be at a different level than youre comfortable with and would have to deal with the adrenaline dump and shock and hopefully youre full-contact training would enable you to still function well enough to cope and answer, but you would probably not have your ideal abilities. I think good training keeps raising the bar for what youre comfortable with and can handle mentally. For dealing with some chump in a bar you were well w/in your comfort range. Someone without the training might have frozen up or been thrown off at that stress level where you were fine. I've seen experienced kung fu guys get into the ring thinking it would be cake and that their years of training would be adequate only to watch them freeze and completely shut done due to stress and unfamiliarity with the present danger. I would hate to see them get jumped in the street and not be able to save themselves...
Anyway, interesting topic, not saying i have it all figured out, just trying to contribute.

scotty1
11-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Some interesting responses:

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=Xing;action=display;num=1098114305