PDA

View Full Version : Dead Legs

Reggie1
11-05-2004, 08:42 AM
I'm a former athlete who took up TCMA training about two months ago, and now I'm having a problem with weak / dead legs in some of my classes. Here's my typical weekly schedule:

M--Stretch
T--Class (1.5 hrs, lots and lots and lots of low stances, lots of kicks)
W--Rest, stretch
R---Class (same as above)
F--Class (push hands, but we still have to be in low stances a lot)
Sat / Sun--I usually will rest one of these days and do a light workout one of the days. The light workout is usually just what we do in class, and I just trim off a couple of things)

The question is, why am I getting the dead legs? For example, in class yesterday they felt like Jell-O. Does this just happen, or should I rest them more?

Also, my legs are still feeling a little weak today. Should I skip class tonight to let them rest, or does it matter? I don't want to get weaker, but I also don't want to skip class.

fa_jing
11-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Even if you were an athlete, if you study a style with alot of low stances and kicking, that 2- 10 month period as a beginner is going to kick your ass.

red5angel
11-05-2004, 03:12 PM
sounds like you just need more rest. I know my legs get weak if I work out too much on them too many days in a row. Some styles just work your legs in ways you're not used to, even being an athlete, so give it some time. I'd only be concerned if they started to hurt or ache chronically.

As for skipping class or whatnot. If your instructor is an understanding guy, he'd let you show up and do what you could with the class without pushing your legs too much. If you or he will think it's too disruptive take the day off and relax.

Reggie1
11-05-2004, 03:25 PM
I'll probably just take the day off and rest. My instructor is pretty understanding, but he's kind of an old-school 'suck it up' guy if you're going to come to class.

It's tough, though, because today is my favorite day.

Roger LaPointe
11-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Dead legs are probably a combination of overtraining and an electrolyte level that is too low. Try getting more water and maybe an energy drink. It will probably help if you eat more potassium, like bananas and or a supplement. You can also start doing weight lifting, like squats and lunges of various types. Try adding this 2 times a week and concentrate on other parts of the body instead of so much low stance work. For lunges, use dumbbells, padlocks, balls (stone or medecine type), kettlebells or even a barbell, if you have weightlifting experience. Substitue in more stretching too.

WinterPalm
11-06-2004, 02:16 PM
This is definately to be expected. And welcome to kung fu! Your legs will be taxed to their utmost in everything you do. From working them on stances, forms, footwork, kicking, even basic self-defence, everything is going to come from the legs and this will build your foundation. Stance training should never be neglected and you will always need to practice it, it is the root of kung fu and so many things depend on flexible, strong, and coordinated legs. Keep practicing, go to class, afterwards stretch and bit and then take a hot, as hot as you can handle, bath. Keep practicing though, don't get discouraged and quit.:)

mickey
11-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Greetings and welcome to the martial arts world,

I recommend that you incorporate post workout weight training that would include squats and lunges. You can finish with spinning or some other cardio work. This would help accelerate your progress. Also nourish yourself well. Since you are an athlete, you should understand this

Do you have standing post meditation in your school? If you do, start doing that daily. That will help you develop that juice to get you into your stances and through your workouts.

Have fun,

mickey

Reggie1
11-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully it was just a one-time thing, but these are all good ideas on how to keep my legs in better shape. I've really changed my diet around to try and help (lots more protein, more calories), and I'm going to try lifting after class to see if that helps, too.

mickey
11-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Sounds Great!

Remember to try to keep a good balance of strength between your hamstrings and quadriceps.

Have fun!

mickey