PDA

View Full Version : Some concerns about lineage.

phantom
11-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Let's consider two scenarios. First, if you are thinking about studying under a certain instructor, would it be a good idea to ask other instructors in the same lineage what he is like? I find it hard to believe that they would say something bad about their training brother. I suspect that it also may make you seem disrespectful. In the second scenario, say that you studied under an instructor for some time, yet you decide that he is not a good teacher for you, so you leave. You then consider studying under another instructor who is of the same lineage as the one you left. I would think that you would have to mention that you have experience in that same style, for the instructor will notice that you already know some of it, and he might not like it that you withheld that information from him. You should also mention who you learned it from, for some instructors will not teach someone who is a liar. But, if that instructor asks you why you left the first instructor, and you do not feel comfortable telling him the reason, what should you say to him? Thanks in advance.

ShaolinTiger00
11-09-2004, 01:48 PM
What question is more important to you?

Who taught you?

or

Have you ever trained a fighter who has won a major event?

phantom
11-09-2004, 01:58 PM
They are both important, but the second one probably more so. I have not trained any fighters.

tug
11-09-2004, 02:03 PM
In any case, I would tend to think the new teacher would be more than happy and maybe even feel a little proud to be chosen after less than desired results with the old teacher, no?

red5angel
11-09-2004, 04:25 PM
It's always important to do your research. See what you can find out about the guy, his school, his lineage, whatever. Then go to his class, and see if you like it.

MonkeySlap Too
11-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Neither question is a conclusive proof of ability to teach 'martial' skills out of context.

Becca
11-10-2004, 04:14 AM
But, if that instructor asks you why you left the first instructor, and you do not feel comfortable telling him the reason, what should you say to him? Thanks in advance.
Tell the truth, even if you feel a bit uncomfortable. You'll feel much worse if they figure it out down the line. It may start out as a little white lie, but will end up being a very real disrespect to both student and instructor. It will also give the new instructor a good idea of the type of training you are after and he will be able to tell you if he can provide it.

would it be a good idea to ask other instructors in the same lineage what he is like?
Not exactly bad, but you might not like what they have to say, and most I know would try to talk you into studying under them instead. But it's not usually considered disrespect to simply seek knowledge.

SevenStar
11-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by phantom
I would think that you would have to mention that you have experience in that same style, for the instructor will notice that you already know some of it, and he might not like it that you withheld that information from him. You should also mention who you learned it from, for some instructors will not teach someone who is a liar.

should it matter? you emptied your cup and want to learn the system the way he does it. I wouldn't think anyone would get upset about that...

But, if that instructor asks you why you left the first instructor, and you do not feel comfortable telling him the reason, what should you say to him? Thanks in advance.

just be honest.

Ray Pina
11-11-2004, 06:35 AM
They pretty much want your money. When was the last time you saw a teacher reject a student up front? They'll at least take your first month tuition, then kick you out if you're an a-hole, and you'd have to be a pretty big one at that.

If you're going to really learn, they'll be more than happy to have you.