PDA

View Full Version : The Candlestick

trevorstalker
11-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Can anyone tell me which muscles are worked during the candlestick, and how are they worked (I assume is through the static hold)?

red5angel
11-09-2004, 04:10 PM
trevorstalker, shouldn't you make some sort of capoeira reference too ;)

Looks like it would work several groups of muscles, shoulders, back and abs. Doesn't look like a bad one for developing over all core strength.

norther practitioner
11-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I bet it hits the quads a bit too.

red5angel
11-09-2004, 04:23 PM
I was thinking that. It's one of those "full body" type exercises. You're probably engaging quite a bit, especially if it's the one where you're starting out horizontal then moving to vertical and back.

Toby
11-09-2004, 06:49 PM
That's like a yoga pose. IIRC it will work the abdominal region mostly. Quads a bit. Arms a bit for stabilising. Nice modeling work BTW.

trevorstalker
11-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
trevorstalker, shouldn't you make some sort of capoeira reference too ;)

Why, if itīs a gymnastics exercise? :D

Didnīt know Capoeiristas used that too... as a drill for what? Macaquinho?

Toby,

Thanx for the info. So, the longer I hold that posture, the better the work?

The modelling credit is due to the guys at drillsandskills.com , not me though... :)

sticky fingers
11-10-2004, 06:19 AM
We do something similar as a triangle choke drill in BJJ, but not held as a static pose.

unixfudotnet
11-10-2004, 06:25 AM
I see that and all i think are "ouch my stomach and lower back muscles".

red5angel
11-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Didnīt know Capoeiristas used that too

I've never seen one do it but there are a ton of stretch/trength exercises we do. Exercises that hit multiple body points like this one are preferred since you maxmize your time.

you could also work alot on the same stabilizers by just doing a plank.

trevorstalker
11-10-2004, 10:24 AM
I've never seen one do it but there are a ton of stretch/trength exercises we do. Exercises that hit multiple body points like this one are preferred since you maxmize your time.

My brother takes capoeira and I remember him doing some bridges and other gymnastics moves, but not the candlestick in particular. Itīs probably used though, since capoeira and gymnastics share common elements.

you could also work alot on the same stabilizers by just doing a plank.

A plank? Whatīs that? You mean a planch (http://www.drillsandskills.com/images/display?path=planch.jpg)?

I donīt know, I probably donīt have the strenght to pull one of those...

red5angel
11-10-2004, 10:31 AM
we do bridges all the time.

nope, I meant plank. It's where you lay face down on the ground, prop yourself up on your elbows, then raise your hips so the only thing touching the ground is your forearms and toes. You keep your spine straight and hold the position. Another thing we do in class from time to time.

Oso
11-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by sticky fingers
We do something similar as a triangle choke drill in BJJ, but not held as a static pose.

was going to say that it was part of the warmup/abwork for the jujitsu class I did.

we did it from flat and then held for a beat at the top and back down slow.

it's a goodun.

we also did one where you laid down next to a partner and you both did the 'hip up' as we called it and passed each other at the peak to drop your legs down on the other side of each other.

norther practitioner
11-10-2004, 12:03 PM
You mean a planch

I took gymnastics as a kid... the coach was the guiness book record holder for planch pushups.... those were sick to watch, full body strength, balance, muscle control...

Toby
11-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by trevorstalker
So, the longer I hold that posture, the better the work?Well, yeah, but it's not particularly strenuous. I mean, you could hold it until you got bored. It's certainly not a strength exercise.