PDA

View Full Version : Walking on Water

Andy
11-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Is anyone familiar with the phrase "walking on water" as it relates to kung fu practice? If so please let us know how it is applied in your style or what details you can tell us about it.

Shaolinlueb
11-10-2004, 11:42 AM
there was this guy who could do it. his name was jesus, he might know if you ask him. jesus@jesus.com. watch out how you pronounce it though, make sure you get the J in there.

Kristoffer
11-10-2004, 12:35 PM
:D

Newb
11-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
there was this guy who could do it. his name was jesus, he might know if you ask him. jesus@jesus.com. watch out how you pronounce it though, make sure you get the J in there.

My homeboy in LA calls him HEY! SEUS!! and he doesn't seem to mind, maybe it's just my Jesus who'se that way.

SPJ
11-10-2004, 06:57 PM
There are a couple of ways to practice light steps.

There will be a puddle of shallow water. You do step on the bottom. The practice is not to create any splash when you walk "in" it and not "on" it.

There will be a sand area. You practice to walk without leaving prints.

For me, naaah. I will slip and fall in both.

Or I create splashes and prints.

Cheers.

:D

SanSoo Student
11-10-2004, 07:39 PM
My sensei knows how to walk on water...but he will only teach me after I learn how to fire qi palm blasts.

Serpent
11-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by SanSoo Student
My sensei knows how to walk on water...but he will only teach me after I learn how to fire qi palm blasts.
Wow, Jesus is your sifu!?

Andy
11-11-2004, 06:37 AM
The phrase "Walking on Water" refers to an aspect of what is known as light chi gung. If you have no idea as to how these concepts relate to the practice of kung fu please do not post to this thread. If however you are familiar with light chi gung and the phrase "walking on water" as it relates to the practice of kung fu please tell us what you know.

SPJ
11-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Andy;

Please advise what is light Qi Gong.

IF there is hard or heavy Qi Gong in contrast to light Qi Gong.

I only heard of soft and hard Qi Gong in MA applications.

In mantis, there are 8 hardness and 12 softness. (Ba Kang Si Er Ruo).

There are also apparent and hidden hardness and softness. (Ming Kang Ming Ruo and An Kang An Ruo).

There are Qi Gong exercises related to them all.

For the most part, for the hard part is to practice to have a strong forearm, or Iron Arm (Tei Bei Gong).

Well, this is Tang Lang and Qi Gong.

Every school of CMA has its relevant soft and hard Qi Gong.

What is light Qi Gong and what is for?

Walk on water is used to do what in MA?

I posted Tang Lang and soft and hard (Ruan and Ying) Qi Gong.

It is your turn to post what is light Qi Gong and what is walk on water?

Shaolinlueb
11-11-2004, 08:26 AM
i know that you were trying to be serious, but what would KFO be like without smart ass comments :D

FatherDog
11-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Wow, Jesus is your sifu!?

His sifu built my hot rod.

Andy
11-11-2004, 12:12 PM
SPJ,

Thank you for your sincere reply. Light chi gung has a lot to do with rising and being light on your feet as opposed to sinking and being heavy on your feet. Interestingly a person can still be "light" and rooted. In light kung fu a great emphasis is placed upon keeping the vertical axis of the body centered and perfectly straight, perfectly balanced between the two feet. This makes for extremely fast but small footwork. (Of course staying centered ,straight, and balanced very much relates to meditation as well.) Practitioners of many other kung fu styles try to avoid being what they call "double weighted" and emphasize sinking the weight to the lower dan tien.

My perception right now is that wider stances are heavier (keeping the center of gravity lower) while more narrow stances are lighter (keeping the center of gravity higher). Walking on water as I understand it means that as you step, the weight does not sink.

Unfortunately the Hong Kong cinema pokes fun at "light chi gung" grossly over exagerating the "lightness" of kung fu fighters by having them fly from tree top to tree top. Nevertheless there is a grain of truth in their mountain of fiction.

Shaolinlueb
11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Andy
SPJ,

Thank you for your sincere reply. Light chi gung has a lot to do with rising and being light on your feet as opposed to sinking and being heavy on your feet. Interestingly a person can still be "light" and rooted. In light kung fu a great emphasis is placed upon keeping the vertical axis of the body centered and perfectly straight, perfectly balanced between the two feet. This makes for extremely fast but small footwork. (Of course staying centered ,straight, and balanced very much relates to meditation as well.) Practitioners of many other kung fu styles try to avoid being what they call "double weighted" and emphasize sinking the weight to the lower dan tien.

My perception right now is that wider stances are heavier (keeping the center of gravity lower) while more narrow stances are lighter (keeping the center of gravity higher). Walking on water as I understand it means that as you step, the weight does not sink.

Unfortunately the Hong Kong cinema pokes fun at "light chi gung" grossly over exagerating the "lightness" of kung fu fighters by having them fly from tree top to tree top. Nevertheless there is a grain of truth in their mountain of fiction.

martial arts mart sells videos of a Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng who does light chigong. Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng can walk on eggs without them breaking. Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng is also very infamous for his iron groin. You can look him up too.

Becca
11-12-2004, 02:10 AM
Nice post, Andy. I'd never realy thought of light Chi Gung that way, but the more I've dwelled on it, the more I agree.:cool: I have also gotten some funny looks from co-workers from shufflling around the parking lot sifting between stances to see wich fits this idea and wich don't.:o :p

unixfudotnet
11-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
martial arts mart sells videos of a Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng who does light chigong. Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng can walk on eggs without them breaking. Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng is also very infamous for his iron groin. You can look him up too.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=319

Becca
11-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Nice read. Thanx!

FuXnDajenariht
11-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by unixfudotnet
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=319

hes....uh, very......shiiineee :D