PDA

View Full Version : Gesture

Hermes3X
11-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Has anybody adopted the hand gestures and "body style" of their sifu? It's really weird, but over the past two years I have. I didn't mean to and generally I'm a very independent minded fella who doesn't usually mimic people, but in the past several months I've found myself using my sifu's gestures and sayings. Weird....

red5angel
11-05-2004, 09:57 PM
it's pretty common to pick up the habits of a person you are around alot. Freinds do it, husbands and wives do it, not a stretch to think students and teachers would do it.

Hermes3X
11-05-2004, 10:13 PM
but, I haven't picked up any gestures or speech from my wife (that I'm aware of) in the three years we've been together. In fact, I usually serve as her model.

red5angel
11-05-2004, 10:17 PM
sure, sometimes it works one way, sometimes it works both ways. My wife has picked up a lot from me as well but I've picked up barely anything from her. Some of my freinds and I tend to pass around idiosyncracies all the time.

cerebus
11-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Maybe you should wear protection. Passing that stuff around can't be good for you..... :D :D :D :D

red5angel
11-05-2004, 10:28 PM
don't make me come over there.:D

cerebus
11-05-2004, 10:30 PM
:D Heh, heh!

red5angel
11-05-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm comming to that ghetto NYC you call home after the holidays and knocking you the fcuk out right in front of your students

cerebus
11-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Sure man, anyday. I'll send you the address. *Sits back & sips his beer...... in California :D *

red5angel
11-05-2004, 10:39 PM
no see, I challenged you, now you HAVE to come to my house or you look like a punk azz beyotch.:cool:

Hermes3X
11-05-2004, 10:39 PM
you guys are killing My thread on physical memetics

FuXnDajenariht
11-06-2004, 06:53 AM
the person with the stronger will or personality would affect the other one. basically whoever has more control in the relationship. husband-wife...teacher-student....parent-child.....older-younger. you've seen it in HS for instance, the popular kids can start trends that the entire skool might follow. people are social animals.... outside thoughts affect us more than we realize.

Serpent
11-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by FuXnDajenariht
the person with the stronger will or personality would affect the other one. basically whoever has more control in the relationship. husband-wife...teacher-student....parent-child.....older-younger. you've seen it in HS for instance, the popular kids can start trends that the entire skool might follow. people are social animals.... outside thoughts affect us more than we realize.
Very true. There is also a case for extremes. For example, someone with a serious Bronx accent and someone with a very mild Australian accent. Over time, the Australian is much more likely to take on some aspects of the Bronx speech even if he (the Australian) is already the dominant personality.

As most people look up to their Sifu, they are bound to be in the sub position, but if the Sifu is Chinese with a strong accent or has other very distinct personality traits then these will also influence things.

Plus, you are always learning from your Sifu. Unconsciously you learn everything, not just the things he's trying to teach you. ;)

SifuAbel
11-06-2004, 06:43 PM
No , I think its because your sifu and you are doing the same training. You are learning his body movements as he did from his teacher.

SevenStar
11-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
No , I think its because your sifu and you are doing the same training. You are learning his body movements as he did from his teacher.

I think that plays a factor. The next step is to have your own style, so that you no longer mimic him, even though his influence may be seen.

SifuAbel
11-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
I think that plays a factor. The next step is to have your own style, so that you no longer mimic him, even though his influence may be seen.

That is of course if mimicing him is a bad thing and ineffective.

If he were an exceptional fighter, I'd like to mimic as much as possible.

Serpent
11-07-2004, 04:41 AM
But it's still an art, which is interpretive to a degree. Everyone eventually develops their own accent, even though their influences can still be evident.

SevenStar
11-07-2004, 05:18 AM
exactly.

FatherDog
11-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
That is of course if mimicing him is a bad thing and ineffective.

If he were an exceptional fighter, I'd like to mimic as much as possible.

Depends. My first grappling coach was 5'3". I'm 6'4" with extremely long limbs. There are certain details of his movement that, if I mimicked exactly, just flat out wouldn't work for me.

Many things are good habits no matter what your build, but you have to be able to distinguish.

FuXnDajenariht
11-07-2004, 02:00 PM
learn everything u can and then throw it all out the window and do your own thing. trying to use it will eventually make u adapt. it'll come natural when u finally relax and you get tired of getting hit in the face by ur training partner haha.

mimicing is the first step and taking on parts of his personality is a side affect im thinking. its subconscious. i notice i do that sumtimes...

joedoe
11-07-2004, 02:51 PM
A body language expert once said that if there is someone you are trying to impress or win favour with you will start to mimic their mannnerisms, because subconciously they will like you more if you do and will be more accepting of you. Next time you are out at a restaurant or bar, watch couples that appear to be dating or courting. They will generally start to mimic each other's mannerisms.

Serpent
11-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
A body language expert once said that if there is someone you are trying to impress or win favour with you will start to mimic their mannnerisms, because subconciously they will like you more if you do and will be more accepting of you. Next time you are out at a restaurant or bar, watch couples that appear to be dating or courting. They will generally start to mimic each other's mannerisms.
So that's why you use that awful English accent whenever I see you.

;)

norther practitioner
11-07-2004, 07:32 PM
It's better than Austrialian.

Serpent
11-07-2004, 07:40 PM
What's Austrialian?

:p

Toby
11-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
There is also a case for extremes. For example, someone with a serious Bronx accent and someone with a very mild Australian accent. Over time, the Australian is much more likely to take on some aspects of the Bronx speech even if he (the Australian) is already the dominant personality.It ****es me off when that happens. Most Oz actors head to the states or UK and pick up this godawful accent after just a few months. That's why I like Nicole Kidman - she's been away for ages yet retains an Australian accent. OTOH people like Kylie **** me off. She's more pom than Australian now.

joedoe
11-07-2004, 08:09 PM
So that's why you use that awful English accent whenever I see you.

;)

Yeah, my first boss was English and I just idolised him :D

Serpent
11-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah, my first boss was English and I just idolised him :D
That's cute that you still think of me as your first boss!

joedoe
11-07-2004, 08:31 PM
That's cute that you still think of me as your first boss!

I think you misspelled that. You spelled it b-o-s-s, but it is actually spelled b-i-t-c-h :D

Serpent
11-07-2004, 08:48 PM
I think you misspelled that. You spelled it b-o-s-s, but it is actually spelled b-i-t-c-h :D
I always mix those up.

Hermes3X
11-07-2004, 08:58 PM
now I realize how you guys got several thousand posts

Serpent
11-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Do you?

joedoe
11-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Wow that's cool

Serpent
11-07-2004, 10:45 PM