PDA

View Full Version : Guide tubes vs. no guide tubes

bung bo
10-28-2004, 09:49 AM
The last acupunturist I went to used guide tubes. Also, he would ask me where my pain was and he would stick right where the pain was. He was korean. He had diplomas on his wall from korean and chinese medical colleges.

OK, this second guy I'm going to now doesn't use guide tubes. When I asked him about them he said they're no good. The other thing is that when I tell him where the pain is he might not stick right on it but a point related to it. (ie. I have pain on a tendon in the same place as my radial artery and a needle can't be stuck there) He only uses points and doesn't stick wherever the pain is like the korean guy. The guy I'm going to now studied only in Shanghai.

Are they using to different methods from the two different schools (korean and chinese)? I'm guessing the chinese guy is using a more sophisticated method. He's good, he can hit the blockages very accurately. On the other hand, the korean guy has cleared up a VERY bad back problem I had with his method. Could some of you tell me the advantages of guide tubes vs. no guide tubes? Which of these acupuncture methods is superior?

bung bo
11-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Is anybody out there? Will somebody please answer?

Chen
11-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Interesting points. I use guide tubes because I find them more accurate and can place the tube and then insert easily. My choice really.

As for the Korean guy. He was most likely using what’s called Ashi points – straight into blockages of chi. He also probably used other points too. It’s a very effective method and works well. It obviously worked for you and your back. Both methods of acupuncture work well.

My advice to people out there is go to someone you can trust and rely on. Use word of mouth and if you have had an effective treatment stay with the same guy.

chen

bung bo
11-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Thank you for the thorough answer, Chen.