PDA

View Full Version : More clips

sihing
11-04-2004, 12:46 AM
Click the link and to the last two videos(the first three are on a previous thread), one is of myself and Sifu Cornelio Martens during a combat exchange at a womens show, the other is of Wally, a student being graded on some of the Mok Jong form, he was testing for his level 8 in our system.
www.codetrap.net/wingchun
James

Simon
11-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi James

Very interesting - good precise technique, some things are quite different to what I've been taught, but food for thought.

One question - I saw your student looking down at the leg everytime he moved around it. Is this something you encourage or discourage? I can see pro's and con's for directly looking down at the leg (taking your eyes off your opponents arms/elbows etc) as opposed to using your peripheral vision.

<edit> ah ... I'm talking about the wooden dummy video </edit>

sihing
11-04-2004, 01:25 AM
I'm not sure if he is looking at the leg, I will have to ask him next time I see him, but you can kinda relate Mok Jong training to chi-sao practice, since contact with the Dummy arms should be constant and with forward intention at most times. Sometimes I practice the set with my eyes closed, but at a slower pace, just to sense my awareness of space and my positioning in accordance to the dummy.

Yes Simon, the dummy set that we practice is different from most Dummy set out there, even the TWC dummy set.

James

P.S. The student Wally on the dummy is my Sifu's student and not my direct student as I teach at my Sifu's kwoon.

Simon
11-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by sihing
I'm not sure if he is looking at the leg, I will have to ask him next time I see him

Check out the vid again - its quite obvious a few times. I was just wondering because I'm always pulling up beginners for looking where they are stepping too much.

,but you can kinda relate Mok Jong training to chi-sao practice, since contact with the Dummy arms should be constant and with forward intention at most times. Sometimes I practice the set with my eyes closed, but at a slower pace, just to sense my awareness of space and my positioning in accordance to the dummy.

yep same 'ere

P.S. The student Wally on the dummy is my Sifu's student and not my direct student as I teach at my Sifu's kwoon. [/B]

no worries :D

sihing
11-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Simon
Check out the vid again - its quite obvious a few times. I was just wondering because I'm always pulling up beginners for looking where they are stepping too much. Yes, I do the same with beginners, especially when the form their neutral stances, lol. Yes it does appear he is looking down sometimes, maybe he is just training watching the lower body which could represent the elbow/knee watching of TWC. By the way have you ever seen Paul Vunak do any techniques. He's always looking somewhere else, even in still pictures, like he is daydreaming or something. Apparently he has good contact reflexes, I have a few of his tapes too.

yep same 'ereIts a good training approach and mixes things up doesn't it. I will also do the same with the live dummy on a partner, and have them moving around a little more so its harder.

no worries :D Cool

So Simon I understand your in the TWC system in Australia, under what lineage? Just curious.

James

Phil Redmond
11-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Hey James, that dummy form is a little different form the TWC form taught and I wonder why the student re-chambers his fists during the form. Good demo though. Was that Nunavit music in the background on one of the vids?
Phil

sihing
11-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Phil,
I think Wally was just being formal, as this clip is from his grading for level 8 and he may have been a little tense. Usually there is no bringing back of the arms in the Mok Jong form, sticking is important and forward intention too.

The music from the other demo's is from the Matrix soundtrack I believe, not sure what Nunavit music is?

James

amjg2000
11-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Sihing,

Nice demos, i didn't get to see all of them, but i watched the ones titled 'combat demo' and Combat Demo in chinatown.

Question for you. Do you folks usually kick so high? In the Combat Demo video, the guy with the hair pulled back seemed to do quite a few high roundhouse style snap kicks. Is this an particular attribute of your lineage?

Anyhow, cool videos!

Phil Redmond
11-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Phil,
I think Wally was just being formal, as this clip is from his grading for level 8 and he may have been a little tense. Usually there is no bringing back of the arms in the Mok Jong form, sticking is important and forward intention too.

The music from the other demo's is from the Matrix soundtrack I believe, not sure what Nunavit music is?

James
Hey James, I've been hanging in in Canada too long. ;)
The Nunavit (sp)? are what we call Eskimos in the States. I thought I heard native drums on one of the clips.
Phil

sihing
11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Yes, that's where I have heard that term before, I call them Eskimos too, lol.

I believe the music you are talking about came from that scene in Matrix Reloaded where they are in the cave and they have that big party there after Morpheus has his speech, sorta trible theme'd.

James

Simon
11-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Yes, I do the same with beginners, especially when the form their neutral stances, lol. Yes it does appear he is looking down sometimes, maybe he is just training watching the lower body which could represent the elbow/knee watching of TWC. By the way have you ever seen Paul Vunak do any techniques. He's always looking somewhere else, even in still pictures, like he is daydreaming or something. Apparently he has good contact reflexes, I have a few of his tapes too.

yep same 'ereIts a good training approach and mixes things up doesn't it. I will also do the same with the live dummy on a partner, and have them moving around a little more so its harder.

Nup haven't heard of Paul Vunak, not really up with the whole fighting scene - what does he train? I was just wondering if there wan something to learn re: the eyes thing ;)

I love the TWC dummy form, easily my favourite thing to train. on the dummy, with a partner etc - though especially slamming the dummy as hard as I can :D

So Simon I understand your in the TWC system in Australia, under what lineage? Just curious
James

I've been training in Perth under Sifu Peter Guy, who learned under Sifu Dana Wong. I've also been over east a little to train with (previously) Sifu Dana and now Sifu Julian

sihing
11-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Simon
Nup haven't heard of Paul Vunak, not really up with the whole fighting scene - what does he train? I was just wondering if there wan something to learn re: the eyes thing ;)

I love the TWC dummy form, easily my favourite thing to train. on the dummy, with a partner etc - though especially slamming the dummy as hard as I can :D

I've been training in Perth under Sifu Peter Guy, who learned under Sifu Dana Wong. I've also been over east a little to train with (previously) Sifu Dana and now Sifu Julian

Paul Vunak is probably the most famous and skilled student of Dan Inosanto who is the most famous and skilled student of Bruce Lee, under the JKD concept banner. He is said to be quite skilled in chi-sao and other sensivity drills and when ever you see a picture of him in action or video he is always looking somewhere else.

Dana Wong, yes I have heard of him but haven't seen any clips of him yet. I understand he was Cheung's right hand man for a long while at the Aussie headquarter but left Cheung's organization a couple of years ago, that seems to happen lots in his organization. My Sifu(and all of us) left his organization back in 94-95'.

I like the Mok Jong form too, and lots of chi-sao and combat sparring at times too, depends on what I feel like doing that day. Sometimes just forms are good enough for me, I'm not obsessed with the physical aspects of preparing for the fight that might never happen stuff. I honestly believe that as one has more time in the art of WC they can get better at it without the endless hours of workouts that most MA require. That statement will probably fall on deaf ears around here but I have personally experienced it and have seen it with my Sihing and Sifu also. Visualization is a powerful tool and the mind does not know the difference between something vividly imagined and something that really happened. I'm not saying I'm the be all and end all of fighting, just that I don't work at the WC as much as I used to but my skill has improved over the years.

James