PDA

View Full Version : Got skill not ego?

SaekSan
11-03-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm looking for people interested in coming to our school and figthing Kuoshu style rules with some of our fighters.

We're looking for people interested in fighting in a non-threatining environment in which you will be treated with respect regardless of the outcome of the fights (we expect that you will have the same attitude). We will follow USCKF rules and will even provide the appropriate gloves and helmet (you would need your own cup and mouthpiece).

Currently we have fighters in the following weights:

1 - 118#
1 - 125#
1 - 145#
1 - 150#
1 - 155#
1 - 175#
1 - 220#

1 Female - 130#

The idea here is to create an opportunity for my fighters to have the opportunity to train with people that have a variety of backgrounds so they can prepare for upcoming tournaments more adequately (currently they just fight eachother).

We are located in Madison, WI. I know this will pertain mostly to folks close to us, but with enough notice we might have a couch you can crash on if you're coming from too far away.

If anyone is interested please reply.

Thank you.

Yum Cha
11-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Ok Bloomin Lotus, the gig is up.....

Royal Dragon
11-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Any Kou Shou events in Chicago??

SaekSan
11-03-2004, 07:58 PM
YC,

I'm not BL... if you care to read my other posts you can confirm this yourself.

RD,

Unfortunately there are no Kuoshu events in the Chicago area. I am hoping to organize a Kuoshu tournament in the near future for the midwest but my last attempt, a couple of years ago, failed. We are hoping to run a Kuoshu rules division within a local Karate tournament soon, hopefully it comes to fruition.

My invitation still stands as I understand you are in the Chicago area.

Thank you for replying.

SiuHung
11-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by SaekSan
I'm looking for people interested in coming to our school and figthing Kuoshu style rules with some of our fighters.

We're looking for people interested in fighting in a non-threatining environment in which you will be treated with respect regardless of the outcome of the fights (we expect that you will have the same attitude). We will follow USCKF rules and will even provide the appropriate gloves and helmet (you would need your own cup and mouthpiece).

Currently we have fighters in the following weights:

1 - 118#
1 - 125#
1 - 145#
1 - 150#
1 - 155#
1 - 175#
1 - 220#

1 Female - 130#

The idea here is to create an opportunity for my fighters to have the opportunity to train with people that have a variety of backgrounds so they can prepare for upcoming tournaments more adequately (currently they just fight eachother).

We are located in Madison, WI. I know this will pertain mostly to folks close to us, but with enough notice we might have a couch you can crash on if you're coming from too far away.

If anyone is interested please reply.

Thank you.

Don't know anything about USCKF rules...but I'm in Milwaukee.
When do you train? Feel Free to E-mail me.

SaekSan
11-04-2004, 06:56 AM
SH,

We hold the Kuoshu sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00pm until 10:00pm.

If you would like I can e-mail you the rules so you can become familiar with them.

Thank you.

David Jamieson
11-04-2004, 08:08 AM
[facetious&torpid rant]

why can't we have ego?

I mean what's wrong with getting p1ssed off and laying into someone hard because they accidentally tapped your groin.

everyone else in the school yard is doint it!

[/facetious&torpid rant]

SaekSan
11-04-2004, 03:55 PM
1.Competitors must wear approved headgear, gloves, mouthpiece, and groin cup. Female competitors must also wear a chest protector. No shin pads, chest protectors (for males) or braces will be allowed.

2.Rounds will be 2 minutes each. Total amount of rounds to be determined by mutual agreement between fighters beforehand. Minimum of 2 and maximum of 3.

3.Scoring:
o Contestant executes clear punch or kick - 1 point.
o Contestant executes clear punch or kick that knocks opponent down - 2 points.
o Without falling, contestant successfully throws opponent to the ground - 2 points.
o Both falling during throw, contestant who lands on top (in control) - 1 point
o Contestant forces or throws opponent off fighting area - 3 points.
o Through own error, contestant loses balance - 1 point deduction
o Contestant executes clear elbow/knee technique without holding - 1 point

4.Penalties:
o Contact to the eyes, throat, back of the head, or groin is illegal. For female competitors, contact to the breast area is also illegal.
o Techniques using the head are illegal.
o Fouls:
First violation: 1 point deduction
Second violation: 3 point deduction
Third violation: disqualification

o Technical Fouls:
First violation: warning
Second violation: 1 point deduction
Third violation: disqualification
oAny serious foul will be grounds for immediate disqualification.

5.Fighters who maliciously hurt their opponents will be held liable for any damages or injuries. The referee has full authority to stop the fight at any time for safety or any other reason.

Golden Arms
11-04-2004, 05:45 PM
I might be game Saeksan if I can get out there..it would be a fun quick trip. What is your timeframe on this?

SaekSan
11-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Golden Arms, great to hear from you!

Any time, if you're coming in over the weekend we could even arrange it so it goes down on a Saturday and we'll all go out and party afterwards! :)

When's a good time for you?

SaekSan
11-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Wolfen,

Can you elaborate on "suicide kicks" for me please. I'm not familiar with that term, and the term "suicide throws" do you mean "sacrifice throws"?

For throws to count you cannot touch the ground with any part of your body (i.e. hands or knees) other than your feet prior to the throw.

If you throw the opponent and you, as the thrower, remain standing after the technique is executed it's 2 points.

If you land on the ground with your opponent then it's 1. Supplexes and scissor kicks usually fall in this category, but depend on the quality and clarity of the throw for it to count.

FngSaiYuk
11-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Sounds like fun... I wish there was something like this in my area.

Unfortunately, Madison is ~5hours drive from me. Although, I'll definately email if I ever do get a chance to pass through the area sometime. I'd LOVE to have some friendly hard/full contact sparring with others.

SaekSan
11-05-2004, 09:53 AM
FngSaiYuk,

Email me anytime and as stated before, with enough notice we might have a couch for you to crash on.

:)

SaekSan
11-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Ahhh... ok, now I understand.

The "suicide kick" is not covered in the Kuoshu rules so I can't speak for the USCKF in their tournaments, but this will be our schools take on it.

If you can pull it off and knock the person out you would "win" the match, I say "win" because that's not really the point we're trying to make, we just want people to come down and have a friendly match. If you do it and are able to strike before falling to the ground, in our school, we would count the point. If you do it and fall to the ground and do not score it would be considered "Through own error, contestant loses balance - 1 point deduction ".

Now those are "ifs", I personally have not seen any of those kicks done in any of the tournaments I have attended. Personally I would prefer people not to use them as it seems a little showy and ego based but hey, if you can do it and do it well (read knockout) I respect that.

The gloves we use are open fingered and about 4 oz. here's a pic with students wering the gloves and helmet:

http://www.zykfa.org/gallery/albums/MiscLeiTai/3007_G.jpg

SevenStar
11-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by wolfen
EDIT: okay okay, i looked it up, wrestling suplexes can end up in a tangle on the floor.
I was thinking of Jujitsu throws

are you referring to ura nage? that can end up in groud fighting also, If you don't do it cleanly enough to get an ippon.

SaekSan
11-11-2004, 07:20 AM
"Is the USCKF under the umbrella of IWUF with the same rules?"

The USCKF (United States Chinese Kuoshu Federation) is under the ICKF (International Chinese Kuoshu Federation) which is based in Taiwan (R.O.C.) and TWKSF (The World Kuoshu Federation) which is based in Maryland. The IWUF is based out of China (P.R.C.) and I beleive the US branch is the USAWKF, but people such as GLW and lkfmdc would be able to shed more light on that association than I would.

"I don't regard them as "flashy". It comprises part of a skill set. The skill set includes kicking, breakfall, fight from ground and return. So missing is not loss, the score might be done on the recovery when the opponent is drawn in to attack."

I can understand your point and agree, however in the context of the fight as a sport with guidelines and rules for safety and scoring, the particular technique would be considered a "loss". As stated before I'll respect people who can effectively use said technique my problem is with people who do it for fun and without regard for their safety and of others.

MonkeySlap Too
11-11-2004, 07:45 AM
I'll call Water Dragon and Little Joe. The trip might be prohibitive - it's a long drive - but it is a chance to play with another group...

SaekSan
11-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Excellent!

As stated earlier, if you're coming from out of town we can make arrangements ahead of time to accomodate you, WD and LJ.

Just let me know what works for you guys.

Thank you!

SaekSan
11-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Whatever happened to Wolfen's reply?

BTW, just got an e-mail back from a local gym that trains Vale Tudo, BJJ and Kickboxing and the coach is interested in stopping by with his fighters and working with us as well.

So depending on when people come by we might have a full house with a variety of weights and experiences.

The more the merrier!

IronFist
11-12-2004, 03:33 PM
You said if you throw someone whoever lands on top (in control) gets the point.

What if you take someone down and end with them in your guard? They're on top but they're not necessarily in control.

SaekSan
11-12-2004, 03:51 PM
IronFist,

If you throw the person and land on top of them you get the point. If they land on top of you it does not count even if you're in total control of the situation. The idea is to be quick on the takedown, once you hit the floor all fighting stops and points are awarded (or not). Because the fighting does not continue on the ground this type of technique is not scored (again we will work within the parameters of the rules for the sport).