PDA

View Full Version : ng jung-so and yiu-min ?

wingchunalex
08-29-2001, 01:06 PM
rene, you mentioned these two linieages of wing chun. could you tell me more if you know. i read you both your books, they are awsome! they are my favorite wing chun books. especialy the one on yuen kay san. my sifu's teacher was an ming wu (fred wu) and i think he lived in guandong, but im not usure. i know he had a brother who stayed in china. Dr. wu was known more for his bagua zhang than his wing chun if that helps. so thank you.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

reneritchie
08-29-2001, 05:00 PM
Hi Alex,

Though the time scale differs (from several months to a couple of years) at some point after taking Yip Man as a student, Chan Wah-Shun had a stroke and retired back to his home village in Shunde (Sum Dak), leaving his school to his son, Chan Yiu-Min (whom some say was not the best boxer but a champion with the pole) and his junior students to Ng Jung-So (who was often praised for his scholarly understanding and high talent).

Ng Jung-So's system, thus, does not seem that different from Yip Man's. To complicate things, however, Ng's most famous student, Yiu Choi, had first learned from Yuen Kay-San elder brother, Yuen Chai-Wan (until YCW moved to Vietnam). Ng does not seem to have taught any weapons and perhaps only one student learned dummy from him, so in the Yiu Choi system, you see elements of both YCW and NJS in the boxing, but the bamboo dummy and double knives of YCW.

Chan Yiu-Min's early students, such as Jiu Chao and Jiu Wan, seem to also be fairly consisten with what Yip Man taught his early students. In recent years, however, his great-grandchildren have come out with what they claim is the here-to-for "secret" second half of the system which has 3 extra "palm" forms (which use names very similar to Leung Jan's Gulao branch) and a slew of extra weapons.

How do you do your sticking hands? That can also help classify as different branches have different methods.

Rgds,

Rene Ritchie