PDA

View Full Version : How many Forms do you teach per anno?

German Bai Lung
10-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Although itīs difficult to make a statement which fits to every student:
what are you experiences in teaching forms a year or so to a student?
How many are too much? How many are not much enough?

To make the whole thing comparable: letīs say a student who trains 2-3 times a week with no longer absent times than 1 week in a quarter.

Students also feel free to answer! Your perspectives might be much more worth than from a teacher! :D

shirkers1
10-28-2004, 02:59 PM
I wait until the student has learned the 14 roads and understands the tactics involved before I even think about teaching an empty hand set. I honestly haven't been teaching on my own long enough to think about years. :)

But I've never been a collector of forms so to speak, I have a hand full that I play regularly and that's all I need for now. With basics alone and a couple of forms you can keep yourself busy for a looooong time. I'll practice empty hand forms, 14 ways and iron arm on my own when I don't have any one to work out with.

sayloc
10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
That depends on many different things. It may depend on the skill level of the student or whether the student is just a
"entertainment type of student" or a serious Martial artist.

If you know the "entertainment student" will only be around for 6 months or so and wants to spend a bunch of extra money on extra forms, "God Bless em".

Every student is different as far as forms are concerned.

I have found it takes about five years to develop an advanced level student and about 7 or 8 to be an instructor.

German

If you want my definition of an advanced level student or instructor I could tell you in a pm if you want .

MantisCool
10-28-2004, 09:24 PM
About 1 form every 2 months. After a few years, it would be about 1 or 2 forms a year.

After a cumulative of many forms you would have to fine tune the forms and learn its application and the number of ways to apply the same technique. And also find the most effective coordination to apply each technique.

One form a month is too much!

FEELERSTRIKE
10-29-2004, 03:12 AM
It all depends on the student . How much time they put in (at home ) and how well they pick up the style . Are we talking about fist forms or weapon forms ? Again the time will vary depending on the student .
A question to ask is how quickley can you ( as an instructor ) pick up a form ?
Are we on about learning the moves or what the moves actual mean ?
How long did it take yourself to learn your first form ?
These are all what you must consider and remember when passing on the forms to your students .

German Bai Lung
10-29-2004, 04:52 AM
I try to answer some questions:

Sayloc: yes send a PM.

Shirker1: yes this could be a way. For me it would be not enough. Knowing a forms and practice them means a lot to me. Itīs the salt in the soup, the basics of the art!

Wolfen: yes, itīs me and Iīm from Lee Kam Wing Linage.

To all: I think Iīm at the same than MantisCool. Normally I teach 5-7 forms (including 2 weapons) per year. That fits of course only to the student who is willing to train and to learn. Most students just want to have a great time and some fun.
Sometimes (very rare) a student is very talented and trains more than everyone else. He probably is able to learn up to 8-10 forms.

Sure, it all depends on a lot of different things. But it is interesting how you see this matter of teaching ...

Impatiently waiting on more answers! :)

ahh Wolfen: I asked because a student said: oh my god. Iīm filled up with forms, I donīt want to learn another one in the next year! ;)
Sheīs training now for over 4 years and knows now 22-25 forms... maybe enough for a livetime.
Basic level is about 7 forms. 5 open hand Forms and two Weapons (Gwan and Daan Dou), maybe a partnerset.
Intermediate are 10 additional forms, 4 Weapons. Maybe 2 additional partnersets.
Advanced ... well plenty of forms more.

EarthDragon
10-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Our system is structured a little differently. It is set up like building blocks or "steps"

When student first comes in he is shown 10 body coordinations. This simply teaches him correct posture, hand- eye coordination and balance. Essentially to begin to move like a martial artist.

The next level he is shown individual static postures,
ie 8 different stances, 8 fists, 8 palms, 8 kicks etc etc..

Then in the next level he is taught to put these static postures into movement, thus stringing them together.

We have a total of 5 forms
1 beginner (Chi sao)
2 intermediate, (Xiao fanche and Da fan che)
2 advanced (Lipi and Lanjie)

Once they become fluid with these movements they start over and are taught the fighting applications to the 10 body coordinations, the 8"s and the forms.

I have found this to be very effective.
One one hand they are learning the forms without distraction of what they are for or focusing on incorrect intent.
Then on the other when they start to understand the form they are showed the purpose in fighting therory and praticality.

ursa major
10-29-2004, 01:46 PM
I do not set a time limit on learning but on average can say I teach beginners 1-3 forms in the first year.

After that about 2-3 forms per year with every 5th form a weapon form. I would teach fewer forms for the sake of spending more time on developing technique -- but students are always chomping at the bit to learn more forms. I understand this I was once there myself. Fortunately we have many forms in our line. ;)

I would like to comment on this -- our forms are so rich and appealing that I think that you can end up spending so much time learning new forms and acquiring new knowledge... that you don't take time to 'stop and smell the roses'.

Well, I have to admit that I went through a period of 'forms collecting' and having learned some 40-50 Mantis forms I now have the luxury of studying them at my leisure. So in my opinion it was time well spent.

Currently I have been studying Flying Goose Palm (for the last 10 months) and will probably stick with it till some time next spring. Just as I think I have seen all there is to see in this form lo and behold some new depth reveals itself and I am at it all over again.

For those who are learning 5-10 forms a year I encourage you to be sure and take some time to stop and smell the roses.

Best regards,
UM.

Oso
10-29-2004, 06:53 PM
I've always thought that one nice meaty form a year was a good guide.

line drills, short forms (Pong Lai's first mantis set is just 8 moves, repeated in both directions) don't count for that rule of thumb, imo.

However, in Pong Lai, the goal seems to be maybe 2 a year which I think is a good goal for the serious student.

I agree, it seems, with GBL,again, that there are the students who aren't going to be hardcore and that's ok, let them learn at their own pace. But, there should always be room, time and a place for the folks that want to train as a lifestyle.

FEELERSTRIKE
10-30-2004, 01:48 AM
I have seen students come to our school to learn and are very gifted and able to pick up many forms in a year . These are the exception . I myself have picked up forms in a very short time but it takes many months , even years to develope the form and understand the emphisis behind it and the breakdown of it .
This is where the skill comes from . To have 25 forms under your belt in 5 years is very good but can you break the forms down and pull out the required techniques ?
We have to learn the forms , develope them and then be able to spar using only the techniques from a perticular form . This reinforces that we have understood the form .
We structure the learning process depending on the student , but I suppose on average 2-3 forms a year for beginners and then increase from there depending on ability and commitment from the student . We only ever have small class sizes to make sure that all students are able to be guided as best possible .

SevenStar
10-30-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by wolfen

Because you run a commercial club you might have a problem if the next time that student had a class you only did one move for an entire session. But that is what i mean is classical training.

I think that's something that depends on the individuals in the class and what they are expecting to get out of training. For example, in my thai class, we've been working the teep (push kick) and it's intricacies, variations, drills, etc. for the past three weeks. We will end the class with additional drills and with sparring, so interest stays high. But most of the individuals in the class looking to compete. they know the importance of the teep, and my guess is that that's part of the reason why we are getting no complaints.

I think the complete technical knowledge also needs knowledge of training methods and coaching methods.

definitely.

Another thing it seems to me there is the conflct of the modern and traditional systems. In the one is testing and rank. In the other is the family relationships. In the latter structure someone who joins before you and learned some programme is your elder. You cannot pass a test and outrank them.
How do people deal with this in the modern school?

I personally don't see a problem with ranking, or with a newer student surpassing an older one. Let's say the older student stops coming regularly and the newer student surpasses him in skill and possibly in knowledge. Why should he be ranked under the older guy, who slacked off? Perhaps there should be two rankings - the familial and the skill based?

monkeyfoot
10-30-2004, 09:43 AM
i am also training in lee kam wings lineage.

Ive been training for not that long in both wing chun and mantis - about 3 - 4 months. Ive currently learnt

14 routes
bung bo + apps
gung lik kuen + apps
daw kwan
and im a bit through blacktiger but im only gonna start that after december really.

i am developping my speed quite well too but i still struggle to do bung bo in 15 seconds - more like 23 minimum but i dont think that matters yet.

i think everyone progresses how they want and if you're willing to put in the training then you reap the rewards.

craig

Buddy
10-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Sorry to barge in but...really? 40-50 forms? Why on earth for? I teach baguazhang and we don't really do forms. Beyond collecting or preservation, how could so many forms serve you well?
Buddy

EarthDragon
11-01-2004, 07:26 AM
monkey foot,
how on earth in 90 to 120 days could you possibly learn 4 forms and the fighting applications to 2 of them? I find this highly unlikely and hard to imagine.
I teach the fighting applications after the 2nd year of learning the form and only the applications never together other wise you are learning the movement and appplication together before you have a solid grasp on the solo moves themselves.

Otherwise you will not have the neccessary foundation to learn to fight with the movments correctly. please explain.

ursa major
11-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Buddy
Sorry to barge in but...really? 40-50 forms? Why on earth for? I teach baguazhang and we don't really do forms. Beyond collecting or preservation, how could so many forms serve you well?
Buddy

Well Buddy, that is exactly the point, preservation of the system.

I can only speak for 7 Star. Some lines of 7 Star have 20 or less forms including weapons while others have over 100 forms including weapons.

That is quite a bit of diversity. TangLang has grown from 1 initial form to literally dozens of forms.

Yet the core of 7 Star can be found in 1 or 2 forms in fact I have said before that if I had to prune it down to a handful of forms I could and that I would maintain the same practical, fundamental and basic knowledge of the system. You can after all only study one form at a time.

So why so many forms? We have the base forms which define the system and without them TangLang would be very difficult to describe. These are considered to be the oldest and clearest depiction of TangLang. They number less than a handful according to my study.

The many forms that followed are post-inception contributions from past Masters who graciously shared their unique knowledge of PM by passing it down to us.

Other forms are the result of the grafting of non-TangLang systems into TangLang, again by past Masters. This is one of the ways our system adapts and learns and in my opinion has to figure highly for it's survival and popularity.

So here are some key points for 'so many forms':

1) our forms describe TangLang for us
2) our forms are a history of the system
3) our forms convey messages to modern TangLang practitioners from our TangLang ancestors.
4) our forms allow us to adapt to changing combat conditions

I would like to say more but have to go.

Best Regards,
UM.

FEELERSTRIKE
11-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Monkeyfoot ,
As you are a beginner to the 7 star style you should not be worrying about how fast you can do beng bu . 15 seconds ? You need to slow down and make sure each movement is correct . The speed of the form comes from understanding the form and constant practice and over time . It is the mistake of many people to rush through the forms thinking that the faster the better .
I have been doing that form for half my life on a daily basis and it takes me longer than 15 seconds . There is more to the movements than meets the eye and you will need to learn when you apply the power to the techniques as you perform them or else when you come to apply them in a situation they will not work .

shirkers1
11-01-2004, 10:45 AM
That is why along with basic footwork, hands, and some other stuff I teach the 14 ways first before the student even starts to tackle an empty hand set. The student has to know the 14 ways inside and out, backwards and forwards before I concider it. That way when it comes time to do the empty hand sets most of the ideas and tactics are already engrained in the students movements. He's already seen a lot of the stuff that's in the empty hand sets and is comfortable with the movements. He can pick up the form with greater understanding. Most of the forms are the same tactics in different sequence any way. Not all but a lot of stuff is reapeated. So I don't see having to learn so many forms in a year. That is crazy to me.

You should be playing the empty hand sets at least 10 times a day for each individual set. If you have 40 sets under your belt as a beginner then when do you have time for your other training? I think certain sets fit certain students and can help that student better his technique. To cloud his mind with soooo much information could hinder the student in the long run. Just my two cents. But I've been doing it for years and I can't see having all those forms floating around in my head and playing them all regularly.

Shaolinlueb
11-01-2004, 07:30 PM
i learn about 6 forms in a year, it sounds like a lot, and it is im sure. i dont practice them all. i can do them all. there are a few core ones i practice a lot that supply me with a nice foundation. my first form was the wubu chuan, i did that for 6 months and the first long fist many people have for another 3. i like forms more then fighting, but learning the application behind the forms is fun always.

MantisCool
11-01-2004, 08:35 PM
I agreed with Ursa Major on preservation of the system, contributions from past masters who graciously shared their unique knowledges and ideas, the infusion of other systems as to adapt to changes and survival and thus to keep ahead of the others.

So the many forms are partly due to the above reasons and secondly, many forms doesnt mean that they are repetitive they are infact techniques used in a lot of combinatons. If you practised only a handful then you would missed out many of its possible combinatons. And some of the forms are also quite unique like Ba Zhou and Lan Jie. You cant find its usage in other forms. If you missed out these forms then you have missed out a part of the mantis!

shirkers1
11-01-2004, 08:56 PM
I didn't say never learn the forms, but to learn so many forms in one year is not going to better your mantis. I clearly said that most of the forms go over the same tactics in different sequences. It's still the same tactic. There is way to much to work on to have 20 forms in one year to play. I don't see you being able to do it correctly. Maybe that's why I see so many people out there doing forms that look like absolute nonsense. I'm stirring the pot here with that comment, but the forms aren't just hand and body gestures. They are tactics and if you don't understand the body mechanics so on and so on you are just going through the motions. I don't care how gifted you are you are not going to be able to properly learn that many forms in that short of a time and be able to play them correctly.

Now I hear the argument that the forms teach you this. Well what if you have a foundation before you learn an empty hand set? When you get to the form you have basic knowledge of mantis and you can apply that to your form. Fighting application and proper motion for power etc. If you learn the motions first then learn how to properly apply the tactics later you have to learn it twice. I don't see this being very healthy.

"14 routes
bung bo + apps
gung lik kuen + apps
daw kwan
and im a bit through blacktiger but im only gonna start that after december really."

This is just rediculous. 4 months and you have all of this? Who is your teacher? Why would so much info be crammed into such a short period of time? The whole 15 seconds thing is out of this world as well. You have to be talking about the first line or something.

MantisCool
11-01-2004, 10:01 PM
I never said that we could learn 20 forms in one year. Who is going to teach us so many forms? In 5 years it would be 100 forms! Most of the sifus only have about 40 - 70 forms. So, in 2 to 3 years we would have learnt all the curriculum if thats the case!

What are we going to teach if we have only a few forms under our belts? Most of the students would run away. We would have to close shop if thats our living because the students would go for those with more forms and ofcourse those who are reputable.

If a sifu is to teach his students motion and application together then the class would be unable to graduate. All sorts of students will come to learn and each has different degree of comprehenson. If the sifu is going to correct all the students at the same time then the form would be stuck there until all the students fully understood it.

Normally, a sifu would teach a class of students the motion and the students wll have to discuss among themselves the application. They will ask the sifu the correct applicaton when in doubts. Its no point for the sifu to tell and make all of them understand because some students would be too dumb to understand or lazy to learn.

Most of the students would progress as usual. Those who are lazy would be left behind. It is like when you are in college, It doesnt mean that all will graduate. Some wlll and with flying colours and some failed.

German Bai Lung
11-01-2004, 11:55 PM
I agree with Mantis Cool. Itīs not the job of a teacher to make ALL students understand everything. thats impossible.
You give your students a hand, you make clear: here I am, if you want to know something about Mantis, you can ask me. If you donīt want ... okay itīs up to you.
Good point Mantis Cool!

Shirker1: so, you want everyone to read your posts very carefully and with attention, please do this with the posts of others also!
You canīt read of any teaching 20 forms in a year! So why you did make that point?
People said they will teach at least 7-8 forms! Thats a great difference. And they teach this in the beginning years. Later most will slow down, cause now a lot of different work also should be done. Like apps, fighting, weapons and so on.

Well, monkeyfoot is not a representative. Sounds more like a troll.

And for the many forms: well said ursa! Thats exactly the point. Some have to preserve the style but not everyone. Most of the students will never learn only the half of the style. But for those who wants to know all theyīre is a long way do go and to add the many forms.

In our linage itīs about over 80 forms including a lot of partnersets. And itīs obvious that noone will do them everyday, not only for one time ...

shirkers1
11-02-2004, 07:10 AM
GBL sorry I miss read my mistake it was twenty something in 4 years. Still think it's a lot.

Frogman
11-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Interesting topic, the number of forms that a student can learn depends on many factors.
Determination on the part of the student and how often they make it to class, goes a long way. This determines how much the Sifu will and can teach. Of course, just because someone does not make it to class as often does not mean they don’t practices as much or as hard. It does mean they have less exposure to their Sifu and will take longer to learn or are shown less new material. I am at about two to three forms a year I’m in my fifth year and have 16 complete forms plus the basics. I feel this is a good pace for me, even if, at this rate it will take me 20 years to finish our curriculum. As I am advancing I notice most of the new material is more complicated and the forms are longer. This should slow the pace a bit as well. Of the 16 forms plus basic exercises in five years, I UNDERSTAND eight chain punch, and cumnasow. Maybe a spin off question should be what ratio of forms to understanding should your student have after a given time. I have seen some students that learn much faster but not very many of them last…

RibHit
fm

yu shan
11-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Ha d a m n! Your flyin` my man. Never put a stop watch to it yet though. BTW, does your BB only have one road? :D

ursa major
11-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by monkeyfoot
.... I am developping my speed quite well too but i still struggle to do bung bo in 15 seconds - more like 23 minimum but i dont think that matters yet.

i think everyone progresses how they want and if you're willing to put in the training then you reap the rewards.

craig

Hello monkeyfoot,

First, I congratulate you on your diligence, hard work and study. It is obvious you take your Mantis training seriously and are ambitious to learn more. IMO this is a good thing.

I would like to suggest you reconsider the speed at which you perform Mantis forms.

Here is why -- each of our forms contains numerous techniques and methods that require you to move in certain ways with an associated cadence. Each form is not intended to be played out at a constant or ever accelerating speed nor is it's execution to be measured according to a persistant beat set to the second hand on a stop watch.

For example, in TangLang we mix soft and hard with suppleness and explosion. We deliberately accelerate, decelerate and even pause. This is part of the guile of the Mantis system and a significant aspect of our martial strategy.

If you set a time limit for the playing of Bung Bo (or any other of our forms) then you are engaging in a serial race to completion of the roads that, for the sake of expedience, encourages the oversight of specific meaningful messages buried in the irregular steps and techniques of the form.

If your Sifu's instructions are to play Bung Bo in 15 seconds then I encourage you to accomplish this goal for the reasons your Sifu has laid out for you.

However, I also encourage you to slow down your Bung Bo and work over the steps slowly. Try to understand what each segment of the form is trying to tell you. Strive to unravel the methods and techniques of our forms. Work at practicing the steps by using them against a fellow student and you will come to understand the speed and balance required for the execution.

Best regards,
UM.

mantisben
11-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by monkeyfoot
i am developping my speed quite well too but i still struggle to do bung bo in 15 seconds - more like 23 minimum but i dont think that matters yet.

I have a very limited knowledge of Praying Mantis. The one thing I know of that PM practicioners are know for is Speed. Blinding speed. Brendan Lai wrote in an Inside Kung-Fu magazine "Techniques can be matched against other techniques, but nothing can match speed.".

If you can do your Bung-Bo in 15 seconds, great! I may time myself, just because it sounds like a good idea to me. I used to do my Bung-Bo (and other forms) as fast as I could also. I just made a conscious effort to make sure I put all of my strength into my strikes (punches and/or kicks), my hands should not be getting ahead of my steps, and my steps should not be getting ahead of my hands. Hands and feet should be coordinated. Before I started my form, I'd audibly say "The Speed of the Hands, the Speed of the Steps, and the eyes follow the Hands.". For emphasis, sometimes I'd emphasize "Speed of the Hands". Other times, "Speed of the Steps". Gosh, I forgot how much FUN I used to have practicing my forms!

Anyway, person who can punch and kick and advance and retreat precisely, using all of the strength, speed, and effort they can muster, in Praying Mantis, in my experience, will have developed an important attribute for fighting. That is Speed. Moving quickly can only be developed by, well, moving quickly. I can't think of any other way to develop speed.

Of course, as a fighter, you'll also have to develop timing, Strength, balance, ruthlessness, and a bunch of other things, but "Speed of the Hands" and the "Speed of the Steps" for a Praying Mantis fighter (in my opinion) is in the top 2 list of attributes to have, in a list of 3.

Understanding the Praying Mantis techniques, however, can take a while for the mind to grasp. A person could learn a Praying Mantis form, do it fast, strong, etc., and not quite understand how to apply the techniques it contains against a "live" opponent. There are even those who KNOW the applications to different techniques, but can't apply them! Knowing HOW a technique is supposed to be applied is different from actually being ABLE to apply a technique. Knowing HOW to apply Praying Mantis techiques can turn you into an instructor/teacher. But actually being able to APPLY the Praying Mantis techniques will turn you into a Fighter, if that is your thing...

Others on this forum may disagree, and I welcome the criticism and correction!

Shaolinlueb
11-08-2004, 09:11 AM
i havent read a lot of the posts here cause i post at work, but has anyone mentioned foundation?

I'm sure msot styles set students up for this. the first forms in a system provide you with a good foundation in it so you can learn the forms easier as time goes on. so even though the forms may be more advanced, you still know the basic techniques, and if you know how they work, more forms can be learned.

-N-
11-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by mantisben

[...]
Brendan Lai wrote in an Inside Kung-Fu magazine "Techniques can be matched against other techniques, but nothing can match speed."
[...]
I used to do my Bung-Bo (and other forms) as fast as I could also.
[...]
Hands and feet should be coordinated. Before I started my form, I'd audibly say "The Speed of the Hands, the Speed of the Steps, and the eyes follow the Hands."
[...]
Moving quickly can only be developed by, well, moving quickly. I can't think of any other way to develop speed.
[...]Sifu Lai's comment meant more than just doing motions as fast as possible. Most people had a hard time due to extraneous motions and incorrect relative timing between motions. They would try very hard to strike faster by doing incorrect motions as fast as possible.

I found the best way to help people move quickly is by having them relax and move slowly so they can recognize the correct structure and timing. Then they can gradually speed up the motions without struggling.

Hand and foot coordination can be very involved. It helps to go through a gradual process...

- 1 strike, 1 step - strike lands with the step.
- 2 strikes, 2 steps - strikes land with steps.
- 1 strike, 1 step - strike lands before the step.
- 2 strikes, 1 step - last strike lands with the step.
- 2 strikes, 1 step - last strike lands before the step.
- 3 strikes, 1 step - last strike lands before the step.
- 3 strikes, 1 step, 1 strike, 1 step - instantaneous transition between steps.

Then add in slides, jumps, din bo, and other types of footwork.

Some other things that can help...

- identify where separate motions can overlap.
- eliminate extraneous motions.
- plyometrics.
- stealing the opponent's attack.
- intent and daring to fully commit.

N.

EarthDragon
11-08-2004, 11:23 AM
-N- to elborate if I may on your first comment about speed............ When you are trying to sped up for instance a strike you involuntarily tense the slow twitch red muscle fibers which then actually slow down the speed of the tecnique. It easy to tense to try to go faster this is a natural reaction. When trying to speed up notice you will clentch your teeth. It is high level training to stay completly relaxed during combat. Even with light contact sparring it is hard to measure true relaxation.

-N-
11-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by EarthDragon
[...]It easy to tense to try to go faster this is a natural reaction.[...] Very true. Sometimes I tell people, "No need to fight yourself when you're trying to fight your opponent!" ;)

N.

Hua Lin Laoshi
11-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Hmm, I'm just curious about the comments indicating they teach students at whatever pace the student can learn a form. I can't say that I'm in agreement with that.

I've seen people that can memorize sequences quickly and commit them to memory. Does that mean the time element should be reduced? Some things only come with time so why deprive them of that experience? I could learn forms at least twice as fast as I was taught but does that mean I should?

I don't want to hold back a gifted student but there are other lessons to learn along the way.

I'm left wondering how many dictate the pace for their students and how many start them on a new form when they say "ok, I'm done, what's next".

Is it the journey or the destination?

I believe if you focus on the destination you have a good chance of reaching it but if you focus on the journey you have a good chance of exceeding it.

-N-
11-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
[...]"ok, I'm done, what's next"[...] Some traditional teachers would answer that student, "That's it, there's nothing else I can teach you. You can go now." ;)

N.

mantisben
11-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by -N-
Sifu Lai's comment meant more than just doing motions as fast as possible. Most people had a hard time due to extraneous motions and incorrect relative timing between motions. They would try very hard to strike faster by doing incorrect motions as fast as possible.

I found the best way to help people move quickly is by having them relax and move slowly so they can recognize the correct structure and timing. Then they can gradually speed up the motions without struggling.
N.

I'm sure that Sifu Lai's meant more than just doing motions as fast as possible. I also understand that extraneous motions can inhibit execution speed of a technique in a form. I also understand that extraneous motions - as far as my own limited understanding of the term - need to be included sometimes because it makes it easier for a new student to learn the movement. At least, it made it easier for me when I was first learning how to move. However, I believe once a PM student has memorized the sequence of movements thoroughly, extraneous movements should be identified and removed (by the Sifu), and the student should practice the movement full power and full speed. Initially, it may feel like trying to throw punches while standing in a canoe (to quote Sifu Paul Eng), and just as "attractive". But with practice, balance through movement and power through body mechanics is developed.

For example, let's say a Sifu teaches a student the first 4 movements in Bung-Bo (up to the Lunge Punch). Once the student has the stances, steps, and hand-work memorized, I think they should start doing the techniques with speed and power. They shouldn't have to wait until they've learned the whole form before they start incorporating speed and power into their movement. In this way, by the time they learn the whole form, they're already used to moving full speed, and full power. Of course, I don't mean there shouldn't be any pauses in movement and such, because there are "natural" moments of "stillness" within most Praying Mantis forms (at least the ones I know).

I'm not a teacher, so I can only speak from personal experience. Maybe if I had teaching experience, I might see this issue differently. I'm totally open to the possibility.

I HAVE taught my Nephew some Praying Mantis forms, but that doesn't make me a teacher. He is more of a Wing-Chun head now. Still, when I do see him, he enjoys going to the park with me, doing PM forms, analyzing techniques, and sparring. He likes sparring, alot...

Tainan Mantis
11-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Hua Lin,
I like your comment on teaching a quick learner.

isol8d
11-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by German Bai Lung

To make the whole thing comparable: letīs say a student who trains 2-3 times a week with no longer absent times than 1 week in a quarter.

Students also feel free to answer! Your perspectives might be much more worth than from a teacher! :D

Well, I fit the bill of the student described above.

I've finished learning 1 hand form and have learned 1 new hand form so far in 2004.

To be fair, I've also taken on 3 new weapons this year, two from seminars, and I've tried to focus more on sparring than forms.

I make it to at least 2 classes a week, sometimes 3.

So the math works out like this, 11 months, 4 forms. about 1 form every 3 months.

If I were to compete in a tournament, I would expect to clean a form rather than learn one in a 3 month period.

-N-
11-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by mantisben
However, I believe once a PM student has memorized the sequence of movements thoroughly, extraneous movements should be identified and removed (by the Sifu), and the student should practice the movement full power and full speed. Same thoughts here.

N.