PDA

View Full Version : mainland wingchun?

wingchunalex
08-22-2001, 11:09 PM
has anyone hear of any wing chun styles that are from mainland china ,not hongkong, and are not yuen kay san or pan nam, or any other styles in the book complete wing chun. my stlyle of wing chun is from the mainland. it is very similar to yip man style, but with a few extra techniques. like i see our cho ma (sitting horse) and i think it is the side turing stance of yip man style that look very similar. my style also look simiar to yuen kay san but more like yip man. the sil lim tau of yip man and my wing chun are exactly the same. we have chi sau. when my sifu learned WC it had some eagle claw techniques mixed in sence it was tought along side eagle claw in china. my sifu, ron bey, learned from fred (an ming) wu in columbus and dayton ohio. sifu wu died last year. that is all i know about my form of wing chun on this matter. so if anyone has any knowelege it would be appriciated.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

reneritchie
08-28-2001, 08:37 PM
Hi Alex,

There are many branches in Mainland China, however most are related to the ones we touched on in Complete Wing Chun. Following the migration of many teachers to Hong Kong (Yip Man being the primary example) and a few others to Guangzhou (Sum Nung), more branches sprung up combining aspects of the previous ones, so it can get complicated. As a rule of thumb, however, if your system has a Siu Nim Tao almost exactly like Yip Man, it probably comes, one way or another, from Yip Man, since he made some specific changes to his Siu Nim Tao and they're rather easy to spot. If its only slightly different, it could come from Yip Man's Foshan students (Lun Gai or Kwok Fu) who don't have the Hong Kong changes in the form, or from one of Yip's elder classmate's descendants (Ng Jung-So and Chan Yiu-Min lineages are both still found in Foshan).

If you can point out specific differences with the Yip Man set, it may be possible to narrow it down further.

Hope this helps,

Rene Ritchie

wingchunalex
08-29-2001, 01:02 PM
i know my wing chun didn't come from yip man, because the only thing i know about my lineage in that it comes from the mainland. i know our knife set is different than yip man lin. we also have a variation on kwan sau were the lower bong is simlar to a gum sau (pinning hand). we some times use this as our fighting stance instead of the usual both hands out position.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu