PDA

View Full Version : best cardio machine for a girl

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-04-2004, 12:49 AM
my woman is quitting smoking with me and has mentioned she wishes we had an exercise bike. i have never really found those to feel very effective, though i must admit that i haven't used any decent ones for a great length of time, so i figured id come here begging for help as usual.

any suggestions on what's the best home cardio machine for your money out there would be appreciated. and yes i understand that i could just hand her a jump rope, but if any of you have women you'll understand where im coming from. i like my ***** thin and i'm willing to work within her limits to keep her that way.

i mentioned the pony tailed dude's elliptical trainer on here a long time ago, but that seemed to get shot down pretty good so i let it go while we worked on saving for the house and what not.

mickey
11-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi GDA,

Sometimes it is best to get a lady what she asks for. She will be more likely to stick with it. Check the T Mag review of this spinner. It is like the Lemond RevMaster but at half the price:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=46FC27B2FAA797E3A86CBEA7C3 4AABA2.ba13-2?id=503959

You may also want to suggest a second hand Bowflex. It has a good store of value if she should ever tire of it. Similar is the Crossbow. Same technology at less than half the price: I don't know about the quality though.

mickey

mickey
11-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Oh yeah,

The purchase of a good quality jump rope is a very good idea if your lady tends to be fickle. If she quits you have saved hundreds. If she sticks with it, you had better save for that bike. Jumping rope is a good exercise.

mickey

unixfudotnet
11-04-2004, 06:07 AM
For cardio, women can do the same as men :) Actually they can do the same as us in everything, just some wish to not have muscle mass, heh.

But for cardio, it is portable to all sexes :) Like was said, more important is something that she will enjoy and stick with.

Ming Yue
11-04-2004, 07:15 AM
GDA,

can she get a freebie one-time visit to a gym to try out the different machines? That way she can be sure you're getting the machine she's gonna want to use for a while.

I really like a stairclimber better for my cardio. She should also try out the elliptical trainers, although in my experience those are kind of weak.

Toby
11-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Well, I like the Concept 2 (http://www.concept2.com/) I got for my wife. 'Cept she's been sick and hasn't been using it much. I've put it to good use since she we got it though. Pricey, but worth the price if you're gunna use it.

Ford Prefect
11-04-2004, 08:21 AM
Versa climber baby.

IronFist
11-04-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm having total deja vu with this post. Didn't you ask the same question a year or two ago?

FatherDog
11-04-2004, 01:11 PM
http://www.bettymills.com/store/images/product/FEUR3693.JPG

Meat Shake
11-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Versa climber baby.

I wish they had one at my gym. None of the bally's in fat antonio have kettle bells, heavy bags, or versa climbers. :(

unixfudotnet
11-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Maybe hit the bikes, they are low impact, and you get the sit down. Just to get into the swing of things, and mindset of doing something for a long period of time.

Ming Yue
11-04-2004, 02:02 PM
would love to try a versa climber.... expensive bit of equpiment. none in my town either.

One nice thing about a small town gym, they saved my HIIT routine as a preset on my favorite stairclimber.

Samurai Jack
11-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Outside of MA and weight training, I'm a lazy SOB, so I always seek the path of least resistance when it comes to cardio. I'd go with one of those recumbent exercise bikes becuase even if she dosen't have alot of will power she can read, watch T.V., or use the computer and just peddle away the whole while. I wish I had one. Think how many hours a day you just sit around the house. If you translated that to hours doing low impact cardio...

mickey
11-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Hey Guys,

Didn't she ask for an exercise bike?

mickey

red5angel
11-04-2004, 04:23 PM
send her to me GDA, I'll give her a cardio workout she'll never forget. :D

Toby
11-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Yeah, that's not a bad idea (well, not sending her to R5A :D). Dunno if you're up to it at the moment, but a good session of sex a day would let you both get your cardio done at the same time - you wouldn't have to argue over who gets the machine. Plus you'd save money!

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-04-2004, 07:58 PM
iron ...
I'm having total deja vu with this post. Didn't you ask the same question a year or two ago?

i think i just asked about that tony pony tail elliptical thing a while back. i guess that's still on the table, but if they aren't any better than a decent bike than i'd rather just get one of those.

s.jack ...
even if she dosen't have alot of will power she can read, watch T.V., or use the computer and just peddle away the whole while. I wish I had one.

exactly.

toby ...
a good session of sex a day would let you both get your cardio done at the same time - you wouldn't have to argue over who gets the machine. Plus you'd save money!

i'd be all about that, but with the kid and everything it's not always easy. i guess i could always send her to red, but im not sure how much she'd charge me for that.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-04-2004, 08:00 PM
you got a good memory iron ... that thread was over 2 years ago.

the thing i keep referring to is the gazel:
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13529

you also had a follow up thread on it:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13719

that said is the versa climber or any of that cheaper and or better?

Toby
11-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
... with the kid and everything it's not always easy.:empathetic grin: We've had some close calls too :D.

Ka
11-04-2004, 09:16 PM
I second the Concept 2
or a Good Spin Cycle (if she into cycleing)
But if just getting into fittness how about a Good Pack,Joggers/Boots and push a morning routine of a weighted walk around your local area.
Much cheaper then any machine but still requires the same discipline and motivation.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-04-2004, 11:37 PM
but still requires the same discipline and motivation

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-04-2004, 11:40 PM
.... keep in mind too that she's thin now so there's no real pushing factor for her other than to keep it that way, hopefully tone up, and even better yet aquire more energy so that she'll do more housework.

and i can't believe i haven't yet commented on the vaccume picture. that was awesome thank you father dog.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-04-2004, 11:50 PM
.... so to put this in better persepctive it's more about me. she has shown some interest in working out and im trying to jump on it.

im looking for something that would be a good introduction into fitness. something that will give some results without being too demanding as far as time/planning, but not so leanient in effort. unless its me, she'll jump on something and give it her all for 15 minutes every day if it's there for her to jump on. but she's not going to plan walks which would include getting dressed, and making sure i'm awake or even home to watch adora, and at least 3 or 4 other things that go into that. she needs something that can sit in the room and stare at her with indignation every morning .... calling out to her "we spent money on you .... use me *****."

if she got into it she might be all about the walking/jogging later, but there's no way she'd stick with something like that now.

Toby
11-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Well, I like the Concept 2 (http://www.concept2.com/) ... worth the price if you're gunna use it.

mickey
11-05-2004, 08:26 AM
GDA,

If you are leaning in the direction of the Concept 2, you might as well get her a Bowflex. It has a good rowing feature, and, when she tires of that, she can do resistance training. Get one used: putting one together is pure hell.

The second generation power pro line (with the safety upgrade) is, in my opinion better than the third generation Ultimate and Extreme series.

mickey

red5angel
11-05-2004, 09:02 AM
you wouldn't have to argue over who gets the machine.

you realize we're talking about GDA here right?

but seriously folks....hvae you considered something other then a machine? Like some sort of cardio workout? If she is already thin, my guess is all she would need to do is tone up a little and most machines aren't really going to help that. If she did some sort of bodyweight/cardio workout, 30 minutes a day I bet it would help a ton. My wife does Pilates and seems to really enjoy it.

Ming Yue
11-05-2004, 09:23 AM
a bike wouldn't take up too much room, would be quiet so she could work out while Adora is sleeping ...

looks like you should expect to spend between $150 and $600 for one new, I bet you could find a good one used in your area for much less.