PDA

View Full Version : Just starting...

FraterSkeptikos
11-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Greetings!
I started my first Shaolin Kung Fu training today and I thought you might help me with some doubts...
What is the best book for me to buy explaining the basics of Shaolin Kung Fu? Dr Yang´s books maybe...?
Is Shaolin Kung Fu an internal or external style? Do I need to practice qi gong (chi kung) to be a shaolin kung fu student?

Thank you in advance.

norther practitioner
11-08-2004, 03:24 PM
It depends. What type of Shaolin are you studying. Most of the basics are very similar, and I really like all of the book by Dr. Yang that I've read. Shaolin includes both internal and external, but is in essence usually external (with internal parts).

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

FraterSkeptikos
11-08-2004, 05:48 PM
As far as I know the most practised styles in my school are Long Fist, Praying Mantis, Snake, Eagle and Tong Bi Quan.
I´ll try to read some books as I don´t want to bother you with basic questions. Thank you for your help.

oasis
11-08-2004, 09:21 PM
There are various good books out there, and if you are seriously interested in trying to pick up some useful exercises to improve your foundation, stancework, and flexibility outside of class, you may want to check out Shou Yu Liang's book "Kung Fu Elements." You can even read many sample articles from the book here (http://www.shouyuliang.com/books/kungfu_elements.shtml)

There is alot of extra stuff on internal training that you most likely will not use in the back of the book (at least anytime soon), but the first part can be a useful adjunct to your home practice.

Good luck in your training, and always remember that if you seriously practice what you are learning at the school when you're at home, you most likely wont need any extra exercises (though books can serve as nice supplements or collectibles :) )

SaekSan
11-11-2004, 11:51 AM
There's a great book on basics called "Kung Fu Basics" it's written by Paul Eng.

Boa sorte!