PDA

View Full Version : Softness or Technique?

Allan T
08-26-2001, 01:01 PM
When teaching Chi-sau or more specifically the poon sau movement, how does one illicit the "required" reaction from a junior student to your stimuli since he/she has not developed the sensitivity? Should you apply fook sau heavier to draw out the Tan sau? Should you attack "into" his tan sau (en route to the centreline), to draw out the bong sau reaction?
Yes, one does not want to give your opponent any energy whilst doing Chi-sau, but how else can one ensure that the student begins to feel what pressure brings out certain reflex techniques without resorting to using too much force thereby giving the student the impression that the system is POWER based! :(

Sihing73
08-26-2001, 02:21 PM
Hello,

I would disagree that one does not want to give any energy to the opponent while doing Chi Sau. I know some lineages which exert quite a bit of forward energy. Chi Sau is a sensitivity exercise, a game, and it can be played a variety of ways. In some of them you will use more energy in some less. If you understand each differing method you will be better able to deal with all the nuances of energy. Chi Sau also involves stance and footwork as well as hands ;)

In answer to your question:
In the beginning you would need to feed the energy to your opponent in a more exagerated manner. This will aide the student in getting the proper feel of what heach technique should feel like. Of course, as one becomes more accustomed to the training the amount of energy can be decreased. I also would like to point out that just because I am saying to give some energy that does not mean to over-extend. It is far easier to demonstrate in person rather than here but I hope this is somewhat clear.

Oh, one last thing, consider this; In Chi Sau it is the energy given back and forth which results in the various movements. If you do not give any energy to the opponent, he/she will have nothing to react to and hence no reason to move. So the two of you would be standing there doing nothing :)

Peace,

Dave

S.Teebas
08-26-2001, 10:23 PM
It is more difficult to NOT give energy, than it is to give it (during chi-sau).

whippinghand
08-26-2001, 10:24 PM
Help him understand the force that he will reject later.

chi-kwai
08-26-2001, 11:43 PM
That says everything, I am sure he totally understands now.

--
chi kwai

CLOUD ONE
08-27-2001, 02:24 AM
Allan T
Doesn't it depend on what POWER???

Sharky
08-27-2001, 03:30 AM
WH's post was pretty self explanitory.

================================================== =
The battle started with a grapple, he had real long hair so a grabbed a hand full, and chopped 'em in the Adams-apple, his partner in back of you tried to attack you, so I'ma twist 'em up like a pret-zel then I'ma tag you/I can't believe he wanna grapple again, I swung 'em around like I was dancing wit 'em, put his arms in back of his head and snapped 'em again, I fractured his limbs and put em in the figure-"6 subtracted from 10"...

jesper
08-27-2001, 11:09 AM
In WT we are taught to be very relaxed and use minimum energie (yes yes I know its not unique).
The difference between a beginner and a more advanced student can be felt in the rigid movement of the beginner, whereas the more advanced student will feel much softer.
But there must always be a forward intent, and when you train with a beginner its important to exagerate your intent a little more than usual.

The real trick is to keep your forward intent just strong enough to let your partner react to it, but not so strong as to trade skills with brute force.

wingchunalex
08-27-2001, 11:27 PM
if you want them to react in a certain way just go slower with your attack. let them see/feel it comming. if you go to fast they can't see/feel it. then when they get good at recognizing the attack, speed it up at bit. you both should have enough forward energy (spring loading) to were if they aren't doing their tan or their bong they will collapse and you can extend to their center line. great comments everyone else!

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu