PDA

View Full Version : Happy Guy Fawkes Day!

Chang Style Novice
11-05-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm feeling more and more sympathetic towards the Gunpowder Plotters these days...

The Willow Sword
11-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Yes but they failed miserably to blow up the house pf parliment.

i mean i dont think it is necessary to blow up any thing we have in this country to overtake or overthrow this friendly facist government. we cant do this in one lifetime but we can create and spawn a generation of like minded and decent human beings to counter whats going on,,until such time as the power shifts(like it always does) and something new arises. it may be good or it may be bad,,who knows.

1st amendment/Peace/ All my best...TWS

FatherDog
11-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Remember, remember...the fifth of November,
the Gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder treason
ever should be forgot.

Ming Yue
11-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
Yes but they failed miserably to blow up the house pf parliment.

i mean i dont think it is necessary to blow up any thing we have in this country to overtake or overthrow this friendly facist government. we cant do this in one lifetime but we can create and spawn a generation of like minded and decent human beings to counter whats going on,,until such time as the power shifts(like it always does) and something new arises. it may be good or it may be bad,,who knows.

1st amendment/Peace/ All my best...TWS

So you're saying the new liberal agenda should be "get it on"?

works for me.

Chang Style Novice
11-05-2004, 01:04 PM
My opinion is that the Dems should keep focussing on bread-and-butter issues, where we're strongest. The way the GOP won this election was with GOTV initiatives in swing states. Bush coattailed into power this time on Gay Marriage, especially in SW Ohio (unless Diebold did it for him - see my post in the Bush wins thread for that.) What needs to happen for a democratic majority is that the regular folk of the nation have to realize that on the issues that actually affect them personally on a day to day basis, the democratic positions work to their advantage. "Cultural conservatism" has been a big winner for the GOP because it gets people outraged and fired up even though it doesn't have any real effect on quality of life, so we've got to get rid of that advantage somehow. How to? I don't know, I'm afraid.

red5angel
11-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Bush coattailed into power this time on Gay Marriage, especially in SW Ohio (unless Diebold did it for him - see my post in the Bush wins thread for that.)

The problem with democrats is they tend to oversimplify the supposed "common man" or the rural people.

FatherDog
11-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
The problem with democrats is they tend to oversimplify the supposed "common man" or the rural people.

I don't pretend that gay marriage was the only reason people voted for Bush - abortion was a major factor, as was (mistakenly, I feel) domestic security. But the people who disapprove of gay marriage were voting for Bush, and Bush's reelection committee was specifically sponsoring the anti-gay-marriage ballot initiatives in states they felt they were in trouble in, because they felt it would energize Bush voters.

Gay marriage wasn't the only issue Bush won on, but it was a major one - and this was a close election.

red5angel
11-05-2004, 06:57 PM
right, it was one of many issues, some of them were big, some weren't. But that's my point, people who are interested in politics often over simplify the situation. How many times on this board have I seen comments about backwoods hicks, remarks about thinking and non-thinking states/counties, and so on and so forth.