PDA

View Full Version : Does it throw you off it your attacker is in a side on stance?

Sharky
08-27-2001, 11:57 PM
Like an extreme side on stance. My friend used to do some kinda karate (don't even think he knows) for a year or two (that's irrelivant) and basically i find it hard to spar with him. There isn't much to hit as he's standing side on. Easy to get a sweep now and again, but he's latched onto that now, and is weighted more on his back leg.

In general, it's hard to capture his centre line, when all i can his is his side/shoulder!

Any ideas?

================================================== ==========================

"Life's a b*tch, but God-forbid the b*tch divorce me; I'll be flooded with ice, so hellfire can't scorch me"

Watchman
08-28-2001, 12:00 AM
Side step to get his back (triangle step -- I know you read the footwork post, Sharky). Use a lop sau on his lead arm to help propel you around him.

From there either punch him in the temple; snake your arms around his throat and choke him out; or grab his shoulders, kick his legs out from underneath him, and slam him backwards onto the ground.

Seriously, side facing stances are easier to manueuver around, and when you breach his lead hand/foot you've just taken half his weapons out of the fight.

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

One is weak because he makes preparations against others;
he has strength because he makes others prepare against him.
-- Sun-Tzu

dzu
08-28-2001, 12:05 AM
You don't need the opponent to be square with you to face his centerline. The centerline is there regardless of what facing, stance, or weight distribution he is using.

By using a sidestance, he limits the weapons and footwork he can use, the directions he can move, the type of body mechanics he can use to generate power, and he exposes his outside gate to you.

Dzu

Sharky
08-28-2001, 02:50 AM
yea, of course his centre line is there regardless, but i cant just attack it from that angle, as his "centre line" is the middle of his arm as he's standing side on (if you get me - hard to explain).

Watchman, i guess i just need to drill my footwork more to get more mobile, cos when i try, he just shifts slightly, and, annoyingly just keeps backing off! Like the lop sau idea to keep in contact with him and also to propell me round like you said. I'd like to get jiggy with some fancy footwork and involve some of the wingchun takedowns (ooh joy! :D )

Thanks for your advice fellas.

"Life's a b*tch, but God-forbid the b*tch divorce me; I'll be flooded with ice, so hellfire can't scorch me"

dzu
08-28-2001, 03:13 AM
You can attack his centerline from any angle. All actions that disrupt his balance pass through the centerline or are connected to it in someway. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean that you can't connect with it. When you use lop sau you are connecting with his center through his arm. Everything in WC attacks his center.

Dzu

rogue
08-28-2001, 03:41 AM
Listen to Watchman. One other thing, your friend is giving up two of his weapons by using a side stance.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

whippinghand
08-28-2001, 03:44 AM
Listen to dzu. He know's what he's talking about.

hunt1
08-28-2001, 03:52 AM
Nothing i like to see more that an opponant in a side stance.It is the best gift i can recieve in a fight.square stance much harder to deal with,he probably has a clue how to fight.

Sihing73
08-28-2001, 04:03 AM
Hello,

First off allow me to give credit to Sifu Chung Kwok Chow as this is based on his interpretation. :p

If your opponent faces you square on then he has given up his power to you. What I mean is this;

First of all he has lmited the weapons he can use against you. He can only reach you with one side of his body.

Secondly he has limited his ability to move without stepping.

It may be easier for me to get this across like this; Wing Chun is based on the triangle. There are several triangles formed in Wing Chun. One is found within the stance. Another is found in the center coming from your shoulders. It is this one that I am referring to here.

If you stand facing your opponent you could draw a line from each shoulder. Where the points come together in the center forms a triangle. This is your power base. You can strike with either hand and you are strongest here. If your opponent is facing you sidewise then his power base, according to the triangle, is facing away from you. He has given up his power to you and you will have the advantage.

While you could argue about the difficulty of striking him in his bicep that is hardly your only choice of targets. You could opt to apply a strike to the throat the knee or the head. You can apply a grab and further destroy his structure. You can use footwork to step around him. By facing him square on you increase your options, his facing you sideways decreases his.

Hope that makes sense.

Peace,

Dave

Sharky
08-28-2001, 02:42 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Altho, he has a GREAT right cross that he throws in a kinda panic when i close, or try to change angles. Caught me right on the chin the other day. Also means he can swing a good roundhouse - so i need to work on closing in really quickly - ie footwork. I just need more practice and i'll find out what works for me. I may call him up and have a play today, or tomorrow. :cool:

Thanks again guys

HuangKaiVun
08-28-2001, 02:56 PM
In our "Seng Men" (Monk Fist) style, we fight from that side horse stance.

For those folks that try to sidestep us, we have shuffles, cross-steps, and Bagua-style walking that allows us to move fluidly in all directions.

We keep our elbows low and powerful, and we attack with either front or lead hands. We defend against the sweep by being able to lift off the front leg.

The key to our side stance fighting is our handwork and mobility.

Budokan
08-28-2001, 05:11 PM
If he's weighted more on his back leg then his mobility should be down as well. Use that weakness as an attack point.

Also, if he's standing side-on then redirect your attacks from opposite sides (instead of linearly) to open up his defense.

K. Mark Hoover

NafAnal
08-28-2001, 07:17 PM
Some karate guys fight very side on, I find it more throwing when the guy faces me squared up... :)