PDA

View Full Version : Do I have nerve damage?

IronFist
11-02-2004, 08:43 AM
If I hold my right arm and wrist in certain positions, my hand trembles. The position is like: forearm sticking out parallel to the ground, wrist flexed down a little bit with fingers pointing to the floor. Now as I curl my hand up and toward me, supinating it so that it ends with my palm facing me and my fingers pointing to the left (like you're looking at something in your hand), about 60-80% of the way through the motion my hand will tremble back and forth. After I pass about 80% of the way it stops trembling.

Now the weird part is, if I go the other way, reversing it from the end position above to the beginning position, there's no trembling.

It's kind of annoying because every once in a while i'll be holding a cup of coffee or something and I'll almost spill it because my hand shakes. It's only certain positions, but it generally happens in that relative position of my hand and forearm. It's actually been going on for a few years, but I'd notice it and then forget about it for a while, etc. I finally thought to ask about it now.

The only thing I can think of is maybe I messed up a nerve or something from constant laying my forearms on the edge of my desk while typing for years and years or something. Or maybe it's from some old three star type arm conditioning or something.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ford Prefect
11-02-2004, 09:25 AM
I'll let everybody else handle how you could have damaged your right wrist... ;)

Honestly, I have no idea. I think it could possible be a nervous system thing where you manipulate a joint in an unfamiliar or uncomfortable range of motion, so your CNS/stretch reflex is contracting the muscle to bring it back into more familiar territory. You get the shakes because you are conciously trying to hold that joint angle and your reflex are trying to reign it back, so it's like you are struggling with yourself.

That's just a theory though. I have no idea. My leg will do that when I'm in a seated position with my leg in a certain position and I go up on my toes. It's alive!

Toby
11-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
The only thing I can think of is maybe I messed up a nerve or something from constant laying my forearms on the edge of my desk while typing for years and years or something. Or maybe it's from some old three star type arm conditioning or something.Or maybe it's the result of years of alcohol abuse? :D

IronFist
11-02-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm 23 :)