PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure and pain

Toby
11-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Another juice thread :rolleyes:. Last night after training I came home to just over a pound of chopped chicken breast, some cheese and lettuce with which to make burritos. Several later, I decided to make some juice. 1 (or 2?) orange(s), 1/2" ginger, 1 punnet strawberries, 2 large slices watermelon == 700ml (25 fl.oz.) of juicy goodness. Oh, I was in heaven. A couple of posts on kfm, a shower and a protein shake later and I was ready for bed. Or so I thought. I had stomach cramps from "eating" too much and lay in a foetal position for a long time before falling asleep :(. But man, that juice was good at the time!

This morning I made an apple, a pear, 1/2" ginger, 3 carrots, 3 celery sticks, 2 slices of watermelon for another 700ml of juice. It seems that no matter what I put in, it tastes unreal. Hard on the intestinal system, though ;).

Serpent
11-10-2004, 10:31 PM
You ate several burritos and drank one juice and you're blaming the juice for your stomach cramps!?

Toby
11-10-2004, 10:39 PM
I ate a ****load of chicken, true. But I usually eat a lot after training and follow up with a protein shake an hour or so later before bed. So the unusual thing was the juice. I drank it in one go and as it went down I felt my stomach straining at the volume. It wasn't only the juice, but that was what tipped me over the edge. I would've been alright without it. Tasted grrreat, though ;).

On a side note, who knows about ginger? I started adding it on Ka's advice and it's excellent, but is it tough on you? Last night I put about say, the equivalent of your index finger from the last knuckle down, and the same this morning. It gives a great "bite", but is that too much?

rubthebuddha
11-10-2004, 10:57 PM
also be aware that tossing down a ton of really cold stuff can do it, regardless of volume. your tummy, which may have too little blood (from the workout -- it's all in your quads), too much (from the burrito), or a unhappy combination of the two (blood simply not where you need it), is sitting happy at 98.6°F, and all of a sudden, some nitwit tosses back a litre of 38° juice and your poor tummy simply says to itself, "lousy ****er things he can do this to me?! i'll show him!"

slower next time, cap'n, slower. be good to your buddha. otherwise, it'll cramp up like a sum*****.

Serpent
11-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Yeah, rtb's right about the temperature thing. That could well be a factor.

The amount of ginger you're using is fine, but have days off. Ginger is one of the four great essentials:

Onion, Garlic, Chilli, Ginger

These things are beyond wonderful and should be used in as much food as possible. ;)

But seriously, they are so good for you, it's unbelievable.

Toby
11-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Temperature? Maybe. The strawberries and watermelon were in the fridge, so it was cooler than the usual fruitbowl room-temperature juice.

I'm a big fan of garlic. Onion? Both onion and garlic are neglected a bit in my diet because with a breastfeeding wife I can't cook with it. Chilli - I love it so much it makes my pants feel tight. One thing Americans are good at is making hot sauce. I've got some super-death hot sauce that my parents brought me last time they were in the states that I swear is the hottest product ever made. It's in a Tabasco-sized bottle that's still 2/3 full after almost 2yrs. Why? Because 3-4 drops is more than enough to take you through a whole dinner plate of food. 4 drops in a can of baked beans is too much. 3 is just right. I would pay good money to see someone eat even a teaspoon of this stuff. They got me a 2nd bottle of a different one, but both expire next year and there's no way I'll get through the first one :(. But yeah, I love spicy. Mexican, Szechuan, Thai, Indian - I'm hungry just thinking about it. I'm even willing to pay the "sweaty-freak-in-the-restaurant-look" and "morning-after-colonic-irrigation" prices for spicy foods. Mmmm, lucky I'm going out for Japanese (http://www.tsunamisushi.com.au/) tomorrow night to satiate my foreign food fetish. Even better? I'm not paying ;).

Serpent
11-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Toby
I'm a big fan of garlic. Onion? Both onion and garlic are neglected a bit in my diet because with a breastfeeding wife I can't cook with it.
Wow, that sucks!

Chilli - I love it so much it makes my pants feel tight.
LOL! :D Me too!

They got me a 2nd bottle of a different one, but both expire next year and there's no way I'll get through the first one :(.
Kick it to me! Kick it to me!

:)

Toby
11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Hmm. I may be able to do that. Lemme check when I get home. It's in the fridge although things like that usually don't have to be until opened. If it's not necessary to refridgerate it I'll get back to you. Bear in mind that although unopened (AFAI can remember) it's almost 2yrs old ;).

Breastfeeding mums (sp ;)) can eat garlic and onion, etc, but it upsets the baby's stomach. Same with alcomohol. My wife hasn't drunk for about 5yrs. Just as she finishes feeding one, I give 'er another :D. We're finished now though, so I'll get her smashed in a few months. With the garlic etc, the baby'll just have trouble sleeping and probably mild stomach cramps. I'm sure you can empathise with the importance of baby sleeping at night, so we do anything we can to avoid stomach upsets :p.

Ka
11-11-2004, 12:47 AM
T
Re: ginger
I have been told in TCM its in the warming category.
A natropath I know refers it as warming and stimulating. It Promotes grastric secretions and aids the absorption of food.I know it has an expectorant effect(oils,teas) on lungs,and causes eliminative sweating from my Aromatherapy stuff.I have read it has vit A, D and some amino acids
Good for indigestion, flatulence, nausea(morning sickness) poor circulation
Its the ****nizt
That amount is simiular to what I use,but I do peel it.I know there are stonger amounts of the active oils in the skin.

Hard on the intestinal system, though
There is no chance that you will ever get constipation while doing this juice thang!
I think it was probally the amount of fruit and veg you drank on top of the chicken giving your LI a lot to handle in a short period hence the cramps.

Toby
11-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Ka
That amount is simiular to what I use,but I do peel it.I know there are stonger amounts of the active oils in the skin.I did the first time I used it. I've had it in about 4 drinks now. After the first time I got lazy :p. I just cut thin slices off the end of the root.

Originally posted by Ka
There is no chance that you will ever get constipation while doing this juice thang!No. I tend to agree :).

Originally posted by Ka
I think it was probally the amount of fruit and veg you drank on top of the chicken giving your LI a lot to handle in a short period hence the cramps. That's what I thought - too much load, so to speak. 0.5kg of chicken, a bowl of shredded lettuce, a bowl of grated cheese, a few burrito tortillas plus the juice was a fair bit.

Tell me juice guy, how much "goodness" do you know (or estimate) you get from juice? E.g. this morning's juice - 3 carrots, 3 celery sticks, 2 slices watermelon, 1 apple, 1 pear, ginger. What am I getting from that? Besides the awesome taste, which makes it all worthwhile anyway.

Samurai Jack
11-11-2004, 01:33 AM
Toby, have you learned nothing from my Gatorade story of just a few days ago? ;)

Perhaps it's nothing and a stomach bug is circulating. I hear Ginger is excellent for settling an upset stomach, so maybe you just aren't using enough. Or not. What do I know?

Toby
11-11-2004, 02:00 AM
^ Lol!

Serpie, while procrastinating I searched for my sauce. Here (http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/Web/img/suddend.jpg) it is. Blair's Sudden Death sauce. Turns out the little skull that comes attached is a keepsake. Dunno where mine is. Looking at this (http://www.insanechicken.com/hot_sauce.html) site, the other one is a Whoopin' Ass sauce, so not as hot apparently. I couldn't say which flavour though.

Serpent
11-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Just as she finishes feeding one, I give 'er another :D.
LOL. Good lad!

;)

Toby
11-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Serp, it's Whoopin' Ass Smokin' Mesquite. PM me your address if you want it and I'll see what I can do. No specific instructions about keeping it cool nor an expiry date.

Serpent
11-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Ginger is a hot food in TCM with all that entails. It is bloody brilliant stuff.

IronFist
11-11-2004, 09:07 AM
I kept trying to think of a clever way to call you a hippie in this thread, but I can't. Your juicer just sounds so cool!

What happens to the fruit after you make juice? Does it get diced up like in a blender? Or does it come out as a dried up core? Or what? And what is this 750ml you speak of? Oh wait, that's 3/4 of a liter and I know how much that is. Wow that's a lot of juice! :eek:

It's good to see that you're getting good use out of your juicer. Does it get all sticky (from the sugar) if you don't clean it right away after you use it?

Ford Prefect
11-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Dunno about Tob's, but I definately have to clean mine. I tried juicing up about 9 apples last night and by apple 5 it was starting to clog. **** you Jack Lalane!

Toby
11-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
I kept trying to think of a clever way to call you a hippie in this thread, but I can't. Your juicer just sounds so cool!Lol! Wait until I get the wheatgrass crop going, then you can call me a hippie.

What happens to the fruit after you make juice? Does it get diced up like in a blender? Or does it come out as a dried up core? Or what? And what is this 750ml you speak of? Oh wait, that's 3/4 of a liter and I know how much that is. Wow that's a lot of juice! :eek:Well, mine is an auger-type juicer. So there's a graduated screw in the middle that draws the fruit up one end and crushes it against a cone. The hard waste goes out a small hole in the end of the cone and the juice and some liquidy pulp (depending on the fruit/veg) comes out the other end into a collection jug. Mostly I drain out the pulp (it comes with a mesh screen for the jug), but the other night (and last night) I leave it in. E.g. I like orange pulp and watermelon pulp's not bad if there are no stray seeds. Apple pulp - not so good. 750ml - you're learning this metric stuff :D. But I also put "25 fl. oz." specifically for you :p.

It's good to see that you're getting good use out of your juicer. Does it get all sticky (from the sugar) if you don't clean it right away after you use it? Dunno. I make the juice on the kitchen island bench next to the sink and then put the collected juice in the fridge while I clean the juicer, so I don't leave it long enough to get sticky. I'm sure it would, though, and it might be a pain to clean if hardened fruit got stuck inside. It basically just screws together. Takes about 5 seconds to put together. So taking it apart is simple and I do that and just run it under water. I haven't soaped it up yet because I don't care if it has fruit stains (which it does). Just hot running water, rinse and rub at any fruity areas with fingers. Takes a couple of minutes at most.

Ford, you need an auger juicer ;). You get a fair bit of pulp with apples (I reckon apples suck for juicing) but if you feed in the odd carrot or celery between apple pieces it will clean out all the pulp. Mine collects in the little screen and every now and then I just tip the screen in the waste bowl, put it back and keep juicing. Easy.

I love fresh juice! I can almost see myself getting a Samson Ultra twin screw machine one day :eek:.

Toby
11-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Oh, BTW, last night I tried the stomach cramp thing again. 2 oranges, 1 kiwi, 1/2" ginger, 3 carrots, 1 slice watermelon. Made about 600ml juice this time and I put it in the fridge while I did a forearm/stomach workout after dinner. Right before my last exercise (heavy hammer) and after I'd finished stomach stuff I downed it. No cramps last night. Maybe because I had a smaller dinner - two kangaroo steaks, bok choy, broccoli, green beans - and the workout helped me get through some of that first.

It doesn't seem to matter what I put in the juicer - it all tastes so bloody good. I might try a couple of drops of that hot sauce next time :eek: kinda like a fruity bloody mary. See how that goes with the ginger.

rubthebuddha
11-11-2004, 08:47 PM
this thread reminded me of ginger ribs, and i finally just got the recipe from my old roommate. she made the best ribs ever, and it was all because of her ginger sauce:

1/2 c ketchup (or catsup if you prefer)
1/3 c soy sauce
3 Table spoons brown sugar
1 Table spoon Ginger
1/2, 1/3, 3, 1

bake the ribs un-sauced for about 30-45, take 'em out and sauce 'em up, then cook 'em for another 15-30. total cooking time should be an hour, so subtract your un-sauce cooking time from 60 minutes and cook them for that long with the saucitude. these are truly uber-good.

Toby
11-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
1/2 c ketchup (or catsup if you prefer)
It's called tomato sauce. That's to-MAH-to, not to-MAY-to. :D

Thanks for sharing rub (or rub's ex-roomie). I've been using a bit of brown sugar lately for sauces and glazes. E.g. I made a kangaroo chilli meatloaf last weekend with a glaze with brown sugar, to-MAH-to sauce, Worcestestestorshire sauce, soy sauce, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper. Came out alright. Might give some ribs a go this weekend. I got a new Weber a few weeks back, and they'd go well in the Weber.

These threads make me hungry :(.

Serpent
11-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Worcestestestorshire sauce
LOL.

*shakes head*

rubthebuddha
11-11-2004, 10:25 PM
aye, but it's pronounced wishtoshareyoursistersauce. :p

****, now i want them ribs. maybe i can convince mrs. buddha to go get some ribs for me.

IronFist
11-11-2004, 10:46 PM
two kangaroo steaks

wtf mate?

Um yeah we don't have those over in America. But then again, we have Hungry Man frozen dinners so I don't really care :D

How does a kangaroo steak taste? I've had an aligator sandwich before, but never kangaroo meat. They would have to import it I guess.

rubthebuddha
11-11-2004, 10:53 PM
How does a kangaroo steak taste? I've had an aligator sandwich before, but never kangaroo meat. They would have to import it I guess. just try your local PETA community garden -- i'm sure they have a few kangaroo steaks they could sell you.

Toby
11-11-2004, 11:10 PM
wtf mate?I was just talking about kangaroo on Mat's protein thread and coincidentally had it for dinner last night.

Um yeah we don't have those over in America. But then again, we have Hungry Man frozen dinners so I don't really care :D*insert throwing up emoticon* Gimme kangaroo over those any day :D. We don't get Hungry Man dinners, but I've read enough of your descriptions of them.

How does a kangaroo steak taste? I've had an aligator sandwich before, but never kangaroo meat. They would have to import it I guess. Taste? My wife tells me just like kidney, which scares me. AFAIK I've never eaten kidney. I wouldn't voluntarily touch offal. I'm a bit fussy like that. Anyway, a bit gamey, more flavoursome than beef. Maybe an equivalent flavour strength of mutton vs. lamb, if that makes sense. It's probably all in the preparation. I've had venison that was quite gamey before, but I've also had well-prepared elk that was pretty mild, and other elk that was quite strong. Maybe the cut as well. All Australian meats are pretty good for you, except the imported ones. Kangaroo, emu, crocodile, all lean and quality protein. It's the sheep, pigs and cows that are crappy, but that's what we eat the most of. Kangaroo's pretty much the perfect food source over here. They eat and drink a fraction of what European grazing animals would, are lean and muscular and perfectly adapted to the environment. Plus there are millions of them and they don't need to be kept and cared for like European animals. I'm sure they'd do well in the southern states over there if people wanted to breed them.

I've had an aligator sandwich before ...:o I don't need to know what you and your mates get up to on weekends ;).

They would have to import it I guess. Dunno. Don't you guys have wild emus in Texas these days?

rubthebuddha
11-11-2004, 11:16 PM
http://texnews.com/texas97/emu111097.html

Toby
11-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Yeah, they're god**** fast. I've hit a good few in my time though. The article is sort of right about the danger - this (http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11059551%255E2761,00.html) happened a month or so ago in my state. But I never thought of them as dangerous and that seems like a freak occurrence.

I wonder what happened to the Texan ones. Surely they could be butchered for meat ...

rubthebuddha
11-11-2004, 11:57 PM
some are eaten, some are not :( (http://www.upc-online.org/fall97/f97TexasEmu.html)

Toby
11-12-2004, 12:12 AM
****. That's intense. I wouldn't want him as my doctor.

Toby
11-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Serp and any other Aussies into hot sauce, I found a place that sells the one I've got. Here (http://www.deathsauce.com.au/index.html) it is. Looks like they've got a few retailers/distributors throughout Oz.

Serpent
11-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Cool. Love the name of the website! :D

Ming Yue
11-12-2004, 10:46 AM
try this:

At least 2 teaspoons minced fresh Thai or serrano chile (hot and red), including seeds
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
1-2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

mix all that up and blend with (gasp) butter or a butter substitute. Amazingly good on grilled corn on the cob or broiled fish.

Ka
11-16-2004, 09:59 PM

Tell me juice guy,
Is that anything like Duff Man,oh yeah.

how much "goodness" do you know (or estimate) you get from juice? E.g. this morning's juice - 3 carrots, 3 celery sticks, 2 slices watermelon, 1 apple, 1 pear, ginger. What am I getting from that? Besides the awesome taste, which makes it all worthwhile anyway.
I'll just get my lab out,I would say a sh it load of frutose, antioxidents, vits and minerals, lots of H2O.

Toby
11-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Ka
I'll just get my lab out,I would say a sh it load of frutose, antioxidents, vits and minerals, lots of H2O. Duff Man, I worded it badly - what I meant was compared to eating the fruit what amount of goodness is left? Like if I ate 3 apples vs. juicing 3 apples.

Since we're ttt'ing this thread - 1st wheatgrass crop is just about finished germinating :D.

Vash
11-16-2004, 10:11 PM
1st wheatgrass crop is just about finished germinating :D.

Of course that's what yer growin'.

I believe it.

Frikkin foreigners.

Toby
11-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Once I tried growing tomato plants under the stairs, but they never flowered and my parents found them and I got in trouble ... :D

Ka
11-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of da hErb!

I would say its just the fibre that you would be missing out on.There is a lot of debate re: centrifugal jucers & "goodness" but with the cold press auger style I don't think you can go far wrong.
For some of the original Raw Foods guru's writings search for Hippocrates Health Centre(right here in Oz) or Dr Ann Wigmores articles.
Having a juicer doesn't mean you stop eating fruit.:D