PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting can be weird

IronFist
11-04-2004, 10:02 PM
I was reading in a Men's Health or something at Barnes and Noble (I don't buy that magazine) an article about Dave Tate or whoever and the Westside gym. Dave (or one of the guys) said at one point he was benching 600lbs but couldn't military press 55lbs for 10 reps. Wow. Talk about SAID.

As a side note, this article was called "Increase your biceps by 2 inches" but yet it was a powerlifting article. It had nothing to do with biceps training or anything. The only connection was the fact that a lot of elite level powerlifters are really big. Stupid misleading title.

Samurai Jack
11-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

As a side note, this article was called "Increase your biceps by 2 inches"... Stupid misleading title.

How dare you Ironfist! Mens Health is like the holy grail of bodybuilding! Just glancing at an issue from across the room can do more for most people than a truckload of D-bol.

You've gotta get a grip man, and try out thier new cardio-ball squat routine. Basically you do two sets of 10 with a cardio ball balanced on top of your head. Observe proper form so you don't hurt yourself. It's gauranteed to put slabs of rock-hard muscle on your deltoids.

Toby
11-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Mens' Health? :p I call bull**** on their article. Either "creative journalism", or Dave taken out of context. 10 reps of 55lb? That's barely an unloaded bar. An untrained guy should be able to do that.

Ford Prefect
11-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Dave has had a lot of shoulder problems. Maybe he can't do that because he doesn't have the flexability due to an injury... I'm 110% certain he is strong enough too and that guys at westside frequently do huge weights for shoulders. It's impossible to have triceps strong enough to do 400+ lbs skull crushers, but not press 55 lbs for 10 reps. It's definately injury related.

IronFist
11-05-2004, 08:52 AM
I dunno, it sounds really extreme but I might believe it. After doing PTP for a while I could bench 235 x 5 but I could barely do 135 x 10. It happens like that.

Ford Prefect
11-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Iron,

A large number of westside guys post their daily training logs up on the elite fitness site. Just check it out. Dave is constantly bothered by shoulder problems. There is absolutely no way on God's green earth that a person with no medical problems who can bench 600+ lbs and isolate his triceps with 400+ lbs couldn't lift 55 lbs over his head for 10 reps.