PDA

View Full Version : Got my Jong today!

BeiKongHui
08-29-2001, 07:29 PM
I ordered a traditional dummy with a corner stand from Great Lion (http://www.woodendummy.net/). The wood is high quality and the craftsmanship is beautiful. I had a good experience with this company and would recommend it to anyone in the market for a MYJ.

I think I'm going to name it "Long Jong Silver"! :p

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
--Khalil Gibran

jbb3141
08-29-2001, 07:57 PM
Wow, they don't give those things away do they?!

chi-kwai
08-29-2001, 08:17 PM
but only if you send them money first.

--
chi kwai

MasterPhil
08-29-2001, 08:40 PM
Sorry, but I can't help feeling a twinge of jealousy at the description of your new baby...

Enjoy!!!

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

kungfu cowboy
08-29-2001, 08:41 PM
I still maintain that they are too expensive.No one needs THAT much profit!! I hereby decree a maximum price of 500 USD to all manufacturers!!

Effective NOW!!

IronFist
08-29-2001, 09:45 PM
kungfu cowboy, sweet plan, dude! So does this minus $500 idea mean that if I buy a $350 PVC dummy with wooden arms, they will send me the dummy and $150 cash? The reciept will look like this:

Order
To: IronFist
Product: PVC dummy w/ wooden arms
Cost: $350
kungfu cowboy discount: -$500
Total cost: -$150

hehe

Iron

Stranger
08-29-2001, 11:56 PM
I think that kung fu cowboy is not suggesting a rebate.

$500 is the max. cost. You can pay less, but you can't pay more. Sounds good.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

kungfu cowboy
08-30-2001, 12:01 AM
LOL, Ironfist! :D

IronFist
08-30-2001, 10:11 PM
At least kungfu cowboy got my joke :P

Dude, you crack me up. I like our "crÃ*ppy looking dummy" threads. hehe

Iron

Vankuen
08-30-2001, 10:31 PM
I got a muk jong from Great Lion Co about a year a half ago, and I must say that the quality is indeed good. I recommend them myself to anyone else who has the pocket change to purchase one.

BKH, make sure you check it about 6 months down the line to verify that no more cracks have sufaced.

As it is an actual trunk, it is likely depending on your location and where youre storing it that it will continue to try and let moiture out, thus cracks will appear. Its good to have some wood fill n' finish and some spray or brush on shellac on hand in case this happens...both of these things you can find at home depot or lowe's.

Oh and something else to look out for...on my dummy, the wood where the leg is fitted seems to have expanded, as the leg is now stuck in place! I cant move it in any further or out for that matter without using a rubber mallet. This is also due to how the dummy reacts to its surroundings. But its just something to look out for.

Other then that.....everything is great with my dummy. You might be able to see it on my website, I think I might have a clip of it on there, I dont remember at this point in time. But the site is on my profile if you care to check it out.

Good training to you!

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

kungfu cowboy
08-30-2001, 10:58 PM
They should have kiln dried it so that wouldn't happen. Is there a warranty?

Vankuen
08-31-2001, 01:20 AM
It was kiln dried during the first month of preperations. The fact of the matter is kiln drying doesnt prevent cracks from happening, it actually brings out cracks all in one process so that those cracks can be filled prior to the final construction.

Dealing with wood, there are never going to be guarantees, its wood, and it reacts to its surroundings. Now if there was a problem with the dummy that was caused from the construction, then yes, he would most likely take it back and fix the problem, although there is no real time warranty for it. He tells you that upfront though.

"Loy lau hoi sung, lut sau jik chung"

kungfu cowboy
09-01-2001, 03:55 AM
I didn't know that it would crack even after kiln drying. It seems like if it was completely dried out, it shouldn't crack.

chongnoi
09-01-2001, 04:03 AM
any wood that is over 3 inches in diameter will crack as weather-environmental conditions change, even if it was kiln dried. Of course the kiln drying takes care of most of the large cracks, but it wiol still crack a little-especially if in a area that can be high or low in humidity such as a basement-or if one take a dummy from say a tropical asian climate and moves it to a dry North USA environemnt. JUst wait until it finaly settles in the room you have it after say 6 months-it will then have reached an equilibrium with it's environment-and then fill in cracks and re-finish. IF you want to avoid this, buy a laminated dummy. This is where you will have 6 -8 pieces of kiln dried hardwood glued together and then lathed into a log which will not crack. Ashville Woodcrafters (www.wooddummy.com) and www.springtimemartialarts.com (http://www.springtimemartialarts.com) make really nice dummies this way.

kungfu cowboy
09-01-2001, 06:15 AM
I have heard arguments supporting both sides about which is better for a jong: solid trunk or laminated wood, but not from anyone who really knows woods AND wooden dummies. Anyone who is in the know that can clear up the differences?

Hiram
09-01-2001, 01:37 PM
www.woodendummy.com (http://www.woodendummy.com)
(don't have one but...) I like the way these look.

sunkuen
09-01-2001, 04:06 PM
at our club has held up just fine and it has seen mucho abuse over the years.

Vankuen
09-03-2001, 04:49 AM
There have been both types of dummies...and both have proven to stand the test of time. Its just what you like I think.

"Loy lau hoi sung, lut sau jik chung"