PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Self-defense books, videos, etc...

Samurai Jack
10-28-2004, 06:19 PM
I was trying to figure out how we might spruce up the SD forum a little as it seems hardly anyone posts here anymore. So here goes my first attempt.

Anyone have any favorite authors, teachers, videos that are specifically directed toward self-defense or applying a TMA to modern street fighting?

Dark Knight
10-31-2004, 11:39 AM
Fnctional JKD from raight Blast Gym.

My fav. tapes in CMA is from Green Dragon Studios. I just picked up a bunchfrom e-bay.

Samurai Jack
10-31-2004, 01:22 PM
What specific Green Dragon videos might you recommend?

Dark Knight
11-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Get Stone Warrior. Strength training is very important.

After that I say look at their advance forms if you are involved in a style already.

I like the 8 Drunken Immortals, the 5 animal set, .... What I like about his approach is that you should have a good cross section of Kung Fu training from a couple styles.

I like his concept that in order to fight you must have the strength to do it, good technique and the right attitude. He believes you should be able to hit someone with enough power to make it work. They teach a couple internal and external strenghtening programs. I do reccomend the strengthening programs no matter what style you do.

As far as actually learning something for fighting, I reccomend you go to straight balst gyms web page ( www.straightblastgym.com ) and buy the funtional JKD tapes. I dont know if they should be called JKD, but how to fight. Very good, great concepts.

Also go to Rodney Kings page http://www.streetbrawl.co.za/content/ and buy his street boxing videos. between SBG and Rodneys video's you will have a great base for reality fighting for the street.

iblis73
11-17-2004, 08:44 PM
I've found that Gavin De Beckers THE GIFT OF FEAR and sanford strongs STRONG ON DEFENSE to be indespensible. The first focuses on psychology and fear instinct and the second on what I'd call tactical ideas to get out of a jam. The section on home invasions is worth it alone.

Matt Thorntons Functional JKD series one and two are tops for general techniques and drills.

Tony Blauers videos are excellent for tactics, drills and training strategies. Blauers notebook on training is top notch as well.

Kelly Mccanns videos are superb-learned a lot of little nuggets from that guy. His real world military/bodyguard work speaks for itself.

The straightblast gym folks have some great reading. So does Dave Thomas http://austinjiujitsu.com/budo/ has some really good articles on training, students and selecting a school.

Samurai Jack
11-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Gosh, that functional JKD sems popular. I've checked "The Gift of Fear" on amazon (or was it alibris?) and I'll probably buy it soon. I like Marc MacYoung's "Taking it to the Street" for the TMA. His fieldstripping concept of breaking down your art and examining it's various tools from a street perspective could've filled a larger section than a single chapter.

iblis73
11-18-2004, 06:38 PM
I have to admit it the series is great.....I didnt get much out of his grappling tape becuase I have yet to take up grappling but his clinch tape is tops! His standup tape is **** good if quite basic.

Rodney kings dvds are amazing as well, purely boxing/kickboxing but man can he use it!

I've always loved Frank Cuccis SEAL TEAM HTH COMBAT from panther, mostly for nostalgic reasons. At the time they came out it was nice to see someone fit, fast, powerfull and with great technique . I've heard he is an amazing instructor.

I've always wanted to check out Erik Paulson and Paul vunak, but ****-money ya know.

Where I used to go to college had over 400 MA videos in the library! I was quite surprised by the Frank Cucci tapes, the old panther tony blauer tapes and amazingly the hsing i tapes by james mcneil. Mcneil really goes over not just technique but function.

Samurai Jack
11-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Yeah those McNeil tapes are really good, though I'm biased since I used to train with him. He's very into using his martial art rather than just looking pretty in the park. One of the good combat Hsing-i guys, for sure.