PDA

View Full Version : Warrior diet?

Samurai Jack
11-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Well after last week's weight drop from 208 to 205, bringing me to 13% BF, it seems I've plateaed once again. Has anyone tried Dragon Door's "Warrior Diet"? It's supposed to be a permanent diet change as opposed to a crash diet, and has some sort of "warrior philosophy" involved. It sounds cool, but I need more info before I shell out the $30.

IronFist
11-05-2004, 04:25 PM
I haven't read the book, but from what I've heard, it's "controlled undereating and then overeating," I think in the same day. So like you eat very little all day and then have a big dinner or something. I dunno.

Ask on Pavel's forum, but keep your BS detector on because they're likely to tell you that it's the best diet ever and works for everyone blah blah blah.

fa_jing
11-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I know a community of athletes that think the Warrior Diet is total bunk. It seems to work for the author, though. Basically, you don't eat all day, then you eat whatever you want in one big meal at night.

Samurai Jack
11-07-2004, 12:12 PM
That dosen't sound like bunk. It sounds like an extreme reduced calorie diet. It would work for a variety of reasons but sticking to it for any length of time would be problematic. I think I'll spread my little salads and such over the day. Much easier than an all day fast. Thanks for the responses.

Hau Tien
11-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
That dosen't sound like bunk. It sounds like an extreme reduced calorie diet. It would work for a variety of reasons but sticking to it for any length of time would be problematic. I think I'll spread my little salads and such over the day. Much easier than an all day fast. Thanks for the responses.

The Warrior Diet is not a day-fast. There are some things you can eat during the day (fresh fruits/veggies, small amount of protein).

http://www.ivillage.com/diet/features/guests/pages/0,,218936_598517-1,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=2

I found that link and it describes the diet a bit.

Abstract
11-08-2004, 07:47 AM
i've been following it for a couple months now, it's worked ok for me...

i think it's more instinctive eating when you get the feel for it. i basically fast all day until 5 or 6pm then eat. and by eat, i mean salad 1st, lean meat(fish/chicken/steak)2nd, then some carbs be it brown rice or something along those lines, basically when you eat it should be clean, no refined flours, sugars or sweets if u can help it. i don't eat alot of junk food so that's not an issue with me(just chocolate when i need it)

during the day if i DO get hungry i eat a small serving of carrots, or an apple or orange. if i feel like i need some protien then i have some almonds or some tunafish...and i always let myself have coffee when i want it...mmmmmmmmmmm.....D&D french vanilla...deee-lish:D

it's worked for me so far, i guess it's not for everybody though, like anything else.

unixfudotnet
11-08-2004, 08:24 AM
I am not doctor or an any expert on health and eating, yet it seems to me that that would totally kill your metabolism. Also it doesn't really seem like something one could really do in reality if they do not live alone or do not have a family.

I eat 6 times a day and drink tons of water, with low carbs, low fat, high protein throughout the day. I can eat meals with others and not have my new way of eating be a burden on others. Everyone probably knows what it is like to be around people that start these new wonderful diets, etc.

Though honestly, one of the main problems with people being overweight, myself included, is eating too much junk food and not the right foods and definitely not exercising enough.

Any diets that are going to work for more than a short amount of time will have to be something that can last a lifetime. Eating right is not a diet, it is needed to keep you alive and in good health. Exercising and not eating a ton of junk food, as well as giving your body what it needs (like vitamins and minerals) is just something you have to do.

So my main thing is eat right and exercise. Sometimes I only eat 3 times a day, sometimes 4, sometimes I do not drink water for a little while, but following a strict code of eating is no way to live. People before us were not on fancy diets and were not fatties... they ate right and exercised.

More people need to take more responsibility in their lives, and look inward.. the answer is pretty simple. Eat less junk and move your ass :) Excuses will kill you ;)

Sorry if longwinded, but these fad diets (that some people stick with for a long time) just annoy me... by the way, new diets have always been good publishing, especially now... especially in America where most of us are lardbutts ;)

IronFist
11-08-2004, 10:35 AM
If I don't eat anything all morning or afternoon then I have the smallest appetite later. My stomach shrinks or something and for dinner I eat like half a sandwich and then I'm full.

But if I eat breakfast then I'm hungry for lunch, and if I eat a big lunch then I'm really hungry for dinner.

So anyway, I see how you could lose weight on the Warrior Diet because you'd never be hungry cuz you don't eat anything. Well, at least that would work for a while until your metabolism slows down.

That's why if you're ever in an eating contest, or you're going to do one of those "eat the 48oz steak and it's free" type deals, it's not good to prepare by not eating anything all day because then you won't be hungry when the time comes to eat.

Abstract
11-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Iron, i'm the opposite. if i don't eat much all day by 5pm i am ravenous...

and...i don't NOT eat all day, but if i do, it's fruit, vegatables or nuts in small portions. or coffee. and of course , water all day.

then, like i said, my dinner is eaten in the order i specified, and maybe i'll eat 2 meals at night. works for me.

i'm not fat, i never have been, i just hate eating all day long, i don't have time. i'm more active at night anyway. like i said, it won't work for everyone.

Toby
11-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I couldn't do it. I too get hungry if I don't eat regularly. I'd be in physical pain by dinner time if I fasted until then. What about lifting? Surely you wouldn't be able to lift on a stomach that empty? And you'd have to lift right before you ate, right? Otherwise e.g. if you lifted in the morning you'd have 10hrs of catabolism before you replenished stores.

IronFist
11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Iron, i'm the opposite. if i don't eat much all day by 5pm i am ravenous...

You know, if I don't eat much by 5pm I FEEL ravenous, but then I eat like a chicken leg or something and I'm full. Many times I've been in this situation and ordered way too much food in a restaurant. People know I eat a lot, so they'll be like "dude what's wrong with you?" I go "I haven't eaten all day," and they go "then you should be extra hungry." And I go "um, yeah." :D

Samurai Jack
11-08-2004, 11:14 PM
OMG, what a nightmare!

I tried the diet today. I had a small salad for breakfast, a cup of coffee for lunch, and a little diet coke scattered throughout the day. I lifted a little around noon, just a PTP workout which lasted less than fifteen minutes. I felt fine. Great even.

I went to the dojo around five and got out around six. A fairly light workout, though I was a little more winded than usual. Stopped at the Dairy-Mart for a gatorade. I was fondly thinking of the enourmous meal I was about to go home and consume whilst slowly sipping my gatorade, when a wave of nausea hit me so hard I had to sit down in the convienience store parking lot.

Then the puking started. I had to pull over three times to barf in the gutter. I only live a five minute drive from my dojo. Four hours later I still can't hold anything down.

Misery tastes like like recycled grape gatorade. :(

Toby
11-08-2004, 11:45 PM
I feel like a dick, but roflmao! Funny story in the context of the thread :p. I guess that's a "no" for the diet, then? Are you sure it's the diet and not a bad Gatorade? FWIW, I'd probably do the same. Like I said, I don't do well not eating. I get stomach cramps and hunger pains about mid-afternoon at the latest - real physical discomfort.

IronFist
11-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Wait, did you read the book? Don't take my word for it, that's what I think the diet is based on what I've heard people say. I haven't read the book either.

Abstract
11-09-2004, 09:10 AM
SJ i don't mean to laugh but..ahhahahaaaaaaa...

sorry man i had to get that out, hope you're feeling better though..

yo man maybe you should try easing into it before just going cold turkey like that? i mean, if you're used to eating more then switching gears like that would make you sick...but you've figured that out i gather....:eek:

but yea man, i usually eat carbs during the day, but they're from apples, oranges, carrots, etc. i have a SMALL salad at lunch if i'm hungry and/or some almonds or tunafish if i think i'm gonna fade away later in the afternoon..and of course i drink water ALL DAY LONG, coupled with OJ when i wake up, vitamins, etc..

yo if i had salad for breffust then coffee@lunch & then diet coke, i'd vomit like a champ haha

Iron: sounds like you're like my brother, he doesn't know how i do this. he eats ALL DAY LONG, he eats clean, but ALL DAY, in addition to supplements, shakes, etc, he's like a machine....but then he's a 'hard gaining ecto' so maybe that's a factor? dunno :confused:

Samurai Jack
11-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the workout on an empty stomach that did it. I've never done so well working out with no food in my stomach, but I figured I'd give it a go.

I think I'll stick with merely limiting my calories and leave the fasting to those who can.

red5angel
11-09-2004, 04:29 PM
instead of diets you could use common sense. If you're trying to lose weight, take in less calories, try to make the calroies you do take in "clean" and exercise.
IF you feel you're doing all these, then shock your body - hit it hard for a week. Take a break for a week. Something to get your body paying attention again.

Serpent
11-10-2004, 04:20 PM
It's absurb to think that any diet or training program will work for everybody. Everyone has different metabolisms, different catabolic responses, etc.

Any method will yield certain results in a limited way until the body adapts (SAID) and then case by case management is required to get and continue the desired results.

There's a saying in the fitness industry - Anything works for 6 weeks.

Unfortunately, the multi-billion dollar diet and exercise fad industry trades exclusively on this concept and the ignorance of the general population. Ever noticed how everything has a 30 day money back guarantee. Why do think there's never a 50 day or 100 day money back guarantee? ;)

There's no panacea for weight loss or training methodology.