PDA

View Full Version : Working out and Swimming

Spark
11-01-2004, 08:15 AM
So I'm going to start swimming.

The thing is the only days I can do it is inbetween days that I'm lifting weights.

My question is that is this a bad idea in terms of letting my muscles recover from the day before? I always thought that running, swimming ... cardio type workouts aren't the same, so it would be ok, but I thought I'd check here and see what people think.

thanks!

Ford Prefect
11-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Swimming is very taxing on the body. You will definately feel the effects of it carry over to your workout sessions and vice-versa. That being said, it is very do-able. Just start slowly and build up intensity gradually. If you feel beat, take the day off and rest. Eventually you should be able to do both with no problems.

Vash
11-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Yay! FPs Back!

Toby
11-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Are you gunna be doing flat-out swimming, or just relaxed swimming? I do rowing ergo twice a week HIIT style and there is definite impact on lifting. But I also do MA and that impacts lifting. *Shrug* Priorities. FWIW, my HIIT used to be sprints on the oval - that had a more intense impact than rowing. I think the rowing probably is more "balanced" across the whole body, whereas the sprints were more intense on the legs.

Spark
11-02-2004, 07:12 AM
hmm i don't know the difference between flat out swimming and relaxed swimming.

I have a friend who swims 5 days a week and he is giong to send me some of his swimming schedules.

Off the top of my head I was just going to to laps - front crawl, breaststroke, backstroke for 20-30 mins.

Toby
11-02-2004, 06:37 PM
What I meant was are you gunna be swimming like for recuperation, or like you want to break records? Like the difference between walking and sprinting. If I were to swim, I'd like to do it as a recuperation thing between other workouts. I wouldn't do it for my primary high-intensity workout, but that's my preference. Is this going to be your primary high-intensity endurance-building workout was my question? If so, I imagine it'll be severely taxing, if not, then it should be a good method of gently working out your muscles between other workouts.

Spark
11-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Toby
What I meant was are you gunna be swimming like for recuperation, or like you want to break records? Like the difference between walking and sprinting.

I was thinking more along the lines of jogging hahaha
Ok i'm looking for some endurance, cardio and physical benefits from swimming. Not to enter a triathalon, but not to doggy paddle around and enjoy the warm water.

Toby
11-03-2004, 06:20 PM
OK, then I would imagine it wouldn't be so bad. As I said, I'm not a swimmer but the footwork analogy sort of holds - I could jog a fair distance and not have it affect my lifts the next day. I used to do sprints, say < 1mi total and it would affect me the next day much more than 10mi jogging would. Same with bike riding - I ride every day for 30min total at relaxed commuting pace - that gets me tired, but not that it affects me as much as the twice-a-week HIIT rowing sprints.