PDA

View Full Version : How big is yours?

Ben Gash
11-03-2004, 05:06 AM
I recently restarted Hung Gar again, and it's got me wondering. The school is of the Lai Ng Sam lineage, and the movements seem pretty short (as a whole it seems a shortish medium fist system). Now one of my CLF Sifu's also does Hung Gar from the Lam Sai Wing lineage, and his is more of a longish medium fist (is that a word?). However, I've just seen some footage of a kid from Guandong doing Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen with full longarm extention.
So I'm wondering, what kind of extention do you use in your Hung Gar?

Lohankuen1
11-03-2004, 06:03 AM
Hey Ben,

I don't know if you are familiar with the different lineages of hung gar but your branch comes from the Tid Kiu Sam line and Lam sai wing hung gar comes from Wong Fei Hung. This possibly could account for the differences in techniques.

Horse Power
11-03-2004, 06:35 AM
More info on Lai Ng Sam (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=908&highlight=Lai+Ng+Sam) explains the difference.

Horse Power
11-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Hello Lohankuen,

There is no such thing as a "Tid Kiu Sam line". Lai Ng Sam's lineage - what you call "Tid Kiu Sam line" - is an offshoot of Lam Sai Wing's lineage. Nothing more.

Best,
Horse Power

Lohankuen1
11-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Hello Horse power,

I was just passing along the info that i remember reading on a website in holland. I'd have to disagree with you when you say that there is no such thing as a Tid Kiu Sam line. I say this because i would assume that tid kiu sam's kung fu is practised somewhere around the world, it might not be hung ga as we know it today but i would be sure that there is a line from tid kiu sam.

Horse Power
11-03-2004, 06:54 AM
Hello Ben,

How big is yours?

Can't give you this information yet. :D

Which forms are you referring to? Pillar sets?

Best,
Horse Power

Lohankuen1
11-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Hello Horse Power,

I just finished reading the thread you posted earlier concerning the Lai Ng Sam lineage and i want to clear some things up before any contreversy gets started.

I did not know of the contreversy concerning this lineage until i read that thread horse power. If you look at a thread i started a couple of days ago, i was just inquiring about any hung gar in the toronto area. i do not represent anyone or have authority on any subject concerning this lineage of lai ng sam. i was just passing along info i read on a website and if ben gash wanted to look into it a bit further it is his prerogative. That's all !!

I do not mean to reopen old wounds or start new ones. That is not my intent. I just didn't realize the perceived problems associated with the lineage in question.

Sincerely

Horse Power
11-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Hello Lohankuen1,

No offence.

BTW. Tid Kiu Sam's lineage is found within Wong Fei Hung's lineage. So I guess you're right.

Best,
Horse Power