PDA

View Full Version : Is the Top Gun soundtrack the best album ever?

IronFist
11-08-2004, 06:37 PM
I was just wondering...

This guy thinks so (http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AZT44LX52F7U6/ref=cm_cr_auth/002-1939723-1751225?).

Chang Style Novice
11-08-2004, 06:37 PM
It's got a strong shot at worst...

Mr Punch
11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
I bet that ****ing pond life voted George.

:D

Mr Punch
11-08-2004, 06:53 PM
In fact I can just see George dressing in his air combat ace uniform like when he went to that aircraft carrier, cranking up the walkman strapped to the inside of his thigh like they do in Iron Eagle, and high-fiving his Little George to the tune of 'Take My Breath Away' dancing on a map of Fallujah.

I wish I couldn't... :(

Chang Style Novice
11-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I love that he gives a five star review to a three pack of Cotton Socks. I now presume that the whole persona is a joke.

oasis
11-08-2004, 09:36 PM
best part was when he got pumped to join the air force after watching the top gun dvd:

Then he (the recruiter) said something like, "Well you're a little old to be a new recruit and also you don't get to go straight to the Top Gun Academy. It's only reserved for the best pilots."

I countered with, "Oh yeah, like Maverick who got his buddy Goose killed because of his crazy in-the-sky antics? I'd be a hundred times better than him. I could keep my butt above the hard deck."

Then I stormed out and went back to filing crap at my stupid job.

Serpent
11-08-2004, 09:48 PM
I remember one time I had this huge account proposal due in like thirty minutes and I was way behind so I popped in my Top Gun tape on the walkman that I strap to my leg (like the main guy from Iron Eagle. I hit my ears with a little Playing With The Boys to get in that mood where everything's fun and to visualize myself giving myself a bunch of high fives. Then I hit my ears with some Dangerzone to get properly pumped up. Then I finished it off with the Top Gun theme to make myself realize that this was a serious proposal that had to be written.

I ended up listening to the rest of the tape, too and not even remembering the proposal - almost got fired as a result, but that was like two years ago so I think they've kind of forgotten about it. But the point is the ****ed soundtrack is so good I almost lost my job over it.

Pure gold!

SevenStar
11-08-2004, 09:58 PM
The top gun soundtrack rocks...

diego
11-08-2004, 10:02 PM
into the dangerzone that's my life and my song" qoute Method Man:)

i actually liked the tunes in the movie...never actually heard the album tho

LOST BOYS was a pretty good soundtrack tho!!!....if you into that whole cheesy 80's...strap my walkman to my leg lmao...kid sounds like ego with his star war toys trying to front like a martial artist...

scotty1
11-09-2004, 02:06 AM
The Top Gun soundtrack was the first album I ever owned, and I played it to death. :D

Ah, Dangerzone...

Mr Punch
11-09-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by scotty1
The Top Gun soundtrack was the first album I ever owned, and I played it to death. :D

Ah, Dangerzone... LOL! 'Played it to death'... that would take about one time :D !!! But good idea for an OT thread!;)

SevenStar
11-09-2004, 02:23 AM
First, you've got realize that to be both Kickass and Badass, something has to be very unique. There are several things that are Kickass and several that are Badass, but only a few that are both.

Things that are both Kickass and Badass Simultaneously:
1. Top Gun
2. Top Gun the book version
3. My Top Gun Military Style Ballcap
4. Jean Claude Van Damme
5. This guy in sales named Gary Everson's Midnight Blue Camero
6. Ladies who aren't afraid to go after it
7. At least a basic understanding of how robots are seriously gonna change things in our lifetime
8. New Entry - Red Dawn "

ROFL, I like this guy.

tug
11-09-2004, 12:53 PM
I hate to admit it, but I too was fooled into actually buying the soundtrack. And to make myself look even more foolish, I bought the Rain Man soundtrack at the same time.

Yeesh, glad those days are over.

red5angel
11-09-2004, 01:08 PM
what's even funnier is I'm willing to bet that just about everyone who gets on this thread expressing their hatred for the Top Gun soundtrack probably owned it and listened to it until the sound quality was horrible........

Chang Style Novice
11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Nope, I just heard "Right Into the Dangerzone" and "Take My Breath Away" about umpty-gazillion times each on the radio.

Man, what a lousy time for music. "We Built This City On Rock n Roll" was a #1 hit!

tug
11-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Man, we really did NOT know what we were doing back then.

Although, Van Halen, KISS, and the Crue did!

norther practitioner
11-09-2004, 01:51 PM
no... plain and simply, no.

tug
11-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Yeah, you're probably right.

diego
11-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Nope, I just heard "Right Into the Dangerzone" and "Take My Breath Away" about umpty-gazillion times each on the radio.

Man, what a lousy time for music. "We Built This City On Rock n Roll" was a #1 hit!

thank god for rap music:)...tho i do love the 80's and say one more bad thing about starship and i will punch your nose...remember when that video came out and it was on the mannequin movie i beleive....loved that ****...tho i was like 7:p

neil young when asked what he thinks about rap said...man those hippies are crazy hating on rap...it's the only thing keeping the music real

guess neil didn't like the whole cheesy 80's shtick TURNS UP ROCK ME AMADAEUS REAL LOUD

Shaolinlueb
11-09-2004, 10:21 PM
no, the sound track sucked and so did the movie.

unixfudotnet
11-10-2004, 07:11 AM
I liked the movie and soundtrack when it came out. I also first saw the movie while on a C5 heading to Germany.

I have heard the songs and seen the movie a couple times since then, and really have no desire to see or hear them again. Yet, at the time, I like it, as did a ton of other people.

Most the music sucks now-a-days anyways too. Little to no live music skill, no innovation. Most is just cookie cutter whatever sells right now music.

Some interesting music I am listening to right now is various songs by Fairuz and the "The Last Temptation of Christ" soundtrack (music is by Peter Gabriel and I never saw the movie).

diego
11-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by unixfudotnet
I liked the movie and soundtrack when it came out. I also first saw the movie while on a C5 heading to Germany.

I have heard the songs and seen the movie a couple times since then, and really have no desire to see or hear them again. Yet, at the time, I like it, as did a ton of other people.

Most the music sucks now-a-days anyways too. Little to no live music skill, no innovation. Most is just cookie cutter whatever sells right now music.

Some interesting music I am listening to right now is various songs by Fairuz and the "The Last Temptation of Christ" soundtrack (music is by Peter Gabriel and I never saw the movie). i agree with most the music sucks nowadays!.

David Jamieson
11-10-2004, 09:43 PM
hey, 80's scene and music is fugged up ice cold for shoor.

but at least they had production values which is more than can be said for all those dope smoking sandal wearing hippy folksters from the 60s who would let any weirdo with a ukelele and a song cut an album.

70's was pure disco, and guys with the 50's thing are old men who can now afford the car they wanted when they were 17.

I have no idea what will become of teh world when the nineties becomes retro. But I'll be sure to change the channel when the opportunity presents itself.

Serpent
11-10-2004, 11:06 PM
You are officially old the day you mutter the words, "All music nowadays is crap!" or anything similar.

Go sit on the porch and suck lemons through your false teeth, ya hasbeens.

unixfudotnet
11-11-2004, 06:33 AM
26 is old? and here I am hoping not to go bald before i hit 30 :(

;)

Newb
11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
The producer for my girlfriends band is also the head engineer of the Top Gun Soundtrack, I saw the gold record in his studio. He's at
www.jungleroom.net

IronFist
11-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
You are officially old the day you mutter the words, "All music nowadays is crap!" or anything similar.

Go sit on the porch and suck lemons through your false teeth, ya hasbeens.

No, it really is crap now. The "rock" scene is made up of suck ass bands who learn 3 or 4 power chords and then get signed to some suck ass label. The skills of composition and music theory have all but been forgotten (in the mainstream, at least). There's something wrong with music when a beginning guitar student can take a few lessons and then play every song he hears on the radio.

Of course, there are still bands keeping music alive, like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Sonata Arctica, Rush, etc. But they're not mainstream so no one even knows about them.

Newb
11-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
No, it really is crap now. The "rock" scene is made up of suck ass bands who learn 3 or 4 power chords and then get signed to some suck ass label. The skills of composition and music theory have all but been forgotten (in the mainstream, at least). There's something wrong with music when a beginning guitar student can take a few lessons and then play every song he hears on the radio.

Of course, there are still bands keeping music alive, like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Sonata Arctica, Rush, etc. But they're not mainstream so no one even knows about them.

I'm producing a unique Rock band in LA. Check out one of their songs:
http://www.chamberband.com/music/Synes128.mp3

Chang Style Novice
11-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Sometimes chops get in the way of music. I don't know all the bands you mention, Iron Fist, but Dream Theater and Rush both suck a lotta ass.

There's nothing wrong with chops per se (try a current fave of mine, Hella, to see that I'm not just a punk rock one-chord fetishist, also keep in mind I listen to a lot of jazz where virtuosity is an absolute requirement) but sometimes simplicity is a better solution.

Which isn't to say that the radio doesn't suck a lotta ass, too. It definitely does.

Serpent
11-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
(in the mainstream, at least)
Herein lies your problem. You are also old when you rely on the mainstream for your music. ;)