PDA

View Full Version : Sleep, training, recovery

Meat Shake
10-28-2004, 07:31 AM
Anyone know about how lack of sleep affects the bodies recovery?
I dont get NEARLY enough sleep...

Water Dragon
10-28-2004, 07:35 AM
That's just because you're still a kid. When I was your age (Oh $hit, I'm actually old enough to say that) I slept 10-12 hours a night on the reg. Now, I will just wake up after about 7 on my own.

MasterKiller
10-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Not really what you wanted, but this talks about mental errors created by lack of sleep:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041027/ap_on_he_me/sleepy_interns_1

Perhaps that fat girl you tagged last week could be atrributed to sleep derprivation. :p

Meat Shake
10-28-2004, 10:10 AM
"Perhaps that fat girl you tagged last week could be atrributed to sleep derprivation. "

Nah dude, sometimes Im just in the mood to dig for my treasure.
:eek:
:D

"I slept 10-12 hours a night on the reg. "

Holy sh!t! Id be farkin superman if I slept that much. Thats actually exactly how much a 21 year old athletic male is supposed to get... I get closer to 6 or 5. Work, gym, kung fu, music, friends, girlfriend, pot... Im a busy man. Usually dont get to bed until 1 or 2, and I have to be at work by 8.... Dont get out until 5, and I have to eat, then go to the gym... dont get out until about 8 or 9, then Ive got to play guitar and piano... then I always get stoned with the woman or CPA... Ive been trying to get myself to bed by at least 11 or 12 for the last week....

IronFist
10-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't get enough sleep because I'm addicted to the internet.

I know it can damage your immune system, which is probably why I'm sick right now.

Serpent
10-31-2004, 06:01 PM
There are three essentials to overall healthy living - good diet, regular exercise and enough sleep. Most people here have got the first two covered. Hardly anyone gets the sleep thing right. Current studies are showing that girls need a little more than guys - ideally 8 1/2 hours for guys and 9 hours for girls. I'm lucky if I get 6 most nights, but I try to make up for it with 9 or 10 hours once or twice a week. Far from ideal, but I nap as well. You do what you can.

Lack of sleep will affect your recovery rate from training, reduce your immune system and cognitive process and make you more prone to injury.

Man, I wish I had a way to get more sleep, but short of going to bed as soon as I get in every day, it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Anyone know any methods to maximise the time we do spend sleeping? I know batman has a special technique he learned where he can sleep for 45 minutes and get the equivalent rest and recovery of a straight 8 hours. I need that method! ;)

Vash
10-31-2004, 07:05 PM
I was just thinking about this topic.

If I'm lucky, I manage about 6-7 a night. The thing is, if I'm gonna work out the next day (which I do 6 days a week) then the night before feels like the night before Christmas for a 5 year old. And that's really, really great since I hafta get up at 4:30 every mornin' to get stretched out and my physical therapy done before I hit the gym.

If I take a hit of Ny-Quil (really helps with morning allergy symptoms) or a non-hangover-inducing OTC sleep medication, I can manage 8. Anymore and I feel groggy as all hell.

IronFist
11-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Yeah, if I oversleep I feel like crap the next day.

Toby
11-01-2004, 02:06 AM
I struggle to get 8. I do better with 8 than 7 though. The extra hour makes a big difference. I'd actually prefer 9, but I hate going to bed. 10yrs ago I liked 12 :D.

Vash - 4:30? Fyuck, that's early.

Vash
11-01-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Toby
Vash - 4:30? Fyuck, that's early.

Or obscenely late if I can't get to sleep the night before.