PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Steve Cottrell Video Series

jbb3141
08-24-2001, 03:36 PM
For a complete beginner in Wing Chun who can't currently attend an academy, which of Sifu Steve's videos would be best to begin with?

chi-kwai
08-24-2001, 03:43 PM
The first one, of course :)

--
chi kwai

jbb3141
08-25-2001, 02:52 PM
Perhaps I should have clarified my question :)

On several different web sites, I've seen his "basics" videos listed but not always in order of tape number which is why I asked.

Thanks.

Martial Joe
08-25-2001, 10:11 PM
You should watch the tapes and get familure with wing chun.I wouldnt try training from the tapes.
You will create bad habbits.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

Shadowboxer
08-26-2001, 09:50 PM
You will want to begin with #12 Street Defense. If you were to join the school, this is what you would be doing for the first 3 months. You would also learn the YCKYM and the "basics" of WC, ie. the four gates and how to defend them, chain punching, stepping, kicking. Hope this helps.

jbb3141
08-27-2001, 07:03 PM
I do plan on joining the school so knowing which tape to start with helps. Thanks Shadowboxer.

Shadowboxer
08-27-2001, 09:34 PM
I talked with my sihing yesterday and saw another tape of Sifu's. Sil Num Tao I is another one you should view as it is the one which covers stepping, stances, kicks, four gates,etc. Street Defense is just that, responses to 12 basic attacks-headlock, bearhugs,chokes, arm grabs,etc.

BaekHoKwan
08-27-2001, 09:59 PM
No matter which system you study with Sifu, I'd start with Street Defense. The subtle nuances of Si Lum Tau will be lost on you if you can't train with him directly. However, the street defense is pretty straight forward. Be sure, and I'm sure his current students will agree with me, not to alter the defenses in any way. Practice them exactly as he teaches them on the tape.

C. Martin
Founder Baek Ho Kwan
Texas Martial Arts Hall of Fame 00'