PDA

View Full Version : Chinese weapons in combat: historical refs?

Gowgee
11-07-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm interested in historical references on injuries sustained/inflicted in both battle and individual combat in China. I've read similar stuff has been handled with regard to Japanese warfare (see this link (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=battlefield+group:fa.iaido&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=fa.iaido&selm=fa.g7rqvko.r3a6b4%40ifi.uio.no&rnum=3)), and I'm interested if anything similar Chinese studies exist. Actually, I'd like to take this a step further and find out if any forensic or anicdotal (sp?) details on what wounds/injuries were brought about by what weapons too. Does anyone have any leads, or references?

mickey
11-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Hello Gowgee,

I have never heard of anything like that for weapons; yet I have always thought that a lot of the medical advances,acupuncture (that includes dim shueh) and dit da, had strong input from injuries derived from combat and/or from the torture of prisoners.

I would suggest you explore the field of Chinese medicine if you do not get any leads from the direction that you are going.

mickey

Gowgee
01-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi Mickey,

Thanks for your suggestions re. my combat injuries question. I checked out two books so far on np, supposedly a form of emergency treatment on the battlefield, but have only been able to find fairly vague references with regard to injuries themselves. For example, while one work deals with treatment of bleeding, it doesn't detail common locations found cut (perhaps these details were just too common to mention at the time) and simply notes that in some cases the entire area surrounding the cut should simply be burnt with a hot iron to ensure the stop of bleeding.

If I can find out any specifics in future, I'll check in at the forum here again. Thanks for your suggestion :)

mickey
01-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Gosh,

Such a long time ago. Glad to be of help.

Thank you for the update!

mickey