PDA

View Full Version : What's your motivation for training?

Samurai Jack
10-28-2004, 06:29 PM
I know it's a pretty generic question, but I am sort of curious as to what the majority opinions are on this board. I think most people on the self-defense forum are obviously interested in applying thier MA, so I'm assuming that's a major motivator. What I really mean is, how much thought did/do you put in to selecting the art/s that you currently train in, and did you give up another style or system in the quest for something efficient for self-defense? Is this question really even relevent (i.e. does it matter what art you study)?

SanSoo Student
10-28-2004, 11:35 PM
A Big part is availability, and second is comfort. I'm more bias towards Muay Thai, because I feel like its a part of my ethnic background. I've just grew up around it and experimented with Kung Fu and some Karate in the last couple of years, but I feel most proficient with Muay Thai. Summers at Thailand do wonders for you when your a little kid :D

Samurai Jack
10-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Nice. Do you still train Kung fu San Soo? I got up to the brown belt level in that art, then had to move. I'd still be training San Soo to this day if I'd had the opportunity, so what you're saying about availability certainly rings true for me.

One of the things I really liked about San Soo was the similarity to the military combatives I've been exposed to. I figured that training like that could really be useful in a crisis.

Of course San Soo has holes like everything else, but it was nice to see people fighting like they're trained to after a couple of years of point sparring with American Karateka.

SanSoo Student
10-30-2004, 01:05 AM
In SanSoo, I trained up to a black belt, after I started going to the masters' class I realized that people there had overinflated egos. It was a shame to see such a good thing turn sour, the class fell apart without Jimmy. My master always said that SanSoo will strengthen all aspects of your style as a person. He also said that any true martial artist knows at some point that the art is only there to show you the beginning. Through much training, self-discovery, and fighting can you open the door: the door to your own style of fighting.

After leaving with that bit of advice, I went back into Muay Thai, spent about a 2 year period in Thailand learning Muay Thai, some Krabi-Kabrong (Sword-Stick Fighting). My basis of turning down such an art that "encompassed" all styles was to get more contact and become a better fighter. My goal is to truly become proficent in the art of stand-up fighting: using striking and locking (even though my ground game blows). I am currently searching for a good Wing Chun school, hopefully to get another variation of striking/locking.