PDA

View Full Version : Closing the distance and attacking

FngSaiYuk
11-08-2004, 06:30 PM
OK, so the vast majority of the techniques that I feel comfy using are defensive techniques - ala countering incoming attacks and baiting to incite a commited attack.

What do you guys use to close distance and attack with? I'm not asking about blind rushes or anything, but rather combo techniques that you'd use after feeling out your opponent (let's not get into those 'realistic street fight' type things - let's assume sparring, dueling, etc. where you have an opponent that's also 'ready' to fight).

Mr Punch
11-08-2004, 07:16 PM
What do you mean by 'after feeling out your opponent'?

To me feeling out my opponent is while closing in and attacking.

And it depends on his stance and mobility etc, but I like kicks to the legs, a leading left, or a double leg shoot to close distance.

SPJ
11-08-2004, 07:57 PM
There are many ways.

I will list some.

1) In Tong Bei, you fake a throw palm (Shuai Zhang) to the nose, to invite an block, then start your real move.

It is called a lead hand. Ying Sou Zhang. You have to do it slowly to lead the opponent to a certain move and position.

Your normal Shuai Zhang is actually fast like a thunder. (Si Za Lei)

Shuai Zhang Si Za Lei.

2) In Ba Ji;

Inside: (Li Men)

The opponent punches high or mid, you move inside and one inch closer to the opponent. You use elbow and forearm to Gua high punches, or palm to deflect mid punches lower or to the side and thus not reaching you. You use your side to face the opponent and punch or elbow with the other hand.

Outside: (Wai Men)

You may use both forearms to deflect the opponent's punching arm downward, you then move forward and push his chest to make him fall. This is called Iron Door Fan. (Tei Men San)

Low then high.

You move your foot forward in a half squatting stance (Pu Bu), you hook or push the opponent's knee. The opponent will move back, you change to the bow stance (Gong Bu) with your punches to the abdomen or chest, or push his chin depends on his distance. Such as black tiger jumping up (Hei Fu Ti), push upward to the heaven (Tong Tian Ding). Man classics!!!

3) Mantis;

Gou Luo Cai Gua, You hook (diau) the opponent's forearm, the other hand grab the upper arm, you punch with first hand now free. 1-2-3. repeat the same if the opponent's other arm punches you, too. Just reverse left hand first to right hand first and vice versa.

MAN, CLASSICS!!!

:D

Becca
11-09-2004, 02:11 AM
I'm pretty short (5'1") so I like to get'em to block high with a few jabs then open'em up with a mid high kick so's I can go after exposed kidneys. Works well on most tall people, anyway. For shorties like me, I attack thier strong side in a rythm, then when they've got my "pattern" I attack with the side kick and elbow thrust I've been careful to set up each time.;)

Becca
11-09-2004, 03:39 AM
We go a longer reach though can target you before you get close. Not only am i tall, my arms are one inch longer than average for my height.
Not if you ain't quick...;) trying to get me before I get in under a tall person's guard has been likened to trying to catch a vindictive greased pig before it bites your ankle.:D :D
Or maybe i could just fight you on my knees. And knees don't go sideways... I have found it to be very unwise to go strait in, especially if I'm trying to get under someone's guard. The oblique is much better to attach from as well as to ecsape a clever trap from.

Kaitain(UK)
11-09-2004, 05:06 AM
I always enter with a jab - I throw it and aim to land it. I usually have a rear-leg round kick in mind if they back away from the jab. All I'm interested in is getting to contact. After that it's a case of letting the body do what it wants to in response to the situation at hand.

WRT short people I try to pick them off at distance with lead hand techniques, I dont throw the rear hand until they close. An overhand is nice for that as it naturally folds into elbow strike/shoulder press should they evade it. Again it's case of doing what comes out. Hard to protect one's chin against someone significantly shorter.

Becca
11-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by wolfen

Okay now i know what you rely on i'll be prepared for you. :)
Never said that's all I do, just what I tend to lead off with...;) And how are you going to go sideways on your knees??? Wouldn't that be like trying to polka on your knees?:D

Ray Pina
11-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Ideally I use a low kick, more to shield my groin (knee in) and to cancel out any kick you may be doing. I use my lead hand to attack knowing you'll block it ..... I then attack with my back hand taking a line up my center, but keeping it semi-vertical from elbow to wrist to shield me .... I want you to block this one too..... then hit with the firt hand that was not withdraw ...... chi sau from there.

Water Dragon
11-09-2004, 07:32 AM
jab or teep

norther practitioner
11-09-2004, 07:43 AM
low kick or jab.

EarthDragon
11-09-2004, 08:24 AM
to close the distance in mantis we have a saying ........
close the enemy using the long hand, then destroy the enemy using the short hand.
To do this once we make contact, as in a block or redirect we try to close the center line and attack low.
This makes our opponent react and thus allows us to attack high while either collasping and trapping , or slight shift in step to enter our opponents space while destroying thier center, causing them to become unbalanced.

These key points are important to understand when executing an attack. So many times when students close the distance they forget what to do when they get in, and if hesitation is even a split second it allows thier opponent to react and regain space and balance.
It does not do any good to close distance get in and not be able to capitalize and defeat them when in this position. And as I said once you start the motion there can be no stopping other wise they can regain what you have taken from them.

Dark Knight
11-09-2004, 10:51 AM
I have been in for a little over 25 years and fought tons of people of all abilities. My best lessons were when I had my a$$ kicked. (Was not much fun)

I dont do much defense. When I close the distance I look for a front leg sweep to upset the balance (A cross over roundhouse to the achilles tendon area)

The with my lead hand grap their arm or shoulderm of the lead arm, pull them off balance as I am arriving and start pounding with the free hand. the centerline is crossed and they have very little for weapons to use against you.

As they try to react I pull them in different directions to kee upsetting the balance.

Hold on to them and kick and punch fast and hard to appropriate targets. (At this time targets are abundant) because the centerline is crossed and you have control of the balance, their back is open to many attackes such as a nice double hook punch to kidneys then head.

Finally grab them for a takedown and finish them off by ground and pound or a solid lock for submission or break.

Works well, feel free to try it. :)

ShaolinTiger00
11-09-2004, 11:39 AM
My opinion..

If I want to close the gap then I want it to be have a conclusion. To many traditional students say “close the gap” and then give you techniques but they never tell you the conclusion because 1. – they assume you’ll knock out the guy 1. they don’t really have a strategy deeper than “hit him until he falls down .boom” and to be assured there is no contingency.

If I’m trying to close a gap then I want to end the gap with a dominant clinch or a takedown, where I may continue to fight from a more advantageous position.

An EXCELLENT way to do this is to blast a guy with straight left & rights. It’s hard to express in words but the pressure of this is so great that he will have no choice but to protect his head and try to spin away. ( just ask forum members Sun Tzu & Khun Kao, who are very skilled how this feels when a very aggressive fighter is bombing you!) This can almost always guarantee a clinch esp on someone who does not train for it.

The more I train with skilled MMA fighters, the more I think the “jab” from a conventional orthodox stance is not a good striking option. If a guy throws a jab at me and he’s not squared up, I am shooting hard right thru him without stopping. Maybe it grazes me, but it will not stop me and then he’s in trouble. Now alter your stance, and throw a left straight. Now you’ve got something with some ko power and a better opportunity for a sprawl. I think that if two people are trying to keep a fight at the striking range than the jab has it’s place (measuring, setup etc..)

Water Dragon
11-09-2004, 11:43 AM
We don't throw the jab like a boxer would at my gym. It's more of a lead hand straight. Our jab almost always comes with a step and we train to do damage with it.

I don't know if this what you're referring to, but that type of jabbing works very well for us in Vale Tudo.

ShaolinTiger00
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
WD the left straight is thrown out with power! facillitated by a twisting of the trunk and the squarer stance.

*edit* lmao @ your signature! I can't believe I gave sc some credit.. now I'll never live it down.

Water Dragon
11-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Viva Chinese Aikido

Water Dragon
11-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
WD the left straight is thrown out with power! facillitated by a twisting of the trunk and the squarer stance.

*edit* I'm a llama

Yeah, that's what we do. We just call it a jab *shrug*

ShaolinTiger00
11-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Viva Chinese Aikido

What we didn't hear:

*5 minutes after the match*

Guy1: "Hey man.. good job. You've got good judo!"

Guy2: "Thanks bro.. whew! It's kinda odd without the jackets huh?"

Guy1: "Yeah, no doubt.. Did you check out the ref? What's up with the ****sexual bullfighter costume?"

Guy2: "Definately wild.. Hey we've got to enter more of these Shuai Chiao tournaments, we're kicking ass!"