PDA

View Full Version : Might as well jump boat

yellowpikachu
10-30-2004, 09:17 AM
One might as well jump boat if after one learning SLT/SNT for years but doesnt have a good foundation on power generation as some one who has just learn the ---- Straight jab, Hook, and upper cut well.

What do you think? Care to share?

old jong
10-30-2004, 12:20 PM
I learned and practiced these punches when I was twelve from an ex pro-boxer;one of my father's friends.(Later my father came to regret that initiative when he was forced to pay for the damages I caused in schoolyard fights!...Dentists are not cheap and broken noses come with a price!) ;)

Sine that times I always been able to throw a nice punch.Does that mean I have been losing my times in Wing Chun for so long?...:eek:

BTW,many should jump the boat.

yellowpikachu
10-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by old jong
I learned and practiced these punches when I was twelve from an ex pro-boxer;one of my father's friends.(Later my father came to regret that initiative when he was forced to pay for the damages I caused in schoolyard fights!...Dentists are not cheap and broken noses come with a price!) ;)

Sine that times I always been able to throw a nice punch.Does that mean I have been losing my times in Wing Chun for so long?...:eek:

BTW,many should jump the boat.

Nah, 401k always transfer nicely from other company to SLT. :D

As for jump the boat, :D
why do 3 sets if 3 punches can cover a better story?

old jong
10-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by yellowpikachu

As for jump the boat, :D
why do 3 sets if 3 punches can cover a better story?

Why go to the trouble of reading a good book if you can read the newspaper comics?...;)

yellowpikachu
10-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by old jong
Why go to the trouble of reading a good book if you can read the newspaper comics?...;)

Nah,

it is more like it is better remember 3 simple things, rather then after had read a thick book but have no idea what is it talking about. :D

old jong
10-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Three simple things are O.K.!...Nothing wrong with this. But,why shouldn't we have a choice about what we like or "prefer" to do in our lifes?...It is not about being "snobs" or even "fondamentalists"!...:rolleye: We all know that boxing works,so what?...My personal tastes brought me to Wing Chun,and this,throught many experiences.I have my own personal reasons to do it the way I do.The same as others have their own reasons for their own preferences.The same with boats or books!...;)

old jong
10-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by yellowpikachu
Nah,

it is more like it is better remember 3 simple things, rather then after had read a thick book but have no idea what is it talking about. :D

Even worse is : Reading a book without having any idea on what it is talking about and then,writing your own book based on it!...:eek: ;) How would you call this Hendrik...Litteral adaptative transformation?... :D

BTW,There is nothing wrong in learning three simple things if it fits the needs!...;)

PaulH
10-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Just fresh from the morning class, I think SLT structure (upright and square body) depends a lot on good usage of joint power at good position and angle. The challenge is your body and hands/feet must work together sensitively and appropriately to the dictating situation. They must be alive, ya know! =)

amjg2000
11-04-2004, 12:56 PM
One might as well jump boat if after one learning SLT/SNT for years but doesnt have a good foundation on power generation as some one who has just learn the ---- Straight jab, Hook, and upper cut well.

One argument is that one should have a pretty good sense of power generation (stemming from proper body mechanics, structure, position, relaxation, etc), after a few year of SLT practice. So if you ain't got it now, by golly you won't get it later. But then again, its the up to the practitioner. Maybe this person is a slow learner, perhaps they can't focus as much time/dedication into it due to external circumstances (work, family).

But you compare this to someone who has "just learned" the jab, hook, and upper cut... HOw long has this person trained to learn these tools of this particular art? There are body mechanics, position, relaxation, concepts in weilding these weapons as well, don't you think? All this takes time as well.

I don't think the art matters as much as the person. Sorry if i misunderstood ur post.

I