PDA

View Full Version : I'll Trade Ya

Vash
11-08-2004, 05:46 PM
First, my college is the ****in' stuff.

I happen to know a few foreign students who happen to train in martial arts. One is an American born son of an Okinawan Shorinryu instructor, one is from mainland China who studies "a southern Crane style," and one was born in Taiwan. He studies Choy Lay Fut. We've all worked out together at some point on campus, and have shown a few forms between us. Well today, I'm talking to my CLF friend, and he says, "I'll trade ya."

"Trade what?"

"A form. You want the Drunken form, I have it. I want a karate kata."

"Sounds good."

Or something to that effect. Anyway, we start tomorrow on trading sets. I start on the CLF Drunken form (I have a tape of it, actually. But live instruction seems a bit better), he starts Kusanku.

Spiffy.

SPJ
11-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Good starts;

You guys will be friends or close buddies for years to come.

Niiiiice.!

:)

Vash
11-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Indeed. I just wish we had more opportunities outside of the college realm to hang out; I miss having normal friendships.

oasis
11-08-2004, 09:27 PM
but watch out, next thing you know you will both be saying, " let's trade schools :p

let us know how you both adapt to the other's styles, in particular how easy you do the other's stances. one of my classmates has a karate (shorin-ryu i think) background, and a prospective karate student came one day, and they were discussing their karate forms, so when my friend demonstrated, the other commented that he could see the 'chinese flavor' in his horse stance when he was doing a blackbelt level karate form.

EarthDragon
11-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Very cool , and a great opportunity for you. actually most styles have evolved based on extactly what you are going to do. Use the time to learn as much as you can and think of high level questions you want answered. Forms can be learned form many sources but its rare to get high level information from a certian style unless they person is willing to share. have fun vash

Serpent
11-09-2004, 04:07 PM
And don't forget the little details. Make sure to learn all the applications in the form so that you can understand the basics of the system.

red5angel
11-09-2004, 04:12 PM
actually most styles have evolved based on extactly what you are going to do.

I thought most styles were developed watching bugs.....

Nice Vash, always take an oppurtunity like that.

tug
11-09-2004, 04:15 PM
The sun shines on Vash-san.

IronFist
11-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Good deal.

Let us know how it goes.

Vash
11-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Well, we went through the first four or five movements in the form. And let me say, ****.

The lack of flexibility in my hips is ****ing astounding. I can muddle my way through what I have, but the twisting is ****ing killer. It's going to take me a while to get it down.

My friend on the other hand is now doing the first few movements of Kusanku better than I can.

As far as applications, we go over some basic applications we've been taught, then kinda throw stuff out and see what works.

Looks like it's gonna be fun.

Serpent
11-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Vash
The lack of flexibility in my hips is ****ing astounding. I can muddle my way through what I have, but the twisting is ****ing killer. It's going to take me a while to get it down.

My friend on the other hand is now doing the first few movements of Kusanku better than I can.

Proof that CMA is better than JMA!

:p
;)

Becca
11-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Harder on the hips, any way. That was/is my memisis, as well. I finally got the flexability, but still need to work on strength in the hip flexors.:(

Vash
11-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Proof that CMA is better than JMA!

;)

I'd hafta agree . . . since I do an Okinawan martial art, as opposed to a Japanese one ;)

Serpent
11-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Becca
Harder on the hips, any way. That was/is my memisis, as well. I finally got the flexability, but still need to work on strength in the hip flexors.:(
Do you mean nemesis?

Serpent
11-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Vash
I'd hafta agree . . . since I do an Okinawan martial art, as opposed to a Japanese one ;)
Same thing, isn't it?

:eek:

;)

Vash
11-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Same thing, isn't it?

;)

Depends on who you ask. The one Okinawan (Okinawan-American, whichever) I know says "uh uh."

Becca
11-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Do you mean nemesis?
PPTHHHHHH! I can mis-spell anything I want to.:mad: :p

Serpent
11-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Oooh! Ghost of bl rises again!

;)

Judge Pen
11-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Lucky fellow. My CLF connection started in SD so I've got nothing to trade him!

Ok, some of you would argue that I've got nothing to trade anyway.