PDA

View Full Version : Pro-wrestler vs Shootfighter

rogue
11-10-2004, 06:02 PM
From Bullshido (http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=18352)

Knifefighter
11-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Kurt Angle, a former Olympic wrestler, doesn't really have any submission training, I believe. So, it doesn't surprise me that he was caught in the Kimura. If he knew the counters, he had two opportunities to counter- when it was first applied and when they first went to the ground.

Oh, it was a pro wrestling match- nevermind.

dingyuan
11-10-2004, 07:17 PM
I hate to say this but I think the pro wrestler will prob be destoryed. I really enjoy pro wrestling and hope one day that they will one make everything real, if there's a real martial art called "pro wrestling" in the future, I will drop anything I am learn and go for that.

tug
11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Did anyone else see this? I actually watched that bout because as I was flipping channels the other night, I happened upon this and was actually surprised because it looked like there was an actual, real live takedown happening. And on the WWE? I've never been a big fan of WWE, but I was intrigued because this one was unlike any other bout I had seen, you know, the posturing, the drama, the painfully obvious set-ups, and of course, the predetermined victor.

But on the other hand, bottom line it was a barely interesting diversion.

And if you mean the "pro wrestler" as in Kurt Angle, then yes, I agree, the "pro wrestler" would have been destroyed, and almost was had it not been for the logistics of the event - the WWE being known for what it is, thousands of live, screaming fans, and as I said before, the drama.

OOOH, the DRAMA!!

The whole thing's still a crock. Can you imagine if any one of those guys entered a UFC? I won't even go so far as to mention K1 or Pride for that matter. Well, maybe not Big Show or Undertaker, but Angle?

Less than a snowball's chance in hell, my 2 cents.

jun_erh
11-11-2004, 04:28 PM
some of the pro wrestlers have done alright in PRIDE. Japanese pro wrestlerrs

tug
11-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Ok, so Jun, you are talking about REAL wrestlers right, not the dudes who profess to be REAL wrestlers on WWE?

Just trying to clarify what we are talking about.

Ultimatewingchun
11-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Kurt Angle - like 99.9% of all of today's pro wrestlers here in America - has no quality training in the submissions (hooks) that are employed in real Catch-as-Catch-Can wrestling...the origin of today's pro wrestling. Angle has learned "show" holds. The double wristlock (DWL) that he was caught in...(as it has been called in Catch long before Kimura adopted it)...which Angle basically did nothing to try and counter - probably would have been the end of this match if it were real - but this match (like all of today's pro wrestling) was clearly a "work"...no matter how convincing an actor Angle is.

Some of the Japanese pro wrestlers that have been successful in MMA (ie.- Sakuraba)...have had a bit more Catch training than guys like Angle...as well as some training in judo, jiu jitsu, and some striking arts.

There is some great Catch going on here in the U.S. - but it's mainly low profile private and semi-private stuff (ie.- Tony Cecchine and some others) and has basically nothing to do with today's "pro" wrestling.

sticky fingers
11-12-2004, 05:05 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Did I hear the commentary right? It sounds like Angle was declared the winner.

norther practitioner
11-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Yeah.. 3 taps on the matt means a pin....

SifuAbel
11-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by rogue
From Bullshido (http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=18352)

Sombody spends too much quailty time at bullcrappo.

rogue
11-12-2004, 07:08 PM
I resent that, it's never been quality time.:p

SifuAbel
11-12-2004, 07:14 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!! bwahahaha

rogue
11-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Abel, I was just looking at your sparring clip. What kind of head gear were you guys using? Did you like it?

SifuAbel
11-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Now? You wait 'till now?!?!?! After all this time?!?!

Those were the original DuPont Fist gear Full contact helmets. They were a little clunky, but they afforded true contact without accute damage. So we could could go to the face and body more vigorously more times a week. At the higher levels it wasn't "if" you got hit in the head but "when". So they were a welcome addition to our training. You still came out of it with a headache and a sore neck. But you didn't have to get plastic surgery twice a month or look like a caveman.

SifuAbel
11-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Speaking of bullcrapoo, I'm giving them a hard time. Its like darrel or dwain, phrost, whatever his name is can no longer stand my mear prescense.

It just so easy to get them going. At least I troll less here if I troll there more. Its like a troll release vitamin.

Becca
11-13-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
Now? You wait 'till now?!?!?! After all this time?!?!

Since you're on the topic... Was the form in the other link a monkey form? Name of form?

SifuAbel
11-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Yes, a monkey form. It was a small piece of a much larger form, old sage monkey.

Becca
11-16-2004, 12:36 AM
:)

SifuAbel
11-16-2004, 12:47 AM
New clips online, enjoy.

If you can't get them, that means I've overshot my bandwidth until dec.1.

The no hand kip up makes a weird thud sound.

rogue
11-16-2004, 06:37 AM
Abel, would you say the students were relying on kicking too much? The guy at about the 1:04 mark looked interesting, what stance did he start in? I noticed that those backing up even during light sparring didn't fare too well.

scotty1
11-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Sombody spends too much quailty time at bullcrappo.

Yeah! Somebody does! :D

SifuAbel
11-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey, they're being cool for once, lets see how long it lasts.

SifuAbel
11-16-2004, 12:02 PM
That was our basic fighting stance, "Cheung Bo".

BTW, some of those were heavy hits, the gear made it look soft. At the :29 you can hear "watch the power, don't head hunt."

I wouldn't say we relyed on them as much as filled the range with them. They are integral. I purposly overshot many of the hook and rounds. Most if not all the heavy hits were hand shots.

I HATED the chest protectors, they made me barrel bodied. I couldn't bring my elbows in to gaurd. You could take a baseball bat to them, but they were more of a hindrance.

rogue
11-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I hear you about the chest protectors. Was that you doing that sweep?

SifuAbel
11-16-2004, 05:54 PM
No that was me being swept. Unfortunatly, I kicked out at that moment and caught my boxing bro. in the crease of the hip with my heal. Slipped right under the protector. Ouch, poor guy. He shook it off.