PDA

View Full Version : Re: Soloflex Rockit

mickey
11-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Greetings,

Has anyone tried the Soloflex Rockit? Is it a good replacement for the squat? Please share your insights.

Thank you,

mickey

Ford Prefect
11-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Nothing is a good replacement for squats, but when you have an equipment shortage, some things can help more than others. That being said, for the price of a soloflex rockit, you could buy free weights or kettlebells enough to train the legs much better than the rockit ever will. Why do you ask? If you have access to one, then you might as well use it if you don't have access to free weight equipment. If you are looking to buy one instead of free weights, then I'd have to say that's a bad idea.

Ford Prefect
11-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Actually, looking at the picture on the web, I'd say it's a bad idea either way. This is because you are leaning against something while you are squatting. See, if you lean against something while squatting, you're hamstrings are all but removed from the movement. At and past parallel, in order you keep your back against whatever you're leaning on, your femur must be pushed directly back. Good ol' Newton's Laws of Motion dictate that the femur will push right back... on your knee. Since your hamstring is not contracting, the knee is not held as tightly as it's supposed to be (the hamstring would pull back on your lower leg and tighten the joint) and it shears at the knee. Significant knee damage can result with prolonged use.

This is the same thing that gives Smith Machine's a bad name and why most people call them "knee shredders".

mickey
11-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Thank you, Ford.

I was looking for a safe way to train the squats since I have a lower back injury. The Rockit is not worth the additional injuries you suggest.

By the way......

Welcome Back.

mickey

fa_jing
11-01-2004, 04:27 PM
I think the leg press can be good for training around a back injury. But I might suggest bodyweight squats, horse stance, Yoga and bodywork to get that back up to speed. Patience sir.

IronFist
11-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Whoa, Ford just came in and owned this thread!!! :eek:

Ford, how have you been?

btw, I agree with everything Ford said.

Vash
11-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
I agree with everything Ford said.

I've found that to be the only way for me to be correct.

mickey
11-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for sharing. I may have to go back to the yoga. It has been a while.

mickey

Ford Prefect
11-02-2004, 06:31 AM
Haha. Hey guys. Just dropping in, but I'll be posting more often again.

Fa jing,

The Leg press is actually worse for a back injury than squatting in a lot of cases. Next time you're in the gym look at people using the leg press. I guarantee the vast majority will not be keeping a tight arch in their back which leads to them rounding their back which leads to excessive strain on the lower back. I gotta agree with doing bodyweight stuff, yoga, sprinting, plyometrics, etc.