PDA

View Full Version : I started WT two months ago....

benci
08-23-2001, 11:57 AM
....and I must say I am totally amazed by the principles of this style.

A bit of personal hystory before my questions:

I come from a five years experience in ju-jitsu and kickboxing: in my school the roots are ju - jitsu but most of the people do kickboxing - shoot boxe competition.

For this reason we double trained in ju jitsu and kick boxing / shoot boxe: this gives people the opportunity to actually see what works ni a fight and what does not.

(by shoot boxe I mean the match where the rules are those of Thay Boxe plus the possibility of every kind of throws, locks, groundfighting and strangle hold, you either win by KO, with scores, or if the adversary gives up due to lock or strangleholds).

I consider myself not a good fighter but at least an experienced one: what I am learning in WT is however something completely different and excellent for self defense purpose.

Now on with my questions:
(1) are there in this forum people who share the same experience, I mean coming from different background and being totally conquered by WT/WC; if that is so, which are the main things you appreciate in your styles?

(2) Which are the gaps you think you can fill up with WC/WT compared to your old styles

(3) I know only Leung Ting's WT: which are the main technical differences (if there are any) with WC?

Thanks

jesper
08-23-2001, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the WT world

I will try to answer a few of your questions.
My main reason for doing WT is the simplicity and directness of things. everything you learn is relevant in a fight, and everything is build on scientific aproach. Mind you many other styles share that.
Second, the difference between the various WT/WC/VT lineage comes from the fact that WT is more a collection of principles than a collection of mechanical responses. Therefore when you reach a certain skill level you start turning your WT into a personal thing.
Mainly I think you can divide WT/WC into two very broad categories. Hard Vs Soft.
The hard style (WSL, Victor kan etc) uses more energy in Chi sao and are more confrontationally.
The soft style (WT, Ip chun etc) are more evasive and bending (for lack of better word) in their Chi Sao. There are other differences in application, but they are more subtle to really get into here.
But dont belive anybody telling you which lineage is the best. Only you can decide that depending on your instructors ability etc.