PDA

View Full Version : What do you fight with?

Water Dragon
11-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Out of everyhting that you do and learn, what is your bread and butter? What do you depend on to save your butt?

For me it would be something like:

Punches: jab, cross, hook, bodyshot
Kicks: Teep, roundhouse, sidekick, straight knee
Throws: Diagonal Cut (O Soto) Inside Shoulder Throw, Iron Broom (kicking sweep), Backward Kicking (Uchi Mata), and the single leg.
Ground: Scissor sweep, push sweep, Triangle choke, armbar (mount and guard) omoplata
Defense: Bob & Weave, Wing blocks (comb the hair), Tui Shou (bridging into clinch)

Just curious to see what others actually use most of the time.

-edit- I love to throw shoulders in the clinch too, it's the main thing I do when I'm swimming for grips. I don't know where that tech would go though.

David Jamieson
11-02-2004, 08:30 AM
a 2x4 with a nail in it

SPJ
11-02-2004, 08:42 AM
We spar with a different strategy.

We yield with 5 steps.

We push and pull.

We trip to fall.

We throw.

We use open palms most of the time.

We walk.

---

:D

Water Dragon
11-02-2004, 08:48 AM
That's fine and all, but what throws are you using? What palms are you using? What are you specifically using from your system?

What I'm getting at, is that basically EVERY good teacher I have come into contact with says that you will only use a very small part of your art personally. I'm just trying to see what that part is for everyone.

MasterKiller
11-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Mainly:

Hands: Willow palm, hook, straight punch, elbow, backfist

Legs: Inside crecent (my roundhouse sucks), side kick, front heel kick

Takedowns: forward sweep, iron broom, hip throw

Ground: RNC, armbar, ankle locks

Defense: elbow blocks, forearm blocks

Judge Pen
11-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Hands: 5 element fists, elbow, open hand chops, palm strikes

Legs: front thrust, side thrust, roundhouse, outside crescent, hook kick

Sweeps: Front sweep, back sweep, leg reap, inside sweep

Ground: armbar, various wrist and joint locks, RNC, Guillotine chokes

Defense: legs block low, arms block high. Lots of crossing/rolling blocks to transition into a bridge, trap and counter-technique.

SevenStar
11-02-2004, 09:39 AM
punches - jab, cross, hook (all level hooks)

kicks - teep, switch step roundhouse, rear leg roundhouse

other strikes - long knee, round knee

throws/takedowns - hiza guruma, harai goshi, kata guruma, tani otoshi

ground - kimura

MoreMisfortune
11-02-2004, 10:00 AM
hmm

i wont bother explaining wich moves exactly
cos im kinda lazied

punch: 2 types
kick: 2 types
knees: 1 type
elbow: 2 types
forearm: 2 types
throwing: basic sweeping
ground: defend, pound
headbutt: 1 type
spit: 1 type

SifuAbel
11-02-2004, 11:57 AM
rooftop, 50cal carbide or 22 LR, polarized scope site or night vision, gas capture silencer, patience.

Indestructible
11-02-2004, 11:59 AM
hard and soft spotless strikes
hang leg
iron palm circles
northern kicking
fun shu, jang shu

MasterKiller
11-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
rooftop, 50cal carbide or 22 LR, polarized scope site or night vision, gas capture silencer, patience. Rooftop? I guess you think that stuff is too deadly for the ring, huh?

Meat Shake
11-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Hmmm...

Punches - Jab, uppercut, hook, cross (elbows/knees)
Kicks - teep, round house, round house with shins, inside cresent, side kick
takedowns - Diagonal cut, upper control leg blocking, shaving, inner leg hooking, leg seizing
ground - armbar, triangle, omoplata, figure 4, smother choke with wrist or neck lock
defense - bob and weave, shins, forearms
entries - switching hands, crossing hands

SifuAbel
11-02-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm, too deadly for my shirt, too deadly for my shirt , too deadly, it huuuuuuuuurts...........

I am a fighter , you know what I mean and I do my little strut on the catwalk, on the cat walk, on the cat walk, yeah! I do my little strut on the catwalk.

Water Dragon
11-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Uh-Oh
looks like Abel's been into the still again.

norther practitioner
11-02-2004, 12:27 PM
shanks... sometimes chains.

oH,

hands:
Overhand right, jab, cross, open hand palm, hook, uppercut
feet:
front heel, low round (maybe as high as the torso) and front sweep.
throws:
whatever I can get my hands on (I like hip throws), but I'm not too great at them.

SifuAbel
11-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm a man on the edge, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Water Dragon
11-02-2004, 12:29 PM
*pushes Abel over the edge*

Royal Dragon
11-02-2004, 12:42 PM
LOL!!!

IronFist
11-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Wing blocks (comb the hair),

Is that where you like comb your hair and take the punch on your forearm or elbow? That sounds like our crazy monkey blocking at Straight Blast Gym, back when I could go there before I moved. It was awesome. It's in Elgin. How far from you is that? It's called Stratight Blast Gym but there's no Wing Chun in it. Check out the website, here (http://www.straightblastgym.com).

SevenStar
11-02-2004, 01:12 PM
It sounds similar to what you described a while back, but for us, it's used to defend a hook punch, mainly. your arm is bent, glove, hand, etc. is by the ear. the glove/hand and forearm will receive the brunt of the hook punch.

you, on the other hand, use it also to defend straight punches, don't you?

Water Dragon
11-02-2004, 01:15 PM
We use it to defend hooks and crosses as well, Sev.

SevenStar
11-02-2004, 01:46 PM
I don't think it's quite the same....

If I remember right, iron is talking about raising the elbows in front of your face, not off to the side as when you're blocking the hook...when you do this, your hands are over the top of your head. I've never seen a thai boxer do it, but I haven't seen them all either, so maybe you guys do do it.

Water Dragon
11-02-2004, 01:49 PM
No, we don't do that. We just touch our glove to our ear.

IronFist
11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Yes, we block jabs and crosses with it, too. The bottom of the forearm is kind of pressed against your eyebrow/temple, and your hand is kind of grabbing the back/top of your head during the block, so your elbow is in front of your face, making it possible to defend against straight punches as well.

It's not really a Thai boxing technique, it's more like crazy monkey boxing or whatever they call it. It's named that cuz the movement kind of looks like a monkey scratching his head. Most Thai boxers I've seen hold their hands up and away from their face. We keep our palms on our forehead and punch from there, and then the block is simply a matter of moving your hand back on your head so your elbow comes up.

David Jamieson
11-02-2004, 03:39 PM
It's not really a Thai boxing technique, it's more like crazy monkey boxing or whatever they call it. It's named that cuz the movement kind of looks like a monkey scratching his head.

hand at the head and elbow pointing centre is also called a "destruction" and is used to deflect or absorb quite a few straight on, crossing or hook punches.

It's found in boxing as well as some styles of kungfu and myriad other martial arts. I don't think one art has proprietary rights to that defense tech.

SifuAbel
11-02-2004, 04:08 PM
"That sounds like our crazy monkey blocking at Straight Blast Gym."

Ahem, thats how styles get started, so now you're doing crazy monkey style?

:rolleyes:

SevenStar
11-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
hand at the head and elbow pointing centre is also called a "destruction" and is used to deflect or absorb quite a few straight on, crossing or hook punches.

It's found in boxing as well as some styles of kungfu and myriad other martial arts. I don't think one art has proprietary rights to that defense tech.

I do destructions all the time, but not in that manner. I will parry a punch into my opposite elbow.

Ray Pina
11-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Strong side lead, heavy lead rights into whatever is coming and stepping into it with a strong structure .... use the elbows to block and jam up follow up strikes. Play from there.

ShaolinTiger00
11-03-2004, 08:06 AM
Crazy Monkey is an excellent base for newbies into striking. It's the first "system" we teach new guys and it helps them from becomming gun shy with better punchers. They can keep up an excellent defense and keep moving forward for hooks and uppercuts and into the clinch for dirty boxing, knees & grappling.

In round 1 of Silva/Jackson II, Rampage was doing an excellent version of it.

for me it's the clinch. strikes are great.. I love hooks and uppercuts and infighting, but I KNOW that I will dominate a fight in a clinch and I'll use clinch knees, dirty boxing, throws, takedowns to get to my objective.

SPJ
11-03-2004, 08:46 AM
The palm form we use in Cheng's Ba Gua is the dragon form (Long Xing Zhang).

Basically, the palm forms a cup. It is also used in Liu He mantis.

In Tai Ji, most people use the willow leaf (Liu Ye Zhang). There are variations depending on the practitioners.

The elbow pointing forward and the hand close to the head and you use your body side facing forward. This is called Liang Yi Ding in Ba Ji.

It is used to get close, neutralization and attack at the same time. Once you are inside of the opponent's both arms (Li Men), you may flip and flop his arms or neck to uproot and throw.

There is a whole Tou Lu based on Liang Yi Ding.

The saying:

Yi Da Ding Zhou Zuo You Fang.

You hit, use the elbow and then flip left or right.

It is a basic frame of Ba Ji Quan.

:)

IronFist
11-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Dude they're not starting their own system per se, they just call it Crazy Monkey to distinguish it from regular boxing.

IronFist
11-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
Crazy Monkey is an excellent base for newbies into striking. It's the first "system" we teach new guys and it helps them from becomming gun shy with better punchers. They can keep up an excellent defense and keep moving forward for hooks and uppercuts and into the clinch for dirty boxing, knees & grappling.

Exactly. You're in DC. Are you guys Straight Blast gym? Where did you pick up the Crazy Monkey?

In round 1 of Silva/Jackson II, Rampage was doing an excellent version of it.

Which event was this? I'd like to see it.

Suntzu
11-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Where did you pick up the Crazy Monkey? they sell videos on this stuff u know.... the secret is out :p

ShaolinTiger00
11-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Iron Fist,

No I'm Team Lloyd Irvin. while I know it as "crazy monkey" the SBG guys really didn't invent anything new here.. Boxers call it a "shell" "Philly shell", a modified "peek a boo guard", Muay thai guys call it "horns of the bull" etc.

What I have learned specifically from SBG (I have lots of rodney K , Singer Bros & Thorton stuff) is how to develop "phaseII" which is to move beyond the shell and into the counter punching game.

again it's an excellent system for a grappler who wants to be safe from a better striker and move into his comfort range. but it's downside is less offense. so we teach newbies to use the system till they get comfotable looking at punches coming at them. then we teach them to use "orthodox" striking on the outside and move into it for the infighting.

The event was Pride 28, which happened this past weekend.

SifuAbel
11-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Dude they're not starting their own system per se, they just call it Crazy Monkey to distinguish it from regular boxing.

yes, go on. :rolleyes:

Suntzu
11-03-2004, 10:16 AM
ST - you got the hardcore training video??.......... how about a quick review....... and was that you they was talking about in the newsletter?..... if so... congrats...... and Ryan is a sub monster... congrats to him too..... once this semester is over i should be able to get back to coming down to get ready for the Ahhhhhhnolds....... if they have san shou this year.........

ShaolinTiger00
11-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Suntzu
ST - you got the hardcore training video??.......... how about a quick review....... and was that you they was talking about in the newsletter?..... if so... congrats...... and Ryan is a sub monster... congrats to him too..... once this semester is over i should be able to get back to coming down to get ready for the Ahhhhhhnolds....... if they have san shou this year.........

I think I've got 'em. seriously I've got so much stuff, I haven't even got to most of it yet.

Yep that was me in the newsletter. Thanks! & Ryan is great. He is my favorite bjj training partner because with our attributes combined, it makes for a very dynamic fight everytime we roll.

Next week I'm going to start to take some time off as my wife will be giving birth any day now and then I'm going to focus my energy on conditioning and standup so that hopefully by this spring I can get a sanshou fight and or an MMA fight before I leave DC and head to OH.

Suntzu
11-03-2004, 11:54 AM
g' luck........ hopefully i can get down there before you leave..... and should we be expecting another san shou team coming out of OH?

FatherDog
11-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
Boxers call it a "shell" "Philly shell", a modified "peek a boo guard",

I'm pretty sure a "Philly shell" refers to the front hand down, back hand by the ear posture typified by James Toney. CM is close to the "peek-a-boo shell" typified by Tyson.

ShaolinTiger00
11-03-2004, 08:58 PM
FD, yeah you're right.

IronFist
11-04-2004, 09:43 AM
I have some of their videos, too. When I was at the school, my teacher was Paul Sharpe. He's on their Hardcore Training DVD and may be on some other videos as well.