PDA

View Full Version : ring on the right hand... huh 4th finger - means what?

MoreMisfortune
11-09-2004, 08:33 AM
question:

what does it mean when a woman (of the female kind) has a ring on her 4th finger (i forgot how it is called, the one between the pinky and the middle finger) of her right hand??
that is, if its supposed ot mean some
cos i know there is supposed some stardard, right? like if a chick is married or commited or what i think i heard somehwere that the ring goes on a speciffic finger some.
and what if its on the left hand?
and what if she got on both hands?

Kristoffer
11-09-2004, 08:36 AM
it means she likes rings

MoreMisfortune
11-09-2004, 08:37 AM
neat :D

MoreMisfortune
11-09-2004, 08:40 AM
ah ok dude i foudn info on some site

on the left means: married
on the right means: engaged

edit: or otherwise, the data confuse me

MasterKiller
11-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Left hand is the "married" finger.

Right hand is the "I'm divorced but didn't give the ring back" finger.

MoreMisfortune
11-09-2004, 08:51 AM
MK, i think shed be too young to be divorced already... i think
i could have confused hands anyway... but she could also be to young to be married too... hmm....

hey! question:
when a gril is not married or engaged does that mean she only wears rings on the other fingers (not on the 4th)??

MasterKiller
11-09-2004, 09:04 AM
A diamond ring on the left ring finger (fourth finger) is usually an engagement ring. If she also has a solid band ring on that same finger, it means she is married, generally speaking. Some women only wear the band because they didn't get an engagment ring.

The rest of her fingers are not assigned roles, per se. Of course, different countries have different customs.

David Jamieson
11-09-2004, 09:21 AM
the left hand 3rd finger is usually for engagement ring or wedding band or both. (i usually think of it in the terms of index=1 middle=2 ring=3 pinky=4 and thumb)

the opposite hand is where one would wear a friendship ring or a high school ring or college ring, though some wear these on the left as well. Championship rings may be worn where ever.

because the left hand is closer to the heart the marriage and engagement rings are worn on it instead of the right hand.

pinky rings are for brotherhoods and memberships and you don't see a lot of these on women barring goth girls. :p These usually carry a symbol. Sometimes they are a simple monogram.

rings in and of themselves symbolically represent binding, continuance and connectedness.

Kristoffer
11-09-2004, 10:05 AM
rings can be taken off, that's all I'm saying

red5angel
11-09-2004, 10:17 AM
if it's a claddagh:

"Worn on the right hand, with crown and heart facing out, the ring tells that the wearer's heart is yet to be won.
While under love's spell it is worn with heart and crown facing inwards.
Wearing the ring on the left hand, with the crown and heart facing inwards, signifies that your love has been requited.

The hands are there for friendship, the heart is there for love. For loyalty throughout the year, the crown is raised above.

"in friendship: on the right hand, with the point of the heart towards the fingertip. engagement: on the right hand, with heart pointing to the wrist. marriage: on the left hand, with heart pointing to the wrist. Claddagh rings are used as wedding rings especially in Connacht." GreenSpeak

The hands are there for friendship, the heart is there for love. For loyalty throughout the year, the crown is raised above.
"

norther practitioner
11-09-2004, 10:20 AM
red, that was lame... even for you..

not so much fortune for you:

From what I've gathered over the last few years, the ring placed there just means that it will hurt a lot more when she punches the shiz out of you.

red5angel
11-09-2004, 11:01 AM
red, that was lame... even for you..

:confused:

I odn't get it? I just posted a couple of paragraphs on the claddagh. I odn't know if they are popular in brazil but they have been growing in popularity here in the states for a couple of years. It's the only sort of ring I can think of that you wear on your right hand that means anything.

GLW
11-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Western tradition:

The engagement ring goes on the left hand, 4th finger. The idea is that the heart is on the left side (if only slightly) of the body so the ring finger is connected to the heart.

When married, the wedding ring goes on the 4th finger, left hand first. Then is typically followed by the engagement ring (unless the wedding ring is a set of ring guards that go on either side of the engagement ring (a modern thing that shows off the engagement ring's diamond) or if the engagement ring is too large, it might not be worn at all.

Now, if a woman is wearing an engagement type or wedding ring type of ring on the 4th finger left hand, it may mean nothing. It could be a family heirloom...like a mother's ring or grandmother's.

However, a number of women I know use it to get rid of jerks in clubs. If they are bothered by a guy or think they may be, they quietly take the ring from the right hand and move it to the left...and Voila!...instant engagement or marriage ...at least until the a$$hole leaves....

MoreMisfortune
11-09-2004, 01:29 PM
keeps the @sshole away :(

Ming Yue
11-09-2004, 02:45 PM
band on left = married

band plus diamond/gemstone on left = married

diamond/gemstone on right = engaged

diamond/gemstone on both = you can't afford to date her.

MoreMisfortune
11-09-2004, 03:06 PM
oh btw, ive no idea what a claddagh is.

ive never seen a real diamond i think... maybe on a store or some...
people dont wear diamonds here, its expensive and kinda not safe i suppose
well at least at the places i go to and live at

i know this chick that wears gold on the ears the fingers and also a necklace, expensive clothes and has a car
come ot think of it i dont think she ever rides a bus or walks the streets
id steal from her myself

red5angel
11-09-2004, 03:10 PM
http://www.claddagh.com/

joedoe
11-09-2004, 03:32 PM
I have been told that in some Orthodox churches (Greek, Russian, Coptic etc.) the wedding ring is actually worn on the 4th finger on the right hand.

Serpent
11-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Yep, and a lot of east European cultures. Polish, for example, wear their engagement and wedding rings on the right hand.

Xebby - Just ask the girl if she wants a drink. If she says, "No thanks I'm married" then you've solved the problem. If she says, "Yes, thanks!" you may finally score.

If she says, "Sure, I'll have a lager" then she might be a bloke, so proceed carefully.

MoreMisfortune
11-09-2004, 05:08 PM
lol :D
man thats tough cos trannies here getting more and more advanced, each day is harder to tell the diference.

man, they dont sell alcohol at uni, its against the law :o
its a cute tall chick i been checkin out at uni, thats all and i happen to notice she got a ring and since shes very beautiful , so i thought beautiful + ring = x
what is x?
she is quiet and hangs out mostly on her own, like me when my peeps aint around. I only know of 3 chicks that hang out with her when thye got classes together. Bout one year ago this dude was like "Dude... sit next to her on the class man..." I was "Nah.. i think no..." he was like "Man, just sit next to her you know what im saying bling bling just like yeah, yeah, know what i mean... take easy..."
But no

Serpent
11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
But no
And this is why you don't gets the wimmins.

Ming Yue
11-09-2004, 06:56 PM
really Xebby. Try it.

Just at least make eye contact and smile at her. You can find out if she's interested, just by how she responds to that...

currently you got nothin', right? so the worst thing that can happen is you end up where you started.

....ok well the worst thing actually would be that when you go to sit down next to her your chair breaks and you're impaled on one of the legs, but the chances of that happening are really small.

Toby
11-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Ming Yue
....ok well the worst thing actually would be that when you go to sit down next to her your chair breaks and you're impaled on one of the legs, but the chances of that happening are really small. **** you, Ming! I was eating one of my dry protein biccies when I read that and I swear I almost choked! :D

Go for it Xebs. She can only say no, and then you're only back where you started so no loss.

Ming Yue
11-09-2004, 07:06 PM
oh please, I read that recipe, it's a wonder you haven't choked already. :p :D I hope your wife has brushed up on her Heimlich Maneuver.

Toby
11-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Heimlich isn't taught in Oz. And I'm at uni, in my office, alone - you could've killed me :D.

Serpent
11-09-2004, 07:13 PM
....ok well the worst thing actually would be that when you go to sit down next to her your chair breaks and you're impaled on one of the legs, but the chances of that happening are really small.
To be fair, being Xebby, the worst thing that could happen is that he finally gets the courage up to go over to her and she's all accommodating and stuff and when he gets her home she turns out to be a He after all. ;)

Then, when he sits down at home in abject grief, the chair breaks and he's impaled on one of the legs.

:)

Ming Yue
11-09-2004, 07:15 PM
I can't possibly protect you by being any less charming and funny, so I suggest you chew carefully from here on out.

:D

Serpent
11-09-2004, 07:17 PM
I can't possibly be any less charming and funny, so I suggest you chew carefully from here on out.

:D
The funny thing is, I really do visualise you as a human version of your avatar. That makes you really cute, but a bit weird and dangerous too.

Ming Yue
11-09-2004, 07:20 PM
actually, limes are too small, I use cantaloupe helmets.

Serpent
11-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Well, naturally!

Cody
11-09-2004, 08:56 PM
I knew there was a practical reason for wedding and engagement rings on right ring finger. Finally, it came to me.

Violinists, violists, do this because rings on the left hand would interfere with finger contact on strings and yield undesirable clicking noises.
A clue: often these string players will have a mark under left jaw bone, where instrument rests.

Cody

ShaolinTiger00
11-09-2004, 09:00 PM
In some places in Europe they wear their wedding bands on their right hand.

oh yeah and married gay people also wear the ring on the right hand.

MasterKiller
11-10-2004, 07:32 AM
KFM is don't ask, don't tell, ST00.

ShaolinTiger00
11-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
KFM is don't ask, don't tell, ST00.

I hope my wife doesn't find out. :o

*edit* apparently imagestation doesn't let you link

MasterKiller
11-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Your link didn't work, anyway.

Oso
11-10-2004, 12:17 PM
The funny thing is, I really do visualise you as a human version of your avatar. That makes you really cute, but a bit weird and dangerous too.

yep

Ming Yue
11-10-2004, 01:27 PM
when you're right, you're right.

:o

Newb
11-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Message when when your question get to 'is it morally wrong to seduce and have my way with a young lady who is married'?

Newb
11-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Toby
**** you, Ming! I was eating one of my dry protein biccies when I read that and I swear I almost choked! :D

Go for it Xebs. She can only say no, and then you're only back where you started so no loss.

But what if she vomits all over him in disgust?

Becca
11-11-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
A diamond ring on the left ring finger (fourth finger) is usually an engagement ring. If she also has a solid band ring on that same finger, it means she is married, generally speaking. Some women only wear the band because they didn't get an engagment ring.

The rest of her fingers are not assigned roles, per se. Of course, different countries have different customs.
Right hand can also mean a promise ring or friendship ring, especially if it looks like an engagement ring.

MoreMisfortune
11-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find that ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Serpent
11-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Stop listening to Pink Floyd and get your arse outside and meet some girls.

diego
11-15-2004, 09:59 PM
keeps the @sshole away :( lmao

didn't know it was cuz the ring is close to the heart, learn something new and alot of shiat everyday.werd

MoreMisfortune
11-16-2004, 09:36 AM
in the morning i was so angry i feel like castrating myself and comit collective suicide
then now i ate a lot of chocolate and drak beer
i feel ok

Serpent
11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
How could you commit collective suicide alone?

Toby
11-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Maybe Xebby, Volcano and MoreMisfortune were all going to top themselves at once :confused:.

Serpent
11-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Ah, yes. Of course.

Mr Punch
11-17-2004, 12:04 AM
So she's a gay left-handed married violinist?

Think about it.

;)

MoreMisfortune
11-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Maybe Xebby, Volcano and MoreMisfortune were all going to top themselves at once :confused:.

Exactly :cool:

MoreMisfortune
11-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Mat
So she's a gay left-handed married violinist?

Think about it.

;)

i try not to think about it cos it gets me even more excited

like... 2 days ago... we were at the class... with the microscopes looking stuff, me and this female friend
so the ring chick sit to my left (like... 4th time she does this this semester - yeah i counted so what whats wrong with dat).
so my friend leaves cos shes done looking the stuff. im trying to figure out somethign about the "C" cells... and im going nowhere... shes lookin her stuff... i dont know if she knows the stuff or not... maybe i should ask, right? huh... no
this time we had already recieved our resulsts from our tests so i saw she looked over at mine i had near my microscope (it was 1,95 out 2 score - yeah xebby is smarter than you people think)
i thought "hey maybe i can ask her about: grades - them "C" cells - i can play dumb and go ahead and ask about stuff i already know - i can ask to have a look at her tattoo on her hand - i can..."
then i didnt
and i got ****ed off that i didnt
so i just stood up ****ed off without still learning aobut em C cells
and left
****ed off
just ****ed off

Toby
11-17-2004, 07:35 PM
I don't have quite so much sympathy for your problems after you started that other thread Xebs. In fact, it would be best for the girl if you didn't talk to her.

joedoe
11-17-2004, 07:36 PM
i try not to think about it cos it gets me even more excited

like... 2 days ago... we were at the class... with the microscopes looking stuff, me and this female friend
so the ring chick sit to my left (like... 4th time she does this this semester - yeah i counted so what whats wrong with dat).
so my friend leaves cos shes done looking the stuff. im trying to figure out somethign about the "C" cells... and im going nowhere... shes lookin her stuff... i dont know if she knows the stuff or not... maybe i should ask, right? huh... no
this time we had already recieved our resulsts from our tests so i saw she looked over at mine i had near my microscope (it was 1,95 out 2 score - yeah xebby is smarter than you people think)
i thought "hey maybe i can ask her about: grades - them "C" cells - i can play dumb and go ahead and ask about stuff i already know - i can ask to have a look at her tattoo on her hand - i can..."
then i didnt
and i got ****ed off that i didnt
so i just stood up ****ed off without still learning aobut em C cells
and left
****ed off
just ****ed off

So Xebby, if you are married to your right hand does that mean you have to wear your ring on the left hand? :D

MoreMisfortune
12-01-2004, 06:53 PM
man...
i dont know :eek: :eek:

the top care you must take to avoid being stalked by a pervert boy who is ***** for you is DO NOT SIGN UP TO ONLINE COMMUNITIES
its very bad cos then its very easy for him to stalk you from now on
nice tough pitbull you got there lady, you have lousy music taste though (but i can ignore that), its ok that you live with your parents (come to my place) and its also no prob that you "hate slow people" (im quite the fast!!). Oh yeah, she is single afterall.
could you please now fullfil the rest of your profile, i happen to notice you havent answered half of the questions, thanx in advance

nobody escapes from me on online land

OWN3D
girl is OWN3D