PDA

View Full Version : Dit da jow and isop. ethly alcohol...

Cung-Fu
11-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Traditionally ethyl (rice wine) alcohol was used in making dit da jow, has anyone used isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol instead? Considering, the diffrence in ethyl and isop. isn't that much.

Can any pharmacist/herbalist give me some thoughts?

ntc
11-05-2004, 04:00 PM
One of the principal reasons why rice wine is used is because of its ability to invigorate and move blood, according to traditional Chinese Medicine. Trauma-type injuries for which dit da jow targets is typically accompanied by blood stasis. Treatment protocal would call for removing blood statis, invigorating blood, and moving blood. Which is why the bulk of the herbs you would find in a dit da jow formula are used to do exactly that. And this is also why rice wine is used and not alcohol, as the latter does not possess this property.

Cung-Fu
11-06-2004, 03:58 AM
Yes, i agree in TCM rice wine have such properties. But, isopropyl alcohol also has properties of relieving muscle aches and pains, even in western viewpoint. From a TCM standpoint that would probably be the same as, blood/qi stasis, as far as trauma type injuries.

herb ox
11-12-2004, 12:52 PM
One issue remains with isopopyl alcohol - it simply dries to fast. Part of the effectiveness of dit da jow is the massage aspect - rice wine has higher water content, thus drying more slowly, thus prolonging the massage (didn't Sifu say 'rub it in till it's absorbed'?). Also, isopropyl doesnt store as well unless you have a really good container (I use recycled bottles from just about anywhere... cleaned, of course!).

I stick to a 50/50 mix of vodka and gin.

peace

herb ox

Cung-Fu
11-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Well, I decided not to break from tradition and used ethyl alcohol (rice wine) for my jow.