PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar in the Toronto area?

Lohankuen1
11-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Hi guys,

i was wondering if anyone on this board trains or knows of any hung gar schools in the Greater Toronto area ?

I looked in the yellow pages but no luck.

lkfmdc
11-01-2004, 11:51 AM
The Hung Ga teacher I used to know there is not there any more. You might try the Hong Luck club which teachs Do PI, a southern system similar to white crane and CLF....

infinet
11-02-2004, 04:45 AM
Golden Tiger School of Kung Fu (http://www.goldentigerschoolofkungfu.com/index1.html)

Check these guys out, they have a pretty intense training program (1.5 hr calistenics, half hour break and 2hrs of Kung Fu) and the instruction is top notch.

Cheers

David Jamieson
11-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Jing Mo club at 84 augusta in chinatown/kensington market.
directed by sifu James Lore.

It's the KMT building.

They teach Hung Gar there.

Paul Chan does Do Pi and Southern dragon at Hong Luk Kung Fu on the corner of Dundas and Spadina (more or less) also in old Chinatown.

You're right though, you aren't gonna find much in the yellow pages when it comes to Hung Gar in Toronto.

However, it is here, just not advertised so much.

Markham has a few places to learn as well.

Lohankuen1
11-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I guess i had my hopes up that there would be some hung ga closer to me. i'm in brampton. So mississauga or brampton would be ideal. I guess you can't expect the world to come to you.

I just read somewhere that a student of Jing Mo opened up a school in Milton. I think his name is Glen Doyle. I might get in contact with him.

Hey Kung Lek, do you know if these Hung Ga schools teach the four pillars, ie: Gung Gee, Fuhok, Tid sin.......

I ask because i have heard of schools saying they teach hung ga but none of the 4 pillars are in the curriculum.

David Jamieson
11-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Brampton!

That's not exactly Toronto. :p lol

I am not sure what you have out that way.

re: four pillars : ask them if you decide to make the commute. :)

Lohankuen1
11-03-2004, 05:59 AM
I know, Brampton isn't really the hotbed for martial arts, that's why i asked about the GTA. At least i know now that some hung gar does exist in the area.

thanks for the replies!!

David Jamieson
11-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Just finished talking with a buddy of mine and it seems that Brampton is TKD heaven in many respects but there is some decent Karate there.

I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to shovel a lot of snow to get to the Hung Gar cabin in that area.

cheers

Lohankuen1
11-15-2004, 05:55 AM
I found out Glen Doyle opened a school in Milton, which is not very far from me.

I'm planning on going to visit his school this week sometime, just trying to find the time.

later.

David Jamieson
11-15-2004, 08:37 AM
hey excellent!

I understand Doyle is quite competent and has a very good reputation not only in martial arts, but with candian sports as well.

the dude is a champ who trains champs. Ok so that particular champ is a famous world class olympic gold winning figure skater, but it's interesting how they bridged the arts to each other so elvis could put the fu into his skating. :D

doyle is top student and sifu under sifu Lore of Jing Mo in T.O fwiw

Lohankuen1
11-15-2004, 08:46 AM
that's the impression i got from the little reading that i've done. Hopefully things work out with my schedule and i get the chance to train with him.

Later.